PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
I am on a TAD binge. I have about $150 in TAD money at my disposal. I hear very mixed reviews on the Mississippi River and wanted to hear some opinions from pipers here. FVF has glowing reviews(I am liking some flakes I am smoking now BCFD, Klondike Gold and Christmas Cheer 2013.)My main concern is a lot of people claim it is a PITA to prep for smoking. I am new to the hobby and really just now fooling with the flakes. Should I hold off on FVF until I get more experience or just grab some while I can? Any other suggestions on baccy are welcome. So far added to the flakes mentioned above I like the FM series and I like McClellands Anniversary any other suggestions?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I love Mississippi River and haven't found it a challenge to prep at all. I simply pull a bowl full from my jar, and crumble the tobacco into a loose pile of ribbon cut tobacco. I then set it out to dry for an hour before loading with your favourite method.
-- Pat

masspiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2014
@rsuninv LMAO it does sound like a great method I will try that. :rofl:

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
+1 rsuninv
FVF (fresh)with some drying time is very good. With some age on it and prepped correctly, can be an amazing smoke. I haven't tried Mississippi River yet but its on my list.

mrmotoyoshi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 8, 2014
Motoyoshi, Japan
FVF flake is amazing. If you are a VA fan, then you will enjoy it. If you're still testing the waters, SG Best Brown Flake is another wonderful VA with less tongue bite.
Mississippi River is good but I wouldn't break your back trying to find it.

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
They are quite different.
Mississippi River is a crumbly cake that is easy to prepare. The components are VAs, Perique and Latakia.
FVF has no Perique or Latakia and comes in long flakes. It is a beautiful example of tightly pressed Virginas. Prepping is a little more complex, but not really bothersome. In fact, I like the feeling of handling the flake - it is part of the pipester's ritual.
Both can require drying.
Have fun exploring them.

Status
Not open for further replies.