PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Here we go again with my latest crazy pipe transformation. I just can't help myself I guess. First it was the Dunhill Cob, and now an Ashton Pebble Grain Cob. Picked up the shank and stem on eBay for $20 from a pipe that had a badly burned out bowl, then I ordered a new MM Mark Twain. This project was quite a bit harder than the Dunhill as the shank on the Ashton was very thick, and even though I bought a straight Mark Twain, it ended up with the bowl having a slight rearward cant, or the stem with an upward tilt like a bent pipe would have. I toyed with bending the stem a little, but I figured I could always do it later. Oh well, after a while I get tired of fussing with it, and just go ahead and glue it up. It's not like it's worth all that much, and I have issues with delayed gratification. Sorry if this offends any Ashton owners... :lol:
img_0459-600x363.jpg

img_0465-600x371.jpg

img_0460-600x264.jpg

img_0468-600x449.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In culinary circles, they'd call that fusion. It's greater than the sum of its parts.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was reading tour post and I read Ashton, but I'm staring at the pipe thinking, "Gosh! that looks like a cob." So I keep reading and looking and see that it is a cob! But then I look at the Ashton stem, and then at the shank, and I go back and read the post again. . .I think you get the drift.
Awesome!

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I think it turned out amazing! Even better than the Dunhill cob in my opinion. Nice work!

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I definitely like it. To me it fuses the best feature of cobs with the best feature of briars. I'd think you're more likely to offend a cob purist than an Ashton purist!

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Can you post a pic of the Dunhill cob? I tried searching but the forum's search function sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.