PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
I am preparing to order a MM, and a couple ounces of tobacco. Advice on an online venue would be apriciated! Also, I am a brand new pipe smoker. What tobacco would be recommended? (I understand there is an element of personal choice with this. My main concerns are taste and room note. I will worry about finding my perfect strength after I have learned to smoke my pipe well.)
In regards to the pipe: are the hardwood MMs worth entertaining? I'm still new to pipe smoking, and honestly, am somewhat cognizant of my image still... I need help with that. :)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
I would recommend getting a straight and bent of whatever style MM floats your boat, and some Carter Hall. Pleasant room note, good taste, and easy to learn with. Pipesandcigars.com and smokingpipes.com are my go-to online shops.

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Forgot to add, my MM Country Gentleman that I got in a grab bag of seconds from MM is still my favorite pipe.

pipesofsteele

Lurker
Apr 12, 2016
Western Washington
Smokingpipes.com would be good then, they are 18+. I mainly order from them and get great service. Probably look for a nice aromatic or a ribbon cut Virginia blend. For an aromatic, perhaps try Lane 1-Q, it has a descent, sweet flavor and wonderful aroma. For a Virginia... I would say Orlick Golden Sliced, but that's a flake. You could go for a flake, but a ribbon cut would be easier to start off with. I personally enjoy Hearth & Home Louisiana Red, but that is the only ribbon cut VaPer I've personally tried, all the others are forms of flakes. In regards to Carter Hall, I have not tried it, and I don't usually enjoy OTC blends, but my brother's father in law really enjoys it so it might be wonderful. Hope you end up enjoying whatever you get! :puffy:

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
Smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, 4noggins.com, but if you have a local shop, try there first. They could use your support and most have knowledgeable staff that can help you along your way.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
Just smoked some Newminster superior flake in my Diplomat cob last night. Was a wonderful smoking experience. The tobacco is apparently not topped with flavor yet is noticably sweet. I folded it in half lengthwise then doubled it over and slid it into my pipe broke off the parts that didn't fit, rubbed them out and put them on top for kindling. It's a straight va but i got no bite as will usually happen when i smoke virginias. Smells really great as well. Smokingpipes has it at a great price. I highly recommend it. My diplomat cob is one with a hardwood bottom. Smokes great but is on the heavy side overall. You might want to look into replacement stems for your cobs as they are better quality than the ones that come shipped and i like how they feel in my mouth and between my teeth. Plus they're really cheap.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
My order came in. A MM Country Gentleman, with an ounce of 1Q and a pouch of CH. I must say, very pleasurable. I look forward to exploring this grand new world of pipe smoking. A big thank you to everyone who has helped me thus far.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
traveler', welcome aboard. You have just what you need. Take your time and enjoy it. For a pipe tool, I recommend the simplicity (and minimal price) of a pipe nail or three, or a Czech tool is fine. And pipe cleaners. Cobs are great and can last forever (well, a long time). If your cob has a filter, you can choose to use filters or just leave them out. Some MM cobs don't have them. Most Forums members don't use 'em, but it's personal preference.

travelergypsy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 15, 2016
MSO, thank you! I am still learning to slow down, but am learning quick. I'm a outdoorsy, diy, kinda guy, so I actually made my own pipe tool from a spent .270 casing and a length of stiff wire folded in the neck. I'll post a pick on of these days. :)

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Sounds like a perfect starter set. IMO, the Carter Hall is very forgiving of packing and cadence, you almost have to try to have a bad smoke with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.