Tags:   

Open letter to Pipes & Tobaccos magazine

(62 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Good afternoon,

I would first like to say I usually enjoy the magazine, but after this latest issue I am seeing a fleeting trend and a real reason I should cancel my subscription.

The cover photo is a joke, the article about the guy smoking the wolf's head pipe is a joke and embarrassing to our hobby. The link to his page is nothing but an advertisement for a $5000 dollar pipe.

I would like some real articles about real pipe smokers, not this hispter/yuppie bullshit that is not interesting to read. The magazine is failing, the editors and writers are failing, and there is no reason for me to continue this subscription.

Regards.
    --
    Bubbleheaddiver

Posted 3 years ago #
  2. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It might work better if you sent the message to them, instead of just posting a public scolding. That is... If you really care whether the effort is constructive.
    I would agree that the quality of the articles has dropped, but as to the subject of the articles... I don't mind reading about hipsters. Heck, I may have to re-check it out just for that reason. I love $5000 pipes. They intrigue me.

Michael
    Posted 3 years ago #
  3. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

hipster/yuppie

Weird how the two have converged. I haven't seen the article in question, but I find the hipster/yuppie trend to be fascinating.

It might be apropos to mention David Brooks' "Bobos in Paradise" here. Great book.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 3 years ago #
  4. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, so how can one be a hipster/yuppie? Yuppies being expensive tie wearing, money making venture capitalists, driving BMW's, wearing Polo, and belonging to all of the country clubs, while hipsters tend to be unemployed... and polar opposite. This is why the hipster thing fascinates me. They seem to be constantly evolving, and their very existence seems to spark absolute repulsion by so many.

Posted 3 years ago #
  5. jruthledge

jruthledge

Login to Send PM

Hang on a second. There's an actual magazine? Like a made-out-of-paper magazine? Why? For people in North Korea?

And I searched the site but I can't find this article on the wolf's head pipe. Sounds interesting.

Posted 3 years ago #
  6. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, paper and staples. You won't find the current articles online.

Posted 3 years ago #
  7. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If you're a subscriber, you have access to the digital version (no staples).

Posted 3 years ago #
  8. drwatson

drwatson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hang on a second. There's an actual magazine? Like a made-out-of-paper magazine? Why? For people in North Korea?

And I searched the site but I can't find this article on the wolf's head pipe. Sounds interesting.

I second this...Is this real or just a legend like Nessie????

John
    Posted 3 years ago #
  9. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yeh, so how can one be a hipster/yuppie? Yuppies being expensive tie wearing, money making venture capitalists, driving BMW's, wearing Polo, and belonging to all of the country clubs, while hipsters tend to be unemployed... and polar opposite.

As hipsters age, they need to justify the income from their Facebook Consultant jobs.

https://www.adbusters.org/magazine/79/hipster.html

https://www.nytimes.com/books/first/b/brooks-bobos.html

Posted 3 years ago #
  10. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

s this real or just a legend like Nessie????

Yes, but as warned the quality has dropped over the last few years. But, I still enjoy re-reading the older issues and some of the really old issues that I picked up at The Briary.
    Wait, is talking about an actual paper and staples Pipes Magazine against the rules? I sure hope lightning doesn't strike me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ummm, I think "Pipes & Tobacco Magazine" is a whole different animal from "PipesMagazine.com".

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  12. thefalcon

PipeDreamer

Login to Send PM

I subscribed to P&T magazine from it's inception, I believe around 1997, and it was a great read for around a decade or so, lots of articles on famous tobacconists, pipe smokers and our beloved Pipe manufacturers from Dr.Grabow & Kaywoodie to Dunhill and Charatan. Then in later years it seems to me in my humble opinion all of the focus went to Artisan Pipes, now don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with this, but couldn't they at least devote some of the publication to the way things use to be. I dropped my subscription about 5 yrs ago. I just lost interest in what their content was focused on. Just my 2 cents worth!

Cheers,--Eric

Posted 3 years ago #
  13. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

I found this article in the New York Times comparing hipsters and yuppies quite interesting -

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/10/fashion/tell-tale-signs-of-the-modern-day-yuppie.html

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 3 years ago #
  14. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...but couldn't they at least devote some of the publication to the way things use to be?

If it weren't for the fact that things aren't the way they used to be, I suppose they could.

