PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hello all

I think I'm getting all the pipe musings I've been forced to keep to myself since my pipe-smoking colleague went to Canada in ths summer!

Since moving to work in China, I have been forced (?) to acquire a second pipe collection. The one I have in my storage facility at home in Scotland is very decent and at some point I will gratefully be re-acquainted with it. In some ways I have been very lucky as I now have two respectable collections with very different characters. My "Home Collection" is full of classics from Northern Europe- Comoys, Bjarnes etc- but the pipe seller in my current city (Suzhou, Jiangsu) has decided to sell only two classifications of pipes, vis run-of-the-mill, work-a-day Savs and Chacoms, and very high end Italian Artisanal briars. The way he has set up his store you feel a bit of a cheapskate if you pay less than $500 and you can pay up to $1,500. Now this makes perfect business sense as there is a lot of new money in my city and a lot of new pipists and/or collectors who, being new to things, just assume that this is how much a decent pipe inevitably costs. I have noticed on two of my recent pipes, a Radice Rind Billiard and a gorgeous little Don Carlos rusticated billiard, that the draw is far more open than I am used to, closer to that of a Castello than a classic English pipe. While this facilitates things at the top of the bowl I have found that I become wary during the bottom third, since I have several times drawn ash into my mouth at the very end. Of course, these are wonderful pieces, tasty, cool and dry, but this draw-width seems to be un-necessary to me and it could be argued lends a certain thin-ness or tart quality to a blend, meaning I now smoke meatier tobaccos in them. Last night, after looking at every single piece in the shop, I bought a lovely litle Chacom Festival square panel billiard, very similar to a 1970s Dunhill Tanshell. One of the reasons I decided to buy this pipe was the tight draw and very precise drilling. The stem was also perfct in fit and proportion for my tastes. I smoked two coins of DNR, rubbed out and for an hour or so I experienced an entirely hsssle-free, cool and satisfying smoke, with nothing to worry about at the end. It all felt very familiar and made me ponder this aspect of pipe design.

What kind of draw does the membership prefer and why please? Has this preference change through time?

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Hey hey hey! You're based in Suzhou? That's radical, because that's where my parents are from. I've been back several times, my most recent trip being in 2012! What do you think of the local dialect? To me, and of course I'm biased, it's one of the most beautiful sounds, and not hearing it is one of my main sources of homesickness.
It's somewhat amusing to hear about that pipe shop, because the main/only reason why I have gotten into Italian pipes is because the shop I went to in Beijing primarily stocked Italian pipes as well (lots of Savs). Sure, they did have some Petersons and Dunhills, but a Savinelli Tortuga Billiard and Radice Silk Cut Billiard were what called to me. Out of all of my briars (which is not a lot, I have three; a sav, castello, and radice), the Radice has my favorite draw. The Savinelli is a bit tight for me, and as a result, the smokes I'm getting are wetter and hotter. Of course, it could be that I'm packing it the same way I do the Radice, which is a no-no. The Castello might even be too open for me, but I think I need to try a wider variety of tobaccos and cuts in it before I can make a clear decision.
Overall, I prefer a slightly more open draw because it is also less effort -- it's surprising how easy and relaxing it is to puff on one of my Missouri Meerschaums after smoking my Sav.
Zei Wei! (does that sound familiar to you? :P

-Swilly

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
For me it is not so much the tightness or looseness of the draw that is my preference, but rather the thickness of the smoke of the draw. I am flexible with being on the tighter side or visa verse as long as I can maintain the smoke quality I desire. There are way to many variables involved to say that any set pattern will work for any pipe with any tobacco. That is one thing I like about this hobby is that it requires a little tinkering with every combination of pipe and tobacco.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
Hi Swilly

Suzhouhua sounds like "shenma shenma shenma cjik took haa" to me. i.e. totally incomprehensible. My dad said it sounds like "something from Star Wars". The strangest thing about speaking Mandarin is that, even though I would not say I do speak it, most people in Suzhou and Shanghai know what I'm saying, but outwith BeiJing, I am met with blank looks. I have a Suzhou accent, despite bieng unable to speak Chinese. :) I used to live with a girl from Wuhan and you knew exactly when a fellow Wuhani was on the phone 'cause it sounded like she'd just declared war!

I think maybe, like cars from Germany, pipes from Italy have taken hold of the 'aspirational consciousness' in China. It's the same with wine- try to find a Chassagne Montrachet and you're on a hiding to nothing. One wine rep I met told me that each individual Chateau has to make a deal with the gvt to allow its wine to be imported.

So I suppose the wide-open draw is de riguer for many Chinese people.

I'll definitey take up samcofeeman's suggestion of packing tighter- now I think of it, it is quite an obvious thing to do, but I didn't think of it, so thank you. It's little bits of advice like that which makes the dfference. Recently somebody on a photography forum informed me that when working with a 35mm lens, the length of the subject is equal to the coverage of the frame, so if one stands at a distance equal to the length, one will fill the frame- a revelation in a sentence.

Swilly, if you haven't already, I suggest you trck down a Stanwell or other good non-Italian pipe with a 'stndard

draw. Even if you don't prefer it, I think it will be a revelation. I suggest a good Bjarne unfinished Dublin.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I prefer an open draw for these reasons:
1) With an open draw i feel i have more control on how much smoke i want.

2) it helps me to regulate my puffing. i pull to hard it gets hot i pull to light i get nothing i pull just right well you get the idea.

