PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
I have recently bought - by mistake quite frankly, a Hungarian that turned out to be petite. I bought it off an ebay.com type of webpage and while the buyer posted the measurements of the pipe, i did not pay much attention. Oddly enough in central Europe you can hardly find an oom paul, so I was quite happy with my discovery. I was in a rush to buy it, and honestly I was a tad disappointed when taking it out of the package and seeing it is so small. It's a nifty little thing though ... got used to it, and I quite enjoy it as it doesn't pack much tobacco, thus making it a quick smoke for when I don't have time to sit back and relax. It tends to be a hot smoke though, especially with a full bowl, although it also tends to cool off quickly after you are done smoking. I am not sure of the make - it does have the engraving "bruyere garantie", together with another engraving that reads "camping", and the number 1458. Not sure what to make of it, although some people suggested it may be a St. Claude make. The pipe was unsmoked, in mint condition, although a closer study reveals that it has some age to it ... I am new here, so not exactly sure how to post a picture, but maybe you guys can help. Any thoughts?

samcoffeeman

Can't Leave
Apr 6, 2015
Bruyere Garantie translates to Real Briar from French I believe. Break it in a bit and perhaps with time it may smoke a bit cooler. My experience with full bents is the heat tends to travel up the shank/stem faster because of the design. I smoke more straight pipes now.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks for the input ... you may be right about breaking it in. Smoke does seem to travel up the stem, especially since the stem is so short. Will keep at it, maybe things improve. I pity though, it's a very comfortable pipe...

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I look forward to seeing a picture of this pipe Madox as I'm something of an Oom Paul fan. I have a few and being rather large are great for a long smoke of an evening.
You could well be right about the St. Claude point, many great pipemakers are/were from that district.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.
PS:I wonder if 'camping' actually reads 'campion'?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Here's how:
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Dropbox, etc.), select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) and choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address) into the box that pops up under IMG in the compose reply window of the thread in which you want the photo to show.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
Thanks jpm, hope I am doing it right. Here are some links below ... Guys, if you can't access them please let me know, will try other methods :)
oom%20paul1.jpg

oom%20paul2.jpg

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
mawnansmiff thanks for the warm welcome. If I have uploaded the picture correctly, you should see the engraving. I have put a side picture with the inscription. What would it mean if it actually read 'campion'?

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
You can also go to the original listing of the ebay type place and copy the img address and then use the img button. That will get the pic on here for a while, at least.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've come to dislike drop box for image sharing. You have to open the image and then copy the image address. It comes out hideously long. (URL below pic.)
ajlQnB-jmvlLO7oeo-roZOanxylNcg2hEYXeak7caVw

This is their stupid URL:
https://photos-4.dropbox.com/t/2/AAAbbfsx9PF1NLp3ti2AvE8o2mbFvf8zllFR-i0x0vPKWA/12/585707935/jpeg/32x32/3/1481828400/0/2/oom%20paul1.jpg/EP7_wNsEGMkQIAIoAg/ajlQnB-jmvlLO7oeo-roZOanxylNcg2hEYXeak7caVw?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=2048x1536

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
:) agreed, there was another picture with the pipe in hand, but since I am IT backwards ... I have no idea how to post it. Maybe jpm will post the other pic to, if he is kind ;)

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
It is quite nice in its own special way ... but alas, I have it for 4 days now and still can't figure out what to do in order for it not to smoke that hot. The stem is so short .. Perhaps it is not a proper pipe for aromatic, I am going to try an english blend tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.