Dogs live such short lives... and spend most it waiting for us to come home
    Posted 3 years ago #
  15. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would like some real articles about real pipe smokers, not this hispter/yuppie bullshit that is not interesting to read. The magazine is failing, the editors and writers are failing, and there is no reason for me to continue this subscription.

While you can stop subscribing for any reason you like---or for no reason at all---declaring it to be because everyone and everything associated with P&T is "failing" is a bit of a stretch, don't you think? They might not be publishing articles that appeal to your particular tastes and preferences, but that hardly qualifies as categorical failure.

Posted 3 years ago #
  16. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Yep, paper and staples. You won't find the current articles online.

Wow, I had no idea things were so archaic. Who uses staples anymore?

Posted 3 years ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The yuppie has shifted from standing on the prow of his yacht in an attitude of rapaciously aspirational entitlement to a defensive crouch of financial and existential insecurity.

Profound. Great article.

Posted 3 years ago #
  18. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Who uses staples anymore?

Surgeons?

Posted 3 years ago #
  19. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

The guy pays for his subscription, he's entitled to an opinion. As for it being public, I'm not sure if it's reaching his goal; but I certainly can appreciate that he seems extremely disappointed in this magazine.

Posted 3 years ago #
  20. seacaptain

seacaptain

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Surgeons? [:-)]

Nope. They use this now.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/705223

Posted 3 years ago #
  21. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If it weren't for the fact that things aren't the way they used to be, I suppose they could.

This kind of says it all.

As with all things which are tobacco related, especially when it comes to pipes, some aspects interest me, others do not. From another aspect, for some in the pipe world "things will never be as good as they once were." For other's "thing are better than ever."

Fortunately, being somewhat new to this wonderful pastime, things are better than ever for me. There is this wonderful world of pipes and luxury tobaccos available to me, that up until 4 years ago, I never knew existed. Nonetheless, I truly believe that there will be a time in my life where I will look back on today and boldly claim "things aren't as good as they used to be!"

I can easily understand how P&T could fall victim to such a opinion.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. thefalcon

PipeDreamer

Login to Send PM

Well with regards to P&T magazine focusing mostly on Artisan pipes, when was the last time you seen a Pipe smoker smoking a $5,000 Pipe? I have been smoking a Pipe for 30 years and I have yet to meet one in person!

Cheers,--Eric

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. northernneil

northernneil

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well with regards to P&T magazine focusing mostly on Artisan pipes, when was the last time you seen a Pipe smoker smoking a $5,000 Pipe? I have been smoking a Pipe for 30 years and I have yet to meet one in person!

Why should that matter? There are a lot of things in life that I cannot have, or have not seen, or cannot afford, that can still be entertaining to read and learn about. Is that not kind of the point of magazines, to bring the unreachable / unattainable within our grasp? To allow us access to something we might not have had access to otherwise?

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. thefalcon

PipeDreamer

Login to Send PM

Why should that matter? There are a lot of things in life that I cannot have, or have not seen, or cannot afford, that can still be entertaining to read and learn about. Is that not kind of the point of magazines, to bring the unreachable / unattainable within our grasp? To allow us access to something we might not have had access to otherwise?

That's one way of looking at it I guess, but for me after subscribing for around 20 years, I guess I just lost interest in the content of the Mag. Nothing wrong with it, if that is your thing.

Cheers,--Eric

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Pipefuls column is relatively new and one I look forward to with each issue. Kind of like Rich Esserman's articles in The Pipe Collector. Over sll, I enjoy the magazine. I don't find every article tickles my fancy but, it ain't my publication and there are a lot of different pipe smokers out there. My 2 cents.

Mike S.

Posted 3 years ago #
  26. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I let my subscription lapse.

The issues were just getting too thin and a bit formulaic as well it seems, very predictable.

I love the mag though and will buy copies "off the newsstand" for $4.95 if an issue has content that I'm interested in.

I like that they feature artisan makers, so that doesn't bother me.
    P&T runs the most in-depth profiles of artisans I've come across, so I appreciate that.

If Ben Rapaport had an article in every issue, then I'd buy it just for that alone.

I enjoy Serad's column, but we have the same thing here, in real time.

Lately they have seemed to have neglected the historical aspects and there's tons of fruitful topics that could explored.

