PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I am thinking about buying a Peterson pipe. It will be my first Peterson and I could use your opinion on two choices. Both are in the lower end price wise. I want to make the choice of either a Saint Pat's Day Bent Billiard or a Dalkey Bent Calabash. Both smooth finish. Does anyone have experience with either or both of these pipes? I guess what I am asking is which is the best bang for my buck today and for tomorrow.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the St Pat pipes I saw at my local B&M the other day all looked great. they were al drilled perfectly and had some very nice grain.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
My St. Patrick's Day 2009 bulldog smokes decently, and seems especially good with McClelland Mellow Mack. Downside is that there is a spot on the bottom right side of the bowl that gets much hotter than the rest if the bowl. My other Pete's do not do this, and I have 9 others from various grades. It's the luck of the draw, sometimes. Do not have a Dalkey though, and I hear good things about that line.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Not to be a debbie downer, but 2 of my Petersons were b*tch to break-in. I attribute this to stain in the stem and bowl. Still, after a ridiculously long break-in, they're nice pipes.
That said, good luck with your choice - can't really say which one is best, but I'd bet they're similar in smoking qualities, so I would recommend the one that you're most attracted to.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
Look for a decently priced Peterson estate. That's your best bang for the buck.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I love Pete's, they hard sometimes hard to break in but once they are, you have a great pipe. I like to get a St. Patricks every year. One thing I have noticed as of later is the nickle/silver bands come loose, and have to be re-glued. Easy fix though. Go with the St. Paddy day pipe, if you dont like it they have a good resale value.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
+1 rothnh,
I have a few Pete's and like them all, from a 1920's shamrock to a new 314.

Aug 14, 2012
I have had about 30 something Petes. I have been selling them little by little because most of them have been disappointing. And mine are mostly system and Sherlock Holmes. Some of the problems: holes not drilled cleanly into the bowl (I had to whittle 1 drafthole open at the end); bad tasting stains; stain in the bowl & drafthole; bad fitting stems. With all of them except 1 it seems that briar without much age was used. I wouldn't touch the lower end Petes, but you can get a good one in the $200+ range. Pick the briar carefully, remove any stain in the bowl & air passage and expect a long breakin. If you get one with a bad fitting stem return it immediately. They do have great character, the thicker than usual stems should be more resistant to cracking, and the p-lips are good.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+1 Roth
I have some of the lower priced & love em all. When you see them first, many are smaller than what they look like on a computer monitor.

billbearcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2011
I have three Pete's, Molly Malone smooth set and a bent Shannon Bulldog. The bent Molly, a bent brandy, is my favorite. I am a clencher. The bent Molly hangs effortlessly from my teeth. So I would go with the bent billiard.
On a side note don't be surprised if you find a fill or three. My "special" Molly set has fills in both. They were hidden well until after a few months of smoking the pipes. I guess the stain/briar are changing from the heat or what ever. With that being said all three are good to great smokers as long as I can consistently pack the tobacco the right way for each pipe.
Oh yea, the "cheaper" Shannon bent bulldog does not have any fills but will smoke wet if I don't dry and pack it just right. It's a terrible game I play with my pipes due to my bad memory.
Neither of the two bent Pete's will take a pipe cleaner all the way through to the bowl. They are not system pipes either.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I would listen to roth and go over any Pete with a fine tooth comb, their lower end pipes are notorious for issues.
This is very true, but you can buy one online and return it if it doesn't pass inspection. And most resellers will be willing to check one out for you before shipping (i.e., look for fills, run a pipe cleaner through, etc)

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
I receive calls all the time from customers interested in a specific pipe asking me to go over it with them. I do, and also remind them that when they receive it, if for any reason whatsoever they are not happy with it, I'll take it back and issue a full refund. I believe that's the least an online retailer can do since there is no touchy feely thing going on by the buyer.
Rich Gottlieb

4noggins.com

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have five Petersons, all fine smokers, broken in, and holding up well. For a smaller bowl, I recommend the 999 shape Rhodesian

that comes in various of the series, as does the bull dog shape 80s. Top recommendation goes to the shape B11, medium size

bowl (a Dunhill group 4 approximately); this is a sitter bent brandy and seems well engineered and built to last. These are not

the pipes you are considering, but I'd recommend you take a look. Maybe others could identify some of the pipes that haven't

worked out for them.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I'm still cleaning the dye from inside the shank but my Professor is my favorite Peterson.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
In my humble opinion, Petersons can be good but not great.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
Love all my Pete's I had to go buy a new 999 Silver band because I was smoking the first one too much. I will grant you these pipes are from the late 80's early 90's so the quality might have been better back then but honestly some of my best smokers are my Pete's. I always sand the inside of a new pipe bowl and honey the bowl for the first couple of smokes so break in has never been an issue. I agree though with the others buy a decent one right off the top and you won't be disappointed. The St Patricks day pipes are nice but I don't think the shamrock stamp should make them worth more.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Seems like the prices on Peterson is going up (more) lately. The low end has definitely advanced

in the last few months. So if you are buying a new pipe, go ahead, I'd suggest.

withnail

Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I have only two Petersons (both at the cheaper end of the scale) and I love them both. They do seem to take a little longer to break in than other brands, but IMO it's worth the effort. To echo what someone said above, carefully read the dimensions and get out a ruler to see what that size looks like. The Speciality Calabash was smaller than I expected, but makes a great "Tea Break Pipe".
As ever, if you can, visit a local supplier so you can handle the pipe you buy.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
+ 1 4noggins.com

the only problem I have with Petes, is that if I haven't seen & felt them, then sometimes they are smaller than what I like, & they do take longer to break in. But I have several & like em all.

Status
Not open for further replies.