PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullbent

Can't Leave
May 6, 2011
Is it best to store the tin tobacco in a jar after opening,or do the tins presrve the tobacco ?

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
I had always heard you can store it in the tin up to a month or so but it would be best to put it in a jar right away. Maybe some of the other guys can chime in though.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
I have tried it both ways, living it in the tin for a short while and placing the tobacco in a storage jar right away after opening the tin. It is safer to place the tinned tobacco in a jar right away, however, it depends on how much you smoke. Sine you didn't specify what the tin size was I am assumming that its 50g. It is always safer to place and clay hummidifer in the jar and enjoy!

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
I usually try to transfer the tobacco to a jar the first week of receiving/opening a tin, but I'm not very diligent about it. Right now I've got about 12 opened tins of tobacco that I haven't transferred into jars (really can't be bothered to go buy 12 jars heh, too lazy), the first 6 of which should have reached me about two weeks ago I think.
The one I've smoked the most (i.e. opened and closed the tin quite a lot) is getting pretty dry but is still not too dry to smoke. I really don't want it to get any drier though so I'm definitely going to get a jar for it and pop a coin humidifier in there within a week. Another of the tins I received at the same time but haven't opened very often (only about 4 times) is in better shape. It doesn't feel necessary to pack the pipe and let it dry any but I wouldn't be too bothered if I let it do so for a while, it would still be just fine. I really want to get a jar for it, too, though, before it gets much drier. Need to get my act together and go buy a big batch of jars. :(
But yeah, in conclusion I would probably avoid not putting it in a jar within at most 2-3 weeks unless you intend to humidify it again.
This all depends on air humidity, temperature, how often you open the tin and how long you leave it open and so on, so others (and you) could have very different experiences. :)

mowens

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2011
Bob wrote agreat article about storage. I think it should answer your question. I usualy transfer my tobacco to tins the day I open them. But thats just me.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Our own Bob Tate has a great article about tobacco storage here on the site as well.

First to consider is the tin--screw-down styles of tins will preserve freshness much better than those with plastic lids or push-down metal lids. Of course the proviso is that frequent opening and closing of any type of tin (or jar) will accelerate drying time exponentially. Jars, sterilized ones at that, are a must for long-term storage.

As echoed in previous posts, even with fairly frequent usage it's safe enough to keep tobacco in the tin if you're going to be burning through it within 4 weeks, give or take. If it's a blend you dip into regularly but not faster than 2 oz. per month, then your best bet is the bail-top style of canning jar. Make sure you have one approved for canning that forms a hermetic seal, and be aware that mold can develop quickly. A bail-top makes it easy to open the jar and shake out a portion without soiling the interior with your microbe-laden fingers. For longer-term storage and aging, screw-top Mason jars are the way to go, again being mindful of limiting the contamination of the contents. Also be cautious about humidifying; the recommended RH for pipe tobacco is less than 18%, ideally in the 12-14% range. Cigars, by comparison, are kept around 68-74% RH. It's always easier to keep your tobacco fresh and then dry it immediately prior to smoking rather than trying to rehydrate it.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm not an every day or all day smoker so I always transfer even a 50g tin to a mason jar. I make a lot of Jam and pickles and what not so I always have a bunch of jars hanging around. If they are used jars they get sterilized and new lids before they store tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.