I wouldn't mind seeing special thematic issues, like a rundown on classic British pipe companies, or the history and evolution of sandblasting, or something.

In my opinion,
    P&T is not living up to its potential,
    seemingly on "cruise control",
    at least this reader feels that way.

Posted 3 years ago #
  27. pipestud

pipestud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think that Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine has been an outstanding publication for our hobby since its inception back in 1996. No other pipe magazine in history has survived for as long as P&T, so, they must certainly be doing something right. I know that I scour my issues cover to cover as soon as they arrive and find the articles very well written and informative as well as entertaining. The photography work employed in each issue is superb, and the advertising, particularly regarding new P&T products, is very enlightening.

My personal opinion is that rather than dis this very professionally done and long-standing publication just because it contains photos and articles not to one's own liking, we should thank owner Dayton Matlick and Managing Editor Chuck Stanion for their dedication to helping our hobby grow. We are fortunate to have Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine supporting us just like we are fortunate to have pipesmagazine.com supporting us.

Dang, I was blustery and long winded tonight. Sorry fellas.

Pipestud
    Posted 3 years ago #
  28. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

I just got the back ish w/ Geiger cover,
    gonna tear off the plastic tonight.

I do think its still a great mag.

I remember the Nate King steampunk cover,
    that got some folks riled up too and writing on the forums,
    a few were upset that Skoda didn't get the cover.

Passion is always good methinks...

Posted 3 years ago #
  29. peckinpahhombre

peckinpahhombre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I truly enjoy the magazine and look forward to each issue. Now this thread is starting to make me wonder whether I am a yuppie or a hipster and what distinguishes one from the other.

Posted 3 years ago #
  30. lochinvar

lochinvar

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ehh, I think it kinda fell off, but really that is the way a lot of magazines go. There is only so much you can write about in a limited topic mag. The gun mags I occasionally pick up are the same way. You can count on the .45 v 9mm war being brought up once a year, going on 40 years or more. Just hang in, it's better than no magazine whatsoever.

I never tried smoking a wolf's head. I lived with a female panther for two years...she never got used to me.

Posted 3 years ago #
  31. igloo

igloo

Beware Trouble Maker

Login to Send PM

Yuppies wear button down collars and dress shoes without socks .They are also known to drive Audi and BMW cars. Hipsters have brightly colored watch bands and ride bicycles that cost big money . Come see me Peck I will buy you lunch and then we can smoke and I will point them out . The magazine is good reading when you can find them .

“There was an awful suspicion in my mind that I'd finally gone over the hump, and the worst thing about it was that I didn't feel tragic at all, but only weary, and sort of comfortably detached.”
    Posted 3 years ago #
  32. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The Premise of this thread is a comp!ete travesty to the community. I feel lucky I have a physical magazine to read at all. These guys are outstanding in what they do for the hobby and deserve everyone's support. If you don't care for it, I get that. But the mob mentality the internet grants us is going to kill the already small community we share.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Hobbyist Pipemaker - Carmette Pipes
    Posted 3 years ago #
  33. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Stuff like this makes me sad and a bit depressed.

Hell, from Life, to Newsweek, to Galaxy Science Fiction, the vast majority of the Western World's paper magazines have folded, and here WE are, a small, maligned, and vilified group of (mostly) guys, who, against all odds STILL HAVE a four-color, heavy stock, heirloom-quality paper magazine devoted exclusively to our hobby and which is run by people who are as passionate as we are... and instead of celebrating that fact we find fault with it and see fit to fly that discontent from the flagpole of an online forum.

Really?

That's the best we can do?

If there's something about P&T you think should be different, or you have an idea to improve it, contacting its editor would seem the way to go, not this.

Posted 3 years ago #
  34. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

Well I did open it up and gave a quick browse.

It's a good issue,
    thin, but good.

The highlight for me was the cover story as I've always liked Love Geiger pipes.
    I learned that I have been mispronouncing the name all this time,
    it's Low-ve --- Stephen A. Ross is a great writer I think, and also thoughtful as the small pronunciation note indicates.

I'm gonna read Serad's column in-depth as it seems interesting, more like an article than the last Pipefuls that I read, plus he references Borges "The Aleph", which is cool.

The baccy reviews were most excellent as always.

