PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 14, 2012
I have read many good things about Savinelli on these pages, and was thinking of trying one. I found an Autograph or two that look good to me. They have a light colored stain. Does anyone have any taste experiences or impressions to share about the taste of this Savinelli stain? I am hesitant because to my taste the only yellow stain I have found smokeable is the stain that Dunhill uses on their "roor briars". Do these Savinellis break in easily? I do not want to throw away $400. Impressions & opinions appreciated.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
While I don't own an Autograph (I wish I did!), I do own a few Savinelli pipes. A Spring 673ks (which is one of their mid range pipes), a Morino (one of their lower end pipes) and a Millinnium (on the higher end of their spectrum but nowhere near an autograph). In my humble opinion, they have surpassed Peterson, Stanwell, and Nording, and the only pipe I have that smokes better is a Mark Tinsky. I wouldn't hesitate to spend my money on a Savinelli.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only low-end Savinelli, two virgins finished only in wax -- a billiard and a Dublin -- and a rusticated black churchwarden. All three are light in weight for

their chamber capacity and excellent drawing and smooth smoking. The billiard and Dublin are decades old, beautifully aged, and have no problems. Keep

them clean and polished, and they'll live on and on.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I have 5 Savs, $150.00 & less. All broke in easy to me, much faster than my Petes. Not experienced in high ends.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
Im going to get blasted for this one, but here it goes! I would trade my Dunhills before I would give up my Savinellis. They are just great smokers. The highest end one I have though is a Christmas one, most are in the 70-80 dollar range. But there are just so many good things about them. Style, price, finish and my favorite thing! The balsa filter, you can change the draw just by sliceing it down alittle, or use the insert. I personally like my opening to be about 5/32 if I can get it. and with a Savinelli you can always do it yourself w/o having to ship it out.

rhogg

Can't Leave
Jun 14, 2011
Got 6 Savinellis and they are all great smokers. 3 of them are "unfinished". My unfinished 611 is the best smoking flake pipe I own. Some of my flake pipes cost at least 10x as much. I have nothing bad to say about them. I also see alot of new Savinellis, and for under $100 there are few makers that consistantly so as good of a job.
I am a draft hole nut. I can't stand pipes with an inferior drill. Savinelli just seems to consitantly turn out quality pipes that are an excellant value.
Can't speak for the high end Savs, but judging by the low end stuff I would venture to say they are great pipes.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I have a Savinelli Autograph 5 that has the light stain. I enjoy smoking it, but it is a rather large pipe. I have held some older Autographs in a pipe shop that dealt in estates, and the older one was far lighter, but of similar size. I purchased mine as an estate, for under $200.00. My other Savinellis are also good pipes.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I have 7 savs, 3 of them are autographs. I bought the autographs on the estate market and they were all well used but in great condition. I smoke mostly aromatics and I puff like a freight and the autographs are the best. I just feel the quality of the briar in the autographs is much better then their other lines. Just to give you a gauge, I have a sav 320, which is a fat pipe, I can smoke it where it is too hot to touch and don't anywhere near the same out of my autographs.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Well, Foggy, funny you should mention the Sav. I just got a Savinelli 606 Baronet EX in along with a TAD order from P&C. It is my first Sav, but I am looking forward to more. I will include picture of latest TAD+PAD as soon as I can figure out how to do so.

savineli-150x149.jpg

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
foggy, I cannot comment on the stains because they have never been an issue for me. I can speak as to the smoking qualities of them. I have owned 2 Autographs over the years and both were fine smoking pipes. They were older ones from the 70's and I really enjoyed the comfort of their vulcanite stems, however they are the sulfur laden ones and oxidize very easily, Obidisian Stem Oil does work great on them. I do own 2 Sav's at present, one is a Linea Piu 5 which is the first pipe I ever bought and the other is an inexpensive Goliath that I use for Carter Hall. Both smoke very well and are very well made.
I do remember you not having good luck with Italian pipes so you may want to think about this. I do believe that the estate Autographs represent one of the best values on the estate market.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I see many blasted autographs selling for around 100-125 which is a great price for a really good pipe. I see smooth Auto's going for 150-225 that are definitely less than half their original price like you mentioned. For some reason, they just do not hold their value, as do many other Italian names( castello used to hold their value but no longer do). I have always believed that for estate pipes, it is hard to beat the Italians for bang for the buck.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I hear you about foggy, I am sure he is looking at smooths, the guy has some great taste in pipes.
I have heard Pipa's are great smokers and a hell of a deal, never have smoked one. Agree on the British made ones also, it is funny but the higher retailed Upshalls like the P grade sells for much less than the Bark Ferndowns percentage wise. I see 400-500 retail Upshalls selling for 100-150 on a regular basis so in my mind they represent the best value off of retail among the British names.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Foggy, FWIW, if I were you, I'd take the risk. Autographs that I've seen seem to carry a light stain, so it's not as likely to affect you like darker stains.
I know someone who is very sensitive to chemicals in fabrics, etc. They can't buy new carpet or even buy a new car because the new car smell is toxic to them; but most people can tolerate it. So even if someone says they had no trouble with their Autograph, what applies to one person may not apply to you.
So you may never know unless you take the risk, but as risks go, I would bet the odds are in your favor. Hope you'll let us know what you decide.

alexl

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 23, 2013
I've bought a new Autograph and made a cavern in it on the first smoking. I should not begin with FVF on a new pipe, still it says something about briar quality. For this money you can buy Ardor, Cavicchi or even Ser Jacopo.

Aug 14, 2012
OK, you guys have convinced me to try Savinelli. So I went to order the pipe I had my eye on, and it was sold. It was a cutty with a magnetic stand that the knob of the pipe rested on, and was a beautiful Autograph about 8" long. Will keep an eye out for another great pipe from them.

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
savinelliautugraph001.jpg
heres is my autograph. it was very easy to break in, it is light weight and smokes dry all way too the bottom of the bowl. i also have a achilles favorite classic straight which i also love.
mike.

Status
Not open for further replies.