Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently decided to switch from smoking cigarettes, to pipes and cigars. So I visited a highly reputed local tobacconist, and he set me up with 8 premium cigars, a selection of tobaccos (about 9.5 ounce)and a meerschaum pipe. He was very knowledgeable, listened what I like, and did mostly good recommendations. I visited him twice and the total damage was about $360 for the stuff, 80 minutes of my life in commuting twice to his place, about 1$ in street parking, and 6$ in gas.

I did not do a price comparison on the first day (and I forgot to collect the receipt), but on the second day I checked his tobacco prices. I bought some of the stuff online again at a much cheaper price (Still waiting delivery). For example the Dunhill tins he was charging $16 and up, while I got them for $9 online, Lane 1-Q he charged me $5 an ounce, while I got the same online for less than $2 an ounce. To summarize, online is cheaper, the research can be done from my computer and phone, no need to pay for parking and gas, and no need to spend time commuting. So, why should anyone even buy locally, and not online?

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Even though my local tobacconist has a limited supply of pipes & pipe tobacco, I try to buy from them when I can to support the business. These small tobacconists are few and they need our help. Of course I don't travel as far as you do, but I would try to give them some support, especially if they have sales people that are knowledgeable and friendly. Good place to have a bowl and some good conversation.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I support mine just on general principal. Almost everything they carry can be had cheaper online. They are just one particular dinosaur I don't want to see go extinct. Plus, you can visually inspect a pipe before you commit to buying it in a B&M. Online, not so much.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Whenever I can, I buy from a local shop. It costs more but I personally don't want to live in a world where there are no stores, or people working in them. Stopped just yesterday and picked up a couple of things from a local pipe shop.
Mike S.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I cannot emphasize this enough......YOU WILL MISS THEM WHEN THEY ARE GONE! Please support your local tobacconists, there are too few of them still in business as it is and the political climate of tobacco hatred is only making their lives harder. If we do not support them, they will go away! I'm not saying you should buy everything from them, god knows I spend more than my share at SPC, and for good reason, they are much cheaper and their selection is superb. That being said, there is really no replacing the feel, the smells, the comraderie and the knowledge of a local tobacconist. The local tobacconist is like an old friend from childhood whom you've kept in touch with for many years, they provide something that the Internet simply cannot, they provide guidance to new smokers and a friend to older smokers. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE support your local tobacconist, you will miss them when they are gone.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
When I have the extra cash I go to the B&M. They often have older stock of my sought after blends. Costs a little more but is worth it.

raevans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2013
Yes, it is cheaper to buy online. But, I have always enjoyed the personal one on one experience. It is always worth the trip, to me at least, to be able to enjoy the comradery that always takes place at a Tobacco Shop. I always try to buy something when visiting, whether it be a tin of tobacco, pipe cleaners, a cigar. They were around long before the internet, sadly I don't think that they will be around all that much longer. (As is the case for many stores). It's sad to see posts, (that are happening more and more), about XYZ Tobacco Store closing it's doors. You also get the advantage of being able to handle and inspect a pipe if you are looking to buy one.

It's nice to be able to ask a question to a person that is experienced and get an answer. (try doing that when ordering online).
B&M's are usually the ones that sponsor local pipe clubs. The same clubs that put on pipe shows.
Tobacco Shops are under tremendous pressure these days. Between the new and constantly changing FDA rules and regs, city and State ordinances, being undercut from online retailers, and shopping centers that have taken a frown upon smoking, it's a wonder that there are any left. They certainly don't need the very people that they are trying to provide a service to turning their backs on them.
Buy bulk orders online, sure, it makes sense. But even so, I would not cut the local B&M out all together. It's part of the heritage of pipe smoking. We should do everything we can to make sure that it continues for future generations.

tschiraldi

Lifer
Dec 14, 2015
Ohio
I visit my local (sort of) shop at least every other week. I never leave without buying SOMETHING. I am lucky to have three decent shops within driving distance. It's almost an hour drive, but well worth it to me. If they don't have something I'm looking for, then I will order it on-line. They always have a good selection of McClelland Virginias and the manager is a heck of a good guy! Much knowledge is spread around there. Buy local!
Tim

uperepik

(Oldtown)
Mar 8, 2017
Yeah the same, we have a cigar shop that has started getting into the pipe side of things. I go in and buy a $6 ounce of something once a week or so just because I would like to see them continue. They have now started to get pipes and have more tobacco to offer than Lane Limited. Just wish it wasn't 3 times the cost online but I will continue to support them.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
There are a few reasons to go to a local tobacconist. It's the same as anything else really. You can buy a case of beer for $30 and stay home or you can go somewhere and enjoy conversation and atmosphere and spend $30 on 7-8 beers.
I buy most of my smoke online, but I like to go look at pipes in person and smell the bulk tobaccos, make a small purchase or two for fun, and talk about all things tobacco with the knowledgeable and friendly staff etc..
Another plus is when you want to score something hard to find like Penzance and you're sick of the websites being out 2 minutes after you get the alert that it's in (thanks to all those tobacco scalpers out there..) So what you can do is have your tobacconist hold a few tins aside for you.
Parking is free here too. haha

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
To summarize, online is cheaper, the research can be done from my computer and phone, no need to pay for parking and gas, and no need to spend time commuting. So, why should anyone even buy locally, and not online?
For starters, it's only a matter of time until Internet sales of tobacco are banned, and the B&M that you failed to support will be defunct, leaving you with zip.
But more to the point, I like having a place to go and relax, light up and enjoy conversation, or a game, and there are snacks, etc. I always buy a tin or three, and occasionally I find a really tin in a corner. It's also nice to shop at a place where the owner actually recognizes you and gives a shit.

phantomwolf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
It's also nice to shop at a place where the owner actually recognizes you and gives a shit.
Absolutely, sablebrush.
Also, just kind of thought about it after reading your post, but a benefit, should it come to banning online tobacco sales could possible be increased B&M business, thus lowering their prices as they will have more business and less of a struggle keeping the lights on.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Not sure that internet sales will be banned—though no doubt curtailed in some manner— but even if they are, probably not going to affect prices at your local tobacco shop. Nonetheless, it's critical to support your local shops. Make a plan to drop by every week! Buy some tins, some loose tobacco, a pipe every now and then.
You'll also find you have room and time to purchase online from our site sponsors, I hope.
Glad you asked the question!

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I wish I lived in a state where a tin of Dunhill Flake didn't cost $25 plus 8% sales tax. I do buy an occasional tin because I do enjoy walking into a quality tobacconist shop and seeing all the pipes, tobacco and cigars. Not knocking the forum, but it is also nice to have face to face conversation with people who have the same interest in pipes and cigars as me. I love that when I go in, there is always a mix of young, old, white and blue collar guys enjoying conversation and a smoke. The posters above are right, it will be missed.

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
I'm in New York. I don't usually buy bulk, but I assume the tax is the same. We have a 75% tobacco tax then the 8% sales tax on top. Cigars are around 25-30% tax before the added sales tax. The cigar tax was rolled back a couple of years ago. It was 75% also. It went from 16% to 38% to 75% in two years.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Of course on-line sale of tobacco and related items will be banned. Unless they can come up with a way to do "proof of age." It's only a matter of time.
I prefer to shop in person. I would never contemplate buying a pipe on line as I've often stated. I do not want to have to get into a telephone, text, email discussion about a purchase. I want to stand face to face with the vendor. A one dimensional photo of a pipe tells me nothing, I have to see and fondle. I won't buy a pipe simply to buy a pipe.
I do miss my local tobacconist. To shop the closest B&M I have to purchase a plane ticket, rent a car, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.