PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
So since I'm more of a once or twice a week smoker opening a whole 100gr tin is way too much. I have a couple of unopened tins waiting to be tried. Now I'm wondering if I should open, split in 2 jars any 100gr tins as soon as I'm receiving them or should I let it age in the original tin, until weeks or months or year later I'm ready to try it and then split and jar half of it for more aging?

greyfoxactual

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2015
Minnesota
I purchase lots (LOTS) of new tobaccos that I want to try. I do exactly that. I open them, cellar half in small, labeled mason jars and then put the rest in older jars to smoke at my leisure. I have about 20+ various choices to chose from.
If upon the split I don't like it, I cram it into another small, well-labeled mason jar for cellaring. My plan is that if I still don't like the secondary jar after 6 mos. to a year, then I give it away to someone who enjoys it.
If upon the split I do enjoy it, I mark it down to order more. I leave the newly ordered in their original tin for cellaring at that point.
That's the way I play it. To each his own.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
One of the essentials of ageing is to keep the jar closed. Opening it disrupts the process so your idea is exactly right. Store what you are not going to use in a separate jar and set it aside. Keep in mind that all tobaccos do not benefit from aging but they will stay fresher in a jar that isn't opened regularly.

vink

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2015
Longueuil, Quebec
One of the essentials of ageing is to keep the jar closed. Opening it disrupts the process so your idea is exactly right. Store what you are not going to use in a separate jar and set it aside. Keep in mind that all tobaccos do not benefit from aging but they will stay fresher in a jar that isn't opened regularly.
Maybe I was not enough clear, french guy speaking here! My dilemma is either I open, split the tin in 2 jars as soon as I receive them or I let the tin untouched,and when I feel like trying it ( could take months or year)then I open and split into 2 jars one for smoking and one for aging. I'm wondering if stopping the aging going on in the tin right now to split it and let it age into jars is better than letting it age in the tin for a while then opening it up to split it take one for smoking and let age some more the other half... Maybe I'm asking myself too much questions too!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Des bonnes questions!
I would age unopened tins in that state, then do your split and re-jarring at the time of first open.
Happy smoking!

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
I've started using a pair of small mason jars for all my open current smoking tins. Not trying to age as I'll usually go through it all within a couple months, I've just noticed that VA's, especially sweet reds, seem to be best for only a limited time after drying. The small tins also help reduce air space inside. When I crack a tin I'll pack all I can fit into the first jar still moist and seal it tight, then I'll rub out/dry as applicable the remainder and pack it into the second tin for immediate smoking from jar to bowl. When I finish the first half the rest gets opened and dried, repeat with each new tin. I've only just started cellaring and plan to do the aging in the original sealed tin whenever I can.

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
I purchase lots (LOTS) of new tobaccos that I want to try. I do exactly that. I open them, cellar half in small, labeled mason jars and then put the rest in older jars to smoke at my leisure. I have about 20+ various choices to chose from.
If upon the split I don't like it, I cram it into another small, well-labeled mason jar for cellaring. My plan is that if I still don't like the secondary jar after 6 mos. to a year, then I give it away to someone who enjoys it.
If upon the split I do enjoy it, I mark it down to order more. I leave the newly ordered in their original tin for cellaring at that point.
That's the way I play it. To each his own.
That's pretty much exactly what I do.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Just me but I would split and jar it right away so as to not interrupt the aging process of the whole 100g later. :puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Ball "Collection Elite" canning jars, from Walmart
4 oz jar - holds one 50 gram tin

8 oz jar - holds one 100 gram tin
The only downside is they don't stack nicely.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Me, too, Stan.
My basement tobacco closet has one stack running six flats tall - mostly 32 oz. jars with a few 8 oz. flats.
I tried a seventh and there was just a bit too much wobble.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.