PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Gentlemen,

Again I come to you for your invaluable advice. Could you examine this Nording at SP: http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=136984

I'm concerned about the size of the bowl. I'm not good at interpreting the numbers involved, but does this pipe seem to have a good sized bowl, comparable to other Nording freehands? The pipe itself seems a little small, but a photo can't really help in this department. Opinions would be greatly appreciated, as I really like the aesthetics of this pipe and the stain, but don't want to make a mistake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The 1.63 chamber depth gives you a clue. It's not an extra large bowl, probably a small to medium

Group 4 (about average sized pipe) that is a little heavy for the chamber size. I think it would be

a good smoker, not a good clencher because of the weight, and well made. I find the design timid

compared to some Nordings, maybe just because of the relative small piece of briar, but that's

subjective. The grain and stain and finish are attractive.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I, too, think that's a fairly good sized bowl. Almost 23 mm diameter at the top and 40mm deep would make it about the same size as Dunnie groups 5-6.

Jul 12, 2011
Yep, a nice size chamber there. It would be something I might smoke an English blend in or perhaps a nice Burley or Aro

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
I've got 2 Nordings ... one has a slightly larger bowl, the other is about this same size ... I've got pipes ranging from quite small to quite large and on a 1-6 scale, I'd give this one about a 4 ... it's a very nice looking pipe and is probably a good smoker as others have suggested, but also as noted above, perhaps not a good clencher (if that's important to you) ...

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not a clencher, so that is not an issue, and I own two Nording freehands weighing 2.5 ounces. Given that the chamber is not giant, I assume the walls are thicker, which is a plus--keeps the pipe from overheating prematurely. I gather that this is a rather large freehand then? I wonder why this freehand costs more than many other Nording freehands.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very nice pipe. I have a Signature that I love and I have not heard anything bad about Nordings. It's a smooth finish so that usually adds to the cost. As it is I don't think the price is out of line for a pipe of this quality.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not familiar with the various group sizes mentioned above, such as "Group 4". If it helps to know, my standard tobaccos are Carter Hall and Molta Dolce, with EMP as my first smoke in the morning and the occasional flakes, although I primarily use flakes for my billiards.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
That Nording is a " Fantastic " and awesome pipe. I am smoking out of a similar one right now and its my absolute best pipe.

They are also a VERY fine pipe for the dollar. Rugged and simple. Elegant.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the pipe. When the image of a pipe won't leave you alone, then you know you have to get it. I'm in serious PDA trouble though; that'll be two new pipes in one month. I'll post photos when it's actually here because someone once said "It didn't happen unless there are photos".

Status
Not open for further replies.