Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yesterday I was raking up the leaves (almost as fast as my three year old was jumping in and scattering them) and I was thoroughly appreciating the aroma in the air, that fall smell, crisp and 'leafy'. I immediately thought I should pop upstairs and grab a cob and my last pinch of red cake from the jar, my senses were making the pairing and I knew it was a good one. Something held me back from getting the smoke however, I realised that a pipe would be fitting but it was also very pleasant to be capturing the leaf aroma on its own. I apply the same logic occasionally to choosing a glass of water over red wine, or even hot water instead of tea...Anyone else deny the pleasure sometimes?
Isaac

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Sounds like a nice setting. I'm a knuckle-dragger. I take pleasure and then add more Cowbell to it.
Could be my problem, but I've seen enough to not pass up a moment. It might be my last.
Sorry for going dark.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
I wouldnt take that as dark Ashdigger, and to be honest 355 days a year I apply the same logic ha, I guess that's what got me thinking about this so intentionally...because it is rare enough to be essentially out of character for me.
Isaac

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I grew up raking and burning the leaves in the gutter of the street, with much sweet smelling smoke drifting over the scene. I haven't lived anywhere that allowed leaf burning in eons. I'd skip the pipe for a few hours if I were able to do this again, to have the essence of burning autumn leaves.

indianafrank

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 15, 2014
I did not deny the pleasure of a good smoke the past few days. I love the autumn time of year. The last few days I've been smoking a cob with some Bagpipers Dream while cutting trees.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Aside from that afternoon in the leaves, I was smoking my regular weekend smoke, 50/50 rlp6 and turkish ribbon. Keeps the family happy and I enjoy it too, then its back to English blends during the week.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Anyone else deny the pleasure sometimes?
I think Mark Twain summed up my feelings on this pretty well when he said:
"As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain from smoking when awake."

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Isaac, that picture of Leaves on Luna is quintessential Fall.
I'm with you. Delayed gratification makes the reward that much sweeter, richer. It is the grease that lubricates a good marriage & sucessful parenting.
Good for you!

Jan 8, 2013
Sounds really nice. Here in North Texas, the weather can't seem to make up it's mind what to do.... as usual. We had a week of cooler weather, 70s and 80s highs with 50s and 60s lows, but it was just a tease. Mid October and we're in the freaking 90s again. I'm willing to bet the leaves don't fall here until we get a freeze. And then they'll all fall off at once. Day 1... leaves galore. Day 2.... Where the hell did my car go? All I see are freaking leaves!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I miss my girls being that small. Especially during the Fall. Playing in leaves, Halloween, and corn mazes. Cherish those moments as they pass much too fast. Beautiful daughter you have there, and I would definitely trade pipe time to get to spend one more second with my girls being that young and having leaf fights.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Yes I am enjoying my girls very much, we gutted a pumpkin yesterday and gave him a new face...to think in the moment I was tempted to read my book and leave my wife to do the task, glad I have the memory of family time rather than just another selfish chapter of some book ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.