I did have to chuckle though, with this thread fresh in my mind, with yuppified vibrations rolling around, when I read the following passage:

"Want a Rolex watch for $20,000? This is the place to shop for it.

The men, when they aren't on the golf course, are apt to be wearing Italian silk blazers on their way to dine with their wives at elite French bistros."

There was more but I'm not gonna type it all out.

I don't know why it was crucial to constructing the narrative to include stuff like that,
    seems a bit too-much-informationy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  35. clickklick

clickklick

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I normally take these things with a grain of salt. But this has really gotten under my skin. Definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Reminds me of a guy that used to write disrespectful things for naspc. I'm going to refrain from participating in this further as it will only cause me personal grief and I don't need anyone to question my character as a result of a rant.

Don't feed the trolls.

Posted 3 years ago #
  36. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It is amazing how easy some people's buttons get pushed to the point that they have to publicize personal opinion. I do enjoy most of these thoughts though. Such can be a large picture window into a person's personality. Always interesting. Usually interesting.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  37. wcannoy

Walt Cannoy

Login to Send PM

I was told by Chuck Stanion long ago that Dayton Matlik, owner of SpecComm International, the publisher of P&T magazine, publishes this magazine at little to no profit, solely for the love and promotion of the hobby. The company actually makes their money off of their many other publications: http://www.speccomm.com/in-print/

Let's keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to support this long standing lobbyist of our cause for a mere eight bucks an issue.

IMHO/YMMV

Posted 3 years ago #
  38. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow.

Just. Wow.

I should cancel my subscription.

That probably would be most effective in removing this irritation from your life. If your intent with this thread was to affect change then George is right, you should have sent a letter to the editor.

I would like some real articles about real pipe smokers, not this hispter/yuppie bullshit that is not interesting to read.

Perhaps devote some time to addressing your prejudices. Codgers, hipsters, yuppies, cob-snobs... labels like these are handed down by others. Our world is too small to belittle or degrade other PIPE SMOKERS because you take issue with an image. We need EVERY PIPE SMOKER to take a vested interest in our hobby, in tobacco and smoking legislation, and to take pen to paper, or iPhone to reddit to positively represent our hobby. If P&T is trying to engage an emerging group of pipe smokers, I applaud them for it.

The cover photo is a joke, the article about the guy smoking the wolf's head pipe is a joke and embarrassing to our hobby. The link to his page is nothing but an advertisement for a $5000 dollar pipe.

Really? Embarrassing to our hobby? I'm pretty sure a hobby can't be embarrassed, as a hobby isn't animate. As for the body of people who make up the pipe buying, collecting, smoking community... well shit man, we're as diverse as the countries we all come from. I betcha there are a few people who love that cover, a majority who flipped past it to the centrefold, and a few who detest it as much as you do.

So you don't like Love Geiger's pipe, or the angle of the shot, or the background colour of the picture? Perhaps refer back to... write a letter to the editor.

I'm with the majority of the folks who posted above that P&T is doing good things for our community of pipe & tobacco users. When positioned in tandem with "The Pipe Collector" from the NASPC and other club newsletters it is possible to cast a wide net and collect multiple opinions, ideas and nuggets of information from across The Pipedom.

Good luck with determining how to address your irritation and frustration.

-- Pat

Posted 3 years ago #
  39. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Silver lining to the cloud of this thread......I didn't know about this magazine and now am a subscriber.

Posted 3 years ago #
  40. captainprophesy

captainprophesy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I haven't read this magazine in years... I stopped subscribing 1) due to financial reasons, when money starts to look like its going to get tight... These are the first things to go. 2) it started going down a different direction, they started becoming much fluff than real stories.

Even when I do get back to where I'm much more comfortable (financially) I won't be subscribing... Hell magazines in general seem to have become nothing but adverts from cover to cover. The only magazines that I still do and will continue to subscribe to is "Backwoods Home"

I carry a gun... because a cop is too heavy!
    Posted 3 years ago #
  41. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

We are indeed lucky to have a glossy magazine given that we are a small niche market.

P&T also stepped up to the plate with saving Tobacco reviews.com

The Foundations Library is also a great and noble service:
    http://pipesandtobaccosmagazine.com/community/

If it wasn't for P&T,
    I'd never know who Steven DaGama was,
    nor David Enrique,
    and many other things as well.