3) a tight draw is very limiting in smoking experience for me i don't like the idea that if i want more i cant get it because the pipe is limited.
The third reason is why i sold my Peterson wicklow and Savinelli Moka and never bought another one of those brands again. i know that not all the pipes from those brands have a tight draw but it really scared me from buying them again. Maybe ill try it once more someday.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The two extremes are a too-wide-open draw that dilutes the flavor with a lot of air and burns too fast unless

you puff very gently, and the other extreme, a draw so tight, all you think about is trying to get a bit of smoke,

like trying to drink a really thick milkshake through a thin straw. There is a middle range that includes both

a more open draw and a tighter but focused draw. Each sets off particular tobaccos and blends, if you get them

paired right. I tend to have my most enjoyable smokes with a somewhat more focused, tighter draw. I just feel

like I have a better control of delivery of the smoke.

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
I agree with Mike/Briarblues. Since I started acquiring pipes from Rad, Ruthenberg and Crawford I am finding they are my preference by far. However, you guys probably won't agree, so don't start buying up those pipes. :twisted:

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
I like a good draw. Sometimes it's open, sometimes it's tighter. I don't have a dogmatic belief like Newcombe that a pipe is unsmokable if the draw is 4mm or less. That seems silly to me. I've had pipes before that have too-tight draws, and others that are so open I suck ash at the end. It all depends on the pipe.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I like them both. Much of my collection consists of classic British factory pipes, most notably Barling. None of those feel tight. They're just not as open as a lot of contemporary artisan pipes. A tight draw has no appeal, and I would not classify any of these great old pipes as "tight" draw. Some of my artisanal pipes feature a more open draw, and that works for me as well. It's like driving more than one car. You get used to, and adjust to, differences in handling.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
I do preper a open draw for aromatic blends. Because most aromatic is little bit wet.

It make a more smoke and give to me more flavor.

But for english blends I do preper tight draw because most english blend I did smoked was

a little bit dry and stronger body. So little sip give me a full satisfaction.

Only tight draw problem to me is I have to relight at bottom part.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
@ smokeybear...
I have two Savinelli's (Oscar Tiger $ Trevi)and they are very open draw pipes. As a matter of fact, out of all the pipes I have they are the most open draw pipes I have other than my MM cobs. Other than that, I seem to prefer more of an open draw pipe.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I have two Savinelli's (Oscar Tiger $ Trevi)and they are very open draw pipes. As a matter of fact, out of all the pipes I have they are the most open draw pipes I have other than my MM cobs. Other than that, I seem to prefer more of an open draw pipe
That's the kind of thing i need to hear to help me get over this thing i have against the two brands. i know i am profiling im sorry and i am ashamed of that. :oops: one day ill bite down on a pete or sav again.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Well, as far as the Peterson's go I can't make any knowledgeable assessment on them as I only have one which is a Churchwarden. Just wish I had never purchased it and the draw is akin to that of trying to suck the proverbial golf ball through a garden hose. ;)

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I like a pipe with an open draw as I can regulate it by packing tighter if desired. With some of the English pipes I've owned, I cannot achieve this. Barling is the only maker that suited my desire for a more open draw. I agree with Mike in the fact that newer Castello's are more open. More so, I have found that the older ones with the gem inlay(I believe made for the US market) are a lot tighter and I do not prefer them. I have a pre K Castello Lovat "SC" size with the gem inlay purchased from one of our sponsors Neat pipes and it draws nicely however. I also picked up a pre circled KK(late 60's early 70's) unsmoked from Bobby Nesbit that I had to carefully micro-file to open the draw a bit. My white bar Castello's draw beautifully from the start. A few are a bit harder to pass a fluffy pipe cleaner through.
As for as Rad, Jerry, or Brian's pipes. Those guys make the 5/32 draft hole size that I prefer. My first endeavor into pipes with a wider draw came when Cortez pointed out a beautiful Castello on Smokingpipes.com. I lost sleep over that pipe as it was just so pretty to me. I had no idea about draw back then. I finally bought it and it changed my outlook on pipes forever. I guess this is why I will continue to be in the market for Castello's even though I really enjoy my artisan pipes.
Here is the pipe that started it for me

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/my-new-castello-sea-rock-briar-billiard-kkk
I moved my pipe pics since the thread above was started so here is the pipe again. Not trying to hijack this into a photo thread but this pipe has played an intrigrual part in my pipe smoking journey and thus holds a special place in my heart.

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Open draw for me. Not as open as say a corncob without a filter, but let's just say I have a pipe I drilled out to .156 and that's about what I like.
The reason is that it seems like the more open draw results in a drier pipe, since there isn't as much turbulence, and therefore moisture condensation.
What I can't stand is a super tight draw. I clench, and don't like to have to make an effort to get some smoke. I have a meerschaum pipe that I won't smoke at all, because the draw is terrible, and I'm afraid to try and open it up.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I love the open draw, like MM style without a filter, open. Does anyone have any experience with having their pipe drilled out?

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I favor the more restricted draw of the classic British makers. I loved the way my Castello's smoked but the wide-open draw was not a plus for me (and a reason Mike now has my last Castello!). I favor Latakia blends, perhaps that is the reason for my preference. I definitely didn't enjoy sucking in the occasional ash or even ember from previously owned Italians (Cavicchi, Radice, Castello). Every pipe takes its own care. Even among my multiple Upshalls, all seem to be slightly different in draw (and hence packing).

ststephen

Lurker
Apr 1, 2013
I'm comfy with both. The tighter draw ones DO tend to lend themselves better to Latakia blends, as others have pointed out. Peterson's are tighter than most too, I have found. And also, as pointed out, tighter draws mean having to relight more at the end, or else leave more dottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.