PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
4noggins.com is selling on HH Old Vintage Syrian Tobacco at $5.85 a tin. I haven't tried it but I do like Latakia blends like SG Luxury Navy Flake; GLP Quite Nite; Balkan Sobrainie and other Balkans.
I think most of the Lats I'v smoked have Cyprian, so this would be good chance to delve into Syrian lats.
It is anything special? I'm temped to buy the limit of ten but perhaps I should just pickup a tin or two. I've already spent two months tobacco allowance this month, so I'm fighting off another *7^@! TAD attack.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Brass: here's my review if it'll help.
This is a smooth and creamy latakia dominant blend, well balanced by the other ingredients. The Kentucky is noticeable here and there, and adds a pleasing burley note and a hint of spice that takes a back seat in the latter department to the Oriental and Turkish components. Quality light and dark Virginias give a solid base to the blend, adding the natural sweetness one would expect from them. I am surprised that a Balkan with this much latakia is not a lat-bomb, which works to the favor of my personal taste. Smokey and woodsy, it is like a better, bolder version of Gawith's Squadron Leader without the hay taste, a more pleasing naturally sweet Virginia base, and light spice. The components are well mixed, resulting in a consistent tasting mixture that burns even and cool. One match and you may finish without relighting. Made for smokers who want a semi-complex tasting creamy mild to medium English blend. Your friends will smell it and think you've started a campfire in your den.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
MacBaren said they only have about four years left before they run out of Syrian latakia. I'd suggest getting a few tins. If it turns out not to really knock you over, you'll doubtlessly be able to trade some at some point.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I doubt Islamic State aka ISIS will be promoting the export of any more Syrian Latakia and the civil war there makes it seem a far off notion that more will appear. But before I spent a bundle on Syrian Latakia as an investment, I would think market forces and less turmoil in Syria will, in the fullness of time, bring back Syrian Latakia in abundance. Think about Perique, it was all but extinct. My Perique futures are now worthless that market forces have intervened.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I also haven't tried it yet. but did get a few tins in a large lot from one of the forum members I purchased from. I guess I will get a few more just in case that is.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
This is a smooth and creamy latakia dominant blend
Smokey and woodsy, it is like a better, bolder version of Gawith's Squadron Leader
Nail head, that was a hammer.. Smooth and creamy was my first and continuing opinion.
Now, what will time do to this blend, is it worth putting down a goodly amount?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Now, what will time do to this blend, is it worth putting down a goodly amount?
A valid question. One must remember that the Syrian Latakia MacBaren's is using, is something they have had for quite some time. So in that sense, one gets an idea of how age has effected the tobacco right out of the tin. I personally really like it, and it gets even better as the tin "breathes" once open. I think I have about 20 tins, so I'm not too worried about aging. Get some and try it! You can't beat the price.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
James: More often than not, age doesn't help English blends over the long haul. I find after a few years, latakia -especially Cyprian - can dull a little. I also notice that varies from English blend to English blend. Because there are a variety of tobaccos in this one, some age could help, but I can't see it being a night and day difference at any stage. I would say much the same for most English blends after, say, the four to five year mark. Because this has a bit of Virginia, which ages well, you'll notice a little difference because that will age more than the other components, and give the impression that the Syrian latakia has weakened a little. Syrian latakia is less sweeter than Cyprian, so there's that to consider, too, although the sweetness in this product comes from the other tobaccos.
Having said all of that, I have cellared a few tins.
Btw, you may also want to check out MacBaren's Solent Mixture. Here's my review:
A well blended aromatic/English blend that burns well, cool, and even. There's a taste of rum, and a cocoa note or two from the burley. Overall, the Virginias are earthy and modestly sweet. The black cavendish adds enough of a vanilla hit that well enjoins the other sweet flavors without controlling them. The mild addition of Syrian latakia pushes a smokey and slightly woodsy flavor, adding complimentary strength to the other ingredients. The multiplicity of flavors are lightly amplified by a mild spice that I've tasted in other MacBaren blends. Best smoked in a wide bowl for full effect, and while it may not be an all day smoke for some, it's certainly a mixture you can reach for more than once a day. One of the better crossover blends on the market with enough strength to satisfy non-lat bomb aficionados without disappointing those who crave a stronger latakia presence.

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
I doubt Islamic State aka ISIS will be promoting the export of any more Syrian Latakia and the civil war there makes it seem a far off notion that more will appear.
Jack, you got that right!
Here is how ISIS takes care of tobacco and Scotch:
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2015/06/16/isis-lights-up-and-pours-out/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GunBlog+%28Everyday+No+Days+Off+-+Gun+Blog%29

Jul 15, 2011
Here's where I stand: I LOVE Latakia, I LOVE nicotine. HH Vintage Syrian has both of them in spades. Nice smokey flavor, Kentucky gives it a sort of meaty, robust quality that I really, really like. I can't recommend it enough.

Jul 15, 2011
Doing good cobguy, getting married next month, staying active, eating healthy, working less hours, making more money. All is right in my world! :mrgreen:

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Excellent! Glad I stumbled upon this thread. I got the email about the sale and was planning on grabbing 5 tins myself. Now that I've read the great reviews I will be buying it for sure. Thanks fellas. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Doing good cobguy, getting married next month, staying active, eating healthy, working less hours, making more money. All is right in my world! :mrgreen:
Really great to hear ... congrats!! :clap:
On topic ... here's my last jarring session:
15%2B-%2B1

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
"I would think market forces and less turmoil in Syria will, in the fullness of time, bring back Syrian Latakia in abundance."
Syrian Latakia has not been produced in large quantities since the 1960's because of a Government ban on clear cutting and burning wood, the same wood that was used to smoke the tobacco. A small batch was made in the 90's but none since then. Once this stuff is gone it is gone forever. Mark my words this will become the new Penzance, Balkan Sobranie etc. Once people realize they cannot get this anymore it will be elevated to the status of "it is so great I gotta have it at any price"

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I doubt Islamic State aka ISIS will be promoting the export of any more Syrian Latakia and the civil war there makes it seem a far off notion that more will appear. But before I spent a bundle on Syrian Latakia as an investment, I would think market forces and less turmoil in Syria will, in the fullness of time, bring back Syrian Latakia in abundance.
Politics has nothing to do with why there is no Syrian latakia. There was one producer. He stopped in 1998. Market forces and all the rest of that have nothing to do with it.
Once people realize they cannot get this anymore it will be elevated to the status of "it is so great I gotta have it at any price"
God I hope not. :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Thank you all. I'm ordering 5 tins and will try it out. I'll open a tin and let it breath for, what, a day?
Rich is cool. I asked him how many, and he said since it was readily available, get a few, try it, and order more if I like it. Ordering 5 at $5.85 a tin essentially give you free shipping.

Status
Not open for further replies.