P&T has greatly enriched my general knowledge base and overall enjoyment of pipesmoking.

Posted 3 years ago #
  42. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was this just a setup for free publicity? Anyhow, off to buy myself a copy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  43. mranglophile

Mr. Anglophile

Login to Send PM

I buy the older copies on ebay every now and then, along with Pipe Friendly, TUCOPS and everything else I can find. I am very happy they are chronicling our hobby, the only change I would make is......make MLC a guest contributor.

Michael - Poulsb, WA

Pipes are not like cars. A Chevy cannot drive like a Mercedes, but the lowly Stanwell can smoke like the lofty Chonowitsch, even though the latter far exceeds the Stanwell in beauty, grain, and craftsmanship. It is the briar and not the brand. There is no place for elitism among pipe smokers. - Fred Hanna
    Posted 3 years ago #
  44. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

I did have a look at the cover, and I must say I find the wolf headed pipe terribly distateful. Wolves are magnificent animals and none deserves to end up like this.
    I say, shocking!

Posted 3 years ago #
  45. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

The Scott A. Stultz cover is one of my faves.

Plus inside was a Rad Davis profile!

:

:

:

:

Posted 3 years ago #
  46. pipebuddy

pipebuddy

Login to Send PM

@MLC: Now, that has class! Bravo!

Posted 3 years ago #
  47. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have every issue from day one and will keep buying them as long as they publish the magazine. I also appreciate what Pipes and Tobaccos magazine does for our hobby as the only newsstand periodical dedicated to pipe smoking. That being said....that wolf pipe is the ugliest damn pipe I've ever seen and seems to be more of a costume prop than a smoking pipe.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  48. dutch65

dutch65

Login to Send PM

I think that Pipes and Tobaccos Magazine has been an outstanding publication for our hobby since its inception back in 1996. No other pipe magazine in history has survived for as long as P&T, so, they must certainly be doing something right. I know that I scour my issues cover to cover as soon as they arrive and find the articles very well written and informative as well as entertaining. The photography work employed in each issue is superb, and the advertising, particularly regarding new P&T products, is very enlightening.

My personal opinion is that rather than dis this very professionally done and long-standing publication just because it contains photos and articles not to one's own liking, we should thank owner Dayton Matlick and Managing Editor Chuck Stanion for their dedication to helping our hobby grow. We are fortunate to have Pipes & Tobaccos Magazine supporting us just like we are fortunate to have pipesmagazine.com supporting us.

I couldn't have expressed myself any better than Pipestud's sentiments. For me, the profiles of artisan pipe carvers is one aspect of the magazine I look forward to every month.

Posted 3 years ago #
  49. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

But the mob mentality the internet grants us is going to kill the already small community we share.

But this has really gotten under my skin. Definitely rubbed me the wrong way. Reminds me of a guy that used to write disrespectful things for naspc. I'm going to refrain from participating in this further as it will only cause me personal grief and I don't need anyone to question my character as a result of a rant.

Don't feed the trolls.

I take it that you read the first post, then assumed that we all agreed with the original poster, and then got a tad... butthurt? (forgive me my lack of online jargon) If you had read the posts following the OP, I don't anyone here agreed with the OP in total sentiment. Some of us had our own reasons, some stood up for the magazine, but no one jumped on a "bandwagon."

Give us some credit. Read the string. We're pipe guys.

Posted 3 years ago #
  50. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My personal opinion is that rather than dis this very professionally done and long-standing publication just because it contains photos and articles not to one's own liking, we should thank owner Dayton Matlick and Managing Editor Chuck Stanion for their dedication to helping our hobby grow.

Or simply keep criticism as criticism, instead of making it an attack on the magazine. His point: he wanted more articles with substance. As a diehard quality > quantity kind of guy, I can see his point.

Posted 3 years ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I just had an hour long conversation with Chuck Stanion, and wow was it awesome. He is begging for input, and welcomed the email. I gave him some good ideas (my opinion). Looking forward to new issues.

Posted 3 years ago #
  52. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I just had an hour long conversation with Chuck Stanion, and wow was it awesome. He is begging for input, and welcomed the email. I gave him some good ideas (my opinion). Looking forward to new issues.

