Only a few months into pipe smoking...AND I LOVE IT!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfpackfan

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Back in September my wife was out of town and, as the saying goes "When the cat is away, the mice will play". I stopped over at a local pharmacy and bought a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob and a pack of Captain Black White Label. Now...I know what some of you will say about the good old Capn', but honestly I still really liked it. For years I would socially smoke a cigar with my dad or uncle, or granddad, but I just never really enjoyed it. It took a bit to learn how to pack the pipe (thank you Youtube!)but after a while I go the hang of it. Anyway I love it. (my wife is not so thrilled...she has bought into the demonization of tobacco) But I still enjoy my bowl of tobacco, and have popped over to JRs Cigar outlet here in NC. They have a good selection of bulk pipe tobacco. Why in the world did I ever smoke cigars for $7 to $20 a stick when 2 oz of bulk tobacco is only $2.50. (I know it's cheap...but man is it good!). So here is the deal. The new guy at work just sold me the lot of his dad's old pipes (he recently passed away). I have a ton of old estate pipes that I got for a song...and one or two that I have NO IDEA about. Can anyone help me value these things?

Jan 8, 2013
Yeah, without pics/markings, there won't be much anyone here can do.
That aside, welcome to the forums! This is the place to find answers, that's for sure.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
First off, welcome aboard!

It's great to hear you're enjoying the pipe so far as well!

As for the estates, if you could get some pics and specifics posted, that would be a big help.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
wolfpackfan wrote:
Now...I know what some of you will say about the good old Capn', but honestly I still really liked it.
Never make any apologies for what tobacco you like to smoke and enjoy. Nothing wrong with good 'ol Capn' Black. :wink:

wolfpackfan

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
nullOkay...OKAY! I realize that without pictures I am just teasing y'all. So without further fan fair here are some pictures of what I have. (I sold an Algerian briar on ebay recently, but I have no idea if I got a good price for it.) I have 11 really good pipes all different. I know many of them, but some like the ones in the pics I have no idea how to value. Note, all of these pipes have pipe bits that prevent teeth marks.) Anyway, here they are...I am relying on the extreme knowledge from my brethren of the briar to let me know. As you can see this guy's dad took REAL nice care of his pipes.

wolfpackfan

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Thanks Phil67. I actually had read that first, and followed the directions, but I am not using Foxfire (Internet Explorer) and it may be that...or my pics were too big, OR just good old operator error. I will try again.
dscn34842-150x112.jpg
dscn34852-150x112.jpg
dscn3489-150x112.jpg
dscn3488-150x112.jpg

Ok...I think I've got it now! For Internet Explorer it was simply copy paste, not copy shortcut and paste. OK...we are cooking with gas now. Well...what do you think?

virginiacob

Can't Leave
Dec 30, 2013
wolfpackfan,
Nice looking pipe! BTW, I saw on your posting that you're in NC. The TAPS Raleigh pipe show is Sat., April 12th. If you're free that weekend, you might enjoy this event. Should be a wide selection of pipes and tobacco blends as well as good camaraderie among fellow pipe enthusiasts. Also, nothing wrong with Captain Black. Captain Black White was the first OTC blend that I smoked when I took up pipe smoking as well.

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
Sorry I can't help you with the IDs as I'm too much of a novice myself, but those pics are great looking pipes, and they appear to be in great condition, if those pics are representative of the whole lot. You did hit gold. Welcome to the forum

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Welcome to the forums pipe enthusiast's site. As is most often the case pipe smoking will even get better the longer you remain a pipe smoker. Just wait, some of us have been smoking a pipe for forty years plus and we still enjoy the hobby.

wolfpackfan

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Wow! Purplemotoman, you are THE MAN! Thanks. I have not found anything like this, but knew someone had. In reply to Davidintexas...yep all of the pipes look similar. This one was not smoked as much, but the guy knew what he was doing. I will probably be selling a bunch of them off. I have 3 pipes, and I am content with my 3. I think there is at least one more that I have hit a wall on. and I will be sure to post some more pics tonight. Thanks for everyone's help and welcome. This is a pretty cool forum. Also, thanks for the reassurance that my first choice in Captain Black White Label was a good one. I still enjoy a bowl of it. Honestly, though I am loving the bulk stuff from JRs. If any of you guys ever get to NC you should do yourself a favor and check out one of their stores. LOTS of tobacco options. Also, @ Virginacob...I have been thinking of heading to Raleigh to the show, but that weekend I will be out of town :( Stupid work is getting in the way of tobacco time again....but then again...no paycheck no tobacco. Thanks again for the welcome. You all are AWESOME. I will try to post in a few hours.

wolfpackfan

Lurker
Mar 24, 2014
Okay guys...I have another question and some more pics. First off... cleaning an old bowl. About 3 months ago, my wife went to an estate sale and found this pipe.
103_0444-150x112.jpg

103_0440-150x112.jpg

103_0442-150x112.jpg

103_0443-150x112.jpg

I am not certain about the best option to core the bowl. I have looked into some reaming tools, but am not sure of the best option. Some threads I have read said that using a small knife works well as long as I don't get too deep and scar the briar. I certainly do not want that. The caking is pretty hard and I want to be careful. Any tools that you would recommend?
Now on to another question are the initials in the stem the pipe maker? I am not familiar with JCG. Can any of you more experienced pipers help me? (also if you cannot read the second photo is says "Signature imported Brair")

Status
Not open for further replies.