PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfox520

Part of the Furniture Now
May 24, 2013
Most of the tobacco that I have been smoking I purchased in bulk so I put them in ball jars right away. Now I am going to open a tin that I purchased and was wondering if once I open it should I put the rest of the tobacco into to a ball jar or keep it in the tin? (It is an H&H tin)

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
If you plan to smoke it up in a couple weeks I would leave as is in the tin. If you believe it will be months then my recommendation would be to cover the tin opening with foil then put cap over that for a tighter seal or jar it.

magoo65

Lurker
Apr 10, 2013
Whenever I open a new tin, I prefer to immediately jar it. The reason is I typically have 3-4 tins open at a time and it could be a 2-3 weeks before I get through the whole tin. I also am able to smoke at work so I'm constantly grabbing my smoke stuff to take with me and it just works better for me to do it that way.
ymmv

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I prefer my tobacco on the drier side, so cracking the tin and leaving it in there for a few weeks improves it in my opinion. I've had tins open for over a month that were fine, although at about a month I jar my samples to make sure they don't go over he edge to crispy.

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Depends, really, on the results you are looking for. I usually just smoke from the tin, and after a day or two of being open the tobacco is dry enough. If I dont like it, lol, I leave it in the tin for awhile and let nature take its course, then come back to it a month or so later. If I still dont like it, I will jar it for a year and see how that goes. I raised 12 kids, so I have a great deal of patience.

The tobacco that I find that I like usually will not last more than a couple of weeks in the tin anyway.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Welcome to the forum jfox...

Believe it or not, I agree with all these suggestions. I usually just leave it in the tin mostly. Easier

to carry around and right there and ready when you want some. If I don't plan to smoke it all within a

few weeks I'll jar some of it, but keep some in the easy to carry tin.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
TopD has the right idea. Throw a little back into a jar if you aren't going to smoke down. Leave a little in the tin for when you're out and about.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I leave it in the tin, too. But I like the suggestion about adding the foil to help seal an

opened tin. Partly I guess it's a laziness. Partly it's wanting to get some good out of

the beautifully and/or distinctively designed tins rather than just throwing them out.

And partly it's just presentation, having that pretty tin set the mood and mindset for

the bowl of tobacco to come. I have found that tins re-screwed down tight after each

smoke, keep tobacco well, for my purposes, for several months. Probably this is better

for some tobaccos than others, and for some discerning smokers more than others.

I would say, as long as I plan to keep the tobacco in rotation, I leave it in the tin.

ciderguy

Can't Leave
May 30, 2013
I leave it in the tin. If its something I'm going to be working on for a while, I'll throw in a pouch moistener to keep it fresh. I like my tobacco to pass the pinch test.

jfox520

May 24, 2013
I do live in Maine and I usually only have 1 or 2 blends going at the same time. So I think it should be ok in the tin for a while. But I will keep an eye on it. Thanks to everyone for their input.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
I'm still pretty new and smoke rather slow so I have had a tin of Peterson Irish Oak that I have been working on for about 2 months. The tobacco still seems plenty moist and I have not noticed any taste difference. When I am not filling my pipe I have the tin sealed tight and put the tin in a ziplock bag. I think the secondary seal helps a lot.

lordwolf

Might Stick Around
Feb 12, 2013
United States
If I open a tin I usually toss all the tobacco in a jar and then take what I want to smoke and put it in a pouch. Makes it easy to switch out different blends real quick.

auspipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2012
Australia
I leave all my tobacco in the tins. It takes months to dry out, and it is easy to rehydrate if you have to. I have a tin of Nightcap been open for over 4 months and still fresh.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I keep my tins in big tupperware containers. Before I started doing that I just kept them in the tins for as long as it took to smoke. I cover the tin now with plastic wrap underneath the lid and it seems to keep it fresh. I really never noticed much of a difference, if it gets too dry you just re moisten it, if it's a good blend, it's a good blend, never noticed a difference that I could tell after 6 months or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.