Posted 3 years ago #
  53. jmill208

jmill208

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Was this just a setup for free publicity? Anyhow, off to buy myself a copy.

Posted 3 years ago #
  54. georged

georged

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Not only more productive, but more fun too, huh? (Talking to Chuck is like taking a trip to an intellectual Disneyland for grownups.)

Good on you, BHD.

I love the smell of success in the morning.

Posted 3 years ago #
  55. skraps

skrapsoftobacco

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sometimes the most productive path is not always the most obvious.

Chuck is a good guy. Glad you got the opportunity to speak with him. Nicely done.

"People are not made better by a briar. An idiot before smoking a pipe is still an idiot after smoking a pipe, they're just more likely to speak less drivel with something in their mouth. For that, all society should be grateful."

- Bob Runowski
    Posted 3 years ago #
  56. tennsmoker

tennsmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a former newspaper reporter, I can affirm that a publication is not going to please all of the people half the time, some of the people part of the time, and mostly none of the people all the time.

It goes with the territory. I have been a P&T reader since the first edition hit the stands. I had a subscription for years, let it for some cockamamie reason, could kick myself for doing that, and now I am back for the long haul.

A magazine of general interest on our hobby has to stretch across a lot of real estate, trying to meet that pleasure spot somewhere in the middle for readers.

Chuck and the writers do a great job. Stories are well written, factually reported and provide much entertainment for us pipe guys.

That is all you can ask.

The magazine has a good mix. I may not like or even enjoy a particular piece, or photo. But having written stories for publications and then get my head handed to me with comments like how stupid can one guy be, to breathtakingly dumb, I know that you have to have a thick hide, give it your best effort and hope all goes well.

As one of the fellows said on this thread, we are indeed fortunate to have P&T in view of what is happing to print media today. The magazine deserves our support if for no other reason than it is the only general interest version we have.

I also take The Pipe Collector and read every word of it each issue. And if you thrown in PM.com, we are blessed, no doubt about it.

Editors love letters and feedback. That's how you make your feelings known to a like-minded audience.

That is my 2.

The past is never dead. It's not even past--Requiem for a Nun
    Posted 3 years ago #
  57. pylorns

James Foster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I accidentally let my subscription lapse. BUT... I've renewed it, thanks for the reminder lol.

Posted 3 years ago #
  58. ocpsdan

Dan

Login to Send PM

I always chuckle at the criticism of those who foam at the mouth about those who try to contribute to the betterment of something, yet contribute nothing of substance themselves. I own almost every issue of P&T since they began, and Chuck Stanion has had so many articles that make me laugh out loud in rooms full of quiet people.. to me, that's worth the piddly $8 per magazine. Long live P&T.

Posted 3 years ago #
  59. judcole

Jud

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

As a former newspaper reporter, I can affirm that a publication is not going to please all of the people half the time, some of the people part of the time, and mostly none of the people all the time.

Right on the money. My issue hadn't arrived when the thread started. It has since, and I flipped through it just to see what the fuss was about, until I can give it more attention.
    I've been reading P&T for a bit over 8 years now. Do I enjoy every piece? No. Do I read the whole issue, every month? Yes - because it's interesting to see what is going on in the hobby. I applaud the great work he does.
    Lots of different folks in our hobby. Everything everyone does to promote it is not to my taste, but meh - no big deal.
    Glad you had a good talk with Chuck, BHD.

Thought in the early morning, solace in time of woes,
    Peace in the hush of the twilight, balm ere my eyelids close
    Rudyard Kipling
    Posted 3 years ago #
  60. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

I've been meaning to subscribe, sound like it would be a good Christmas gift from the wife.

Al

Posted 3 years ago #
  61. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I read the article in its entirety and found it quite interesting. What this young man is doing isn't something new, he's picking up where Sailorman Jack left off. His "small game dinner" might not be everyone's cup of tea but there's no shortage of attendees. He also has been around the pipe and tobacco business for a time too. I read every issue, cover to cover and even re-read the old ones.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 3 years ago #
  62. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nothing wrong with a little Darwinian tendency to push people beyond their comfort zones. I learn, alas too late, in many disciplines how this applies to me. Escape the convenient, push toward the exceptional. It will make Pipes Magazine even stronger (and as it is now, it is quite strong, in my biased viewpoint).

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   danimalia, jaytex969