Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I have 2 Kaywoodies I believe are from the 70's. They are very good pipes. I have however heard to be beware of their new pipes.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I have two Kaywoodies that are about 70 years old or so and they smoke great. not the best lookers, but they have a spot in my rotation.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I bought a 1970s kaywoodie - got a good price on it and it smokes like a champ. I would say they have a solid rep for making a good inexpensive pipe - but I can't comment on the new ones.

quaffer

Lurker
Sep 8, 2012
I have two, a new school and a four-digit from the late 1930's. The new one is definitely a "you get what you pay for" pipe. (I call it my Kaywookie due to its appearance and the noises it makes while being smoked.) The four-digit is a decent piece of briar.
It's all good as long as you don't mind pipes with stingers. I dislike stingers, so both of my Kaywoodies are tucked away for future sale.

billinsfl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2010
I have two Kaywoodies from the 1920's: they are as nice as any Dunhill from that era, methinks. And though they were a bit more affordable than a Dunhill in those days, they were not cheap. The older ones (pre-1950) casn be considered excellent quality pipes for their day. As time went on they became more affordable, value-engineered accordingly. For a real blast check out their "Heirloom" series from the early 1950's and late 1960's: carved head of figures. I like 'em old.

nightmarejones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2012
I have only one now and I LOVE it!It too is a "Standard" a straight billiard 05 from the early 50's.It smokes beautifully with any one of my 4 usual blends with no transfer of flavor.

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I have one from the 60's that I love, had a new one for a few weeks, but I didn't like it, so I gave it away..more because of the shape...

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
I have a bunch of KWs - 2 of my first pipes in the 60s were KWs, and in the last several years I've picked up a dozen or so brand new ones as well as estates going back to the 30s. They are all solid smokers and when I'm traveling, I like the ones with stingers that you can open up easily while still hot. The Limited Editions and POYs that Bill Feuerback makes are in effect high grades, but priced way below what some are now going for.
The KW factory in Peekskill hosts the Christmas Slow Smoking events and the tour is wonderful. KW has immense stores of raw briar, ageing away.
hp

les

Aug 1, 2012
The new ones that are in their value lines are terrible. Haven't tried the more expensive new ones so I can't speak to them. I do love my old Yello-Boles and KBBs so I would guess the older (pre-1960s) Kaywoodie pipes would be nice. I have 3 but haven't had time to clean them up as I picked up a lot of old estates and those aren't at the top of my list to restore.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
My first pipe was a Kaywoodie 500 (see pic) from the early 60's.
daily-carry-454x600.jpg

It continues to be my daily carry pipe.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Kaywoodie pipes are great smokers. I have a Standard #13 Dublin, A Medium Billiard Short Saddle Bit #40, And A Standard Bulldog Partially Rusticated Diamond Saddle. These were all estate pipes that just needed to be cleaned up abit. Easy smokers.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Just realized I should have noted that I, a long time ago, had my Kaywoodie converted to a traditional stem, eliminating the screw thread and other metal stuff. Guess it is no longer a true Kaywoodie, but I still favor it. Been through about 5 stems so I forgot that it came otherwise. I favor no filters or other engineered "improvements". Straight through from bit to bowl.

checotah

Feb 7, 2012
Sent it to Mark Tinsky (I think) and he did all the work. If it wasn't Mark, then it was a bunch of years ago, and I just don't remember, other than I had a pipe maker do the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.