PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianslomo

Lurker
Jun 3, 2019
Once again, I need your help, oh wise masters.
I only began smoking a couple of months ago and I've only tried 3 brands (out of the 4 available in my country). My girlfriend would be travelling to the US in a month and she agreed to buy me ONLY 3 containers of tobacco. Needless to say, I need help in determining which 3 would get me the most of this opportunity.
Spot #1: I'm strongly considering getting a Lane 1-Q because of the reviews I read

Spot #2: Maybe an English blend? or some other non-aromatic?

Spot #3: Pretty much open. Knock yourselves out!
*Note: I'm still a beginner and don't have a tolerance for nicotine yet, it still gives me a buzz. So I think I'd go for the milder ones.
Need your advice guys.

jojoc

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2019
1. Lane 1-Q is a good choice

2. Peter Stukkebye Luxury bullseye Flake

3. Seattle Pipe club Plum Pudding

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Engkish/Balkan

GLP any of his Latakia blends

Presbyterian

H&H Larry's Blend
Aromatics

Maybe none... 1Q is mostly hot air for a beginning smoker
American Blends

SPC Potlatch

Granger (an OTC)

Carter Hall or Chatham Manor
Virginia-touch of Perique

PS Luxury Navy Flake

PS Bullseye

Escudo

Orlik Golden Sliced

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
I have to concur wholeheartedly with aquadoc on this one. Hopefully, your girlfriend will be able to locate some of these.
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
Peter Stokkebye Optimum is a nice fruity aromatic.
Escudo Navy De Luxe
GL Pease Quiet Nights or Gaslight

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Sir Walter Raleigh's aromatic restorative. Accept no substitute!
Actually, you should listen to guys with more blends under their belt. But I do love SWRA.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
1. Sleepy Hollow from Straus Tobacconist in Florence Kentucky.

2. Arrowhead Pip Club Tobacco from Paul’s Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan.

You can probably get this in your home country but:

3. Squadron Commander from Samuel Gawith.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
1. 1-Q would be a fine choice for an American aromatic

2. Latakia/English: GL Pease Maltese Falcon or Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

3. A VaPer: Escudo or Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Where are you from where you only have 4 blends available :(

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
#1. Ask your sweet heart for an address of where she will be staying.

#2. Order one pound of bulk each. 1Q, Burley light, and something that tickles your fancy. Have it sent to the address for her to pick up.

Technically it’s three containers of tobacco!
Your welcome

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Why don't we start by you telling us what you like so far out of the things you have tried? And what did you like about them? It might help to narrow down the choices.

adrianslomo

Lurker
Jun 3, 2019
Thanks so much to everyone who responded. I'll consider each of your suggestions. To answer some concerns:

- shipping here is EXPENSIVE! There's a minimum $20 shipping fee, plus taxes (might be 100%, might be 200%, I don't know yet)

- only 4 brands available here: Macbaren, Csptsin Blsck, Borkum Riff, Half and Half (and limited variants of each). All in pouches, no tins. NO NON-AROMATICS here at all! I tried CB Cherry, CB Dark, BR Ornge and Honey, Macbaren Original. I like CB Cherry from the lot but I need more exposure to other types.

- She's travelling to multiple countries so there's customs, taxes, bulk and weight to consider. Sorry @elasmo, 5 gallon buckets won't do.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
As you already have Captain Black available, I would skip the 1Q, which in the same genre, made by the same company. Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye flake is a good suggestion, as is Escudo, and you might give C&D Black Frigate a go as crossover Aro/English.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it is three containers, assuming a tub is considered a container, that might be a way to increase quantity. Pipes and Cigars Midtown Chatham Manor, already recommended, might serve as your 1-Q; Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic (not the regular) would be a good choice; and the Kentucky burley rough cut Granger. This would give you three tubs instead of three tins, though it would take up some space in your lady's luggage. I like most or all of the recommendations posted, so take your choice!

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
1Q is an awesome aromatic. In a typical shop, it outsells all other blends combined. If you have to get tins, Blue Note is pretty good. Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend is an outstanding english/balkan. You also might want to try a VaPer. I don't care for them but lots of people do.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
I would second the suggestion to skip the 1Q. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't waste such an opportunity on OTCs and run of the mill blends. You need to go with something classy and a blend that is absolutely unobtainable in your country. That's what I did when I traveled to Berlin: I didn't piss away my money on Dunhill Nightcap—I bought blends I couldn't get in Canada. To date, not even the US retailers are stocking Vauen Auenland Midnight Blend.
Escudo is a fine choice.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
After sooooo many years and Pipes and SOOOOO many containers I have to say that all of these are great choices and in fact, new ones for me to try. I would suggest also Hobbits Weed from 4Noggins and Ole Shenandoah from Pipes & Cigars as well.
Good luck and stick with it. Personally I love a good shot of Vitamin N with my coffee...
Best!

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.