PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
Good morning,
I was smoking my pipe last night and was thinking about life and the thought of trying to smoke a Churchwarden crossed my mind. I figured I would stir the pot and ask if God would prefer a Churchwarden or a nose warmer? Just kidding. In all seriousness, what are the thoughts on Churchwarden pipes? I have very extensive experience with my one pipe and maybe a dozen bowls... Any suggestions on a good Churchwarden are also appreciated.
Thank you all in advance.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I really like the looks of them and keep telling myself I should get one. I think they would help cool down the smoke a bit too but people who actually have them can comment on that.
Here's a sharp Savinelli Punto Oro.
002-033-35992.jpg

I have several churchwardens, my nicest being a Northern Briars Warden with a huge stacked bowl. I do not notice the smoke being any cooler than a nosewarmer. When you draw in on the stem, the speed is way more incredible that you could imagine, so a few inches doesn't really do any thing.
I love my Northern Briars Warden, but I don't smoke it very often. First off, you can't use your hands while smoking. They are trapped into holding the cumbersome pipe, and smoking while having to be trapped into just setting there is not a pleasant thing for me. I get my best smokes when I forget about the pipe altogether and lose myself in doing something else. But, I smoke mine mostly on movie nights, because the bowl is so deep, I can get over two hours of smoking time out of the thing.

Also, they are so big that they aren't convenient to carry with you , and they draw a lot more attention than just a regular pipe. Some people have a problem with this, but if you don't mind a couple of wizard jokes... then no problem. :puffy:

Reactions: odobenus

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I have several churchwardens and I love them. Great for sitting around a campfire or while reading a book (they are also sometimes referred to as "reading" pipes). I like to hold my pipe while smoking (I'm not a clencher) and I do most of my smoking in my backyard so they are good for me.
Somewhere in between sizes is this Savinelli Qandale (I already have a different Qandale) on my list of pipes to get:
002-033-37968.4730.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And I have one ugly one, a pot on a straight stem. It gets smoked once a year or less. If I had one similar to the captain's, I'd smoke it.
Oh, or one like Peck's or shanez's.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have a Czech made churchwarden ... pretty good pipe, but one is enough for me. I do smoke it every so often, but pretty much I am of the same opinion as Cosmic

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Love the looks of a churchwarden but only rarely use mine. I have a Stanwell HCA and only use the CW stem about 4 times a year.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
If my house was burning down, this Ser Jacopo churchwarden would be in the first out the door grab. I love smoking English blends out of this massive ODA sized pipe. However, I also have a beautiful Castello churchwarden that smokes like crap. She is pretty to look at but doesn't make me happy.
I like the big churchwardens personally. Cosmic seems to be in agreement above. I also like to lay the bowl on my belly when reading a good book, so cool and chill.
That said, I will not buy another churchwarden. I believe you only need one in your stable. I don't chase the big pipes or long stem/shanks much any more.
L0opWeA.jpg

Reactions: odobenus

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I've always been intrigued by churchwardens, but can't bring myself to get one. They just seem a bit to awkward to use. Visually they are interesting no doubt, but functionally I think there is something missing, at least in how I use my pipes.

Jan 8, 2013
I love my wardens. Great for a good sit down smoke while reading or watching a movie or after finding a great spot to watch a sunset. Not great for walking around unless you're careful not to bump it into things. But if you are a clencher and are out for a walk, the pipe reaches your destination 2.3 seconds before you do :mrgreen:

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I decided a few months in that I "needed" one. I got this Big Ben Dublin.
I've come to realize it's roughly a semi-annual pipe for me. Laziness dictates I most often grab a standard sized pipe from the rack and not go dig for the super long pipe cleaners.
At this rate, I should have it properly broken in by 2042.
ben-338x600.jpg

jay-roger.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I have three of Vauen's LOTR inspired Auenland churchwardens, a large AKB meer claw, and an MM Wizard. They are fun from time to time, but far too cumbersome for regular use.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My first pipe was a churchwarden, and it doesn't really see much use. Even though it's light, it's still too heavy to clench, and awkward when clenching. It's ideal for holding with my arm bent at the elbow when driving: extremely short distance to my mouth.
I like them, 'wardens. I'm eyeing the Savinelli Quandale.

Status
Not open for further replies.