Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning all. Found a pipe at Pipes and Cigars that I am liking the look of but it's a type I have no experience with. It's a Butz-Choquin Zebra, and the bowl is a briar insert. So far all my pipes have been cobs and straight briars, nothing with an insert. Is this an ok thing, is it something I should steer clear of. Looking for your shared wisdom on this. Here's the link.

Link

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Those are visually stunning pipes, and I was surprised to see that the chamber diameters are in the 0.8" range -- a nice departure from B-C's usually cramped interiors (must be a French thing.) The one thing that's a deal breaker for me is that they are drilled for 9mm filters. For me, hard to clean (I won't use a filter or adapter.)
Thanks for bringing this line to our attention. The price is right, and the briar insert issue shouldn't be a problem.

nevadablue

Lifer
Jun 5, 2017
I will ask a question... why can't one make or buy an insert to replace the filter? That would close up that chamber, reducing it to draft hole size. I have several pipes with 9mm filter chambers. I need to look at making an insert or two.
A quick search shows that smokingpipes.com has something. The hole may be a bit large, but this is the idea.
Savinelli_9mm_Pipe_Adapters_front__81437.1423230396.1280.1280.jpg

All of $.85 each.
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/savinelli-9mm-pipe-adapters/
They do also list another insert that appears to have a smaller draft hole.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm dealing with mostly 6 mm adaptors, but I find that they restrict the airway just enough for a nice even controlled draw, whereas smoking a filter pipe without a filter can, with some pipes, be a pretty airy flavor-diminishing draw, though many like that fine, or don't experience it that way, more likely. My point is, adaptors can be a good solution, or at least worth a try, depending on the pipe.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Why not just get one from SPC for $.95? 9mm to 3mm.
https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=114618
001-545-0082.jpg

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I actually enjoy the filter pipes and I smoke them without a filter or an adapter, kind of works as a reverse calabash! Easy enough to clean for me, just take a q-tip to it and swab up the gunk. I have several Savinelli (6mm) and Stanwell (9mm) and they have an easy draw and smoke effortlessly but it all boils down to personal taste.

P

pipebuddy

If it looks to good to be true.....especially made with zebrawood... :wink:

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
+ 1 for MSO once again, I did some online searching for various adapters and filters and found out that Aliexpress.com/China/offers pretty wide range of those, so that I ordered there some adaptors and filters at pretty affordable prices, all they come safe&ssound within two weeks or so.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally have never owned a pipe with an insert and would never think to buy one. I don't think there is any type of advantage to owning one.
I have owned several pipes that took either a 6 or 9mm filter. I never used a filter and smoked all of them without any type of insert. Everyone of the pipes smoked great without the filter. The 2 brands that I owned with the filters were Savinelli(6mm) and Winslow(9mm). Both filtered pipes had nice open draws that made the pipes smoke cool and dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.