PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I think it would be nice to have online chats between members which can be interactive:
Text

Voice

Video
I use iChat which also access AIM, as well as Skype
My iChat/Aim handle is johngioannetti@mac.com
My Skype handle is johngioannetti
so if any one is interested look for me
John / Mate
;

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
We could eventually do group chats here.
Actually, the "What Are You Smoking Right Now?" thing in the bottom of the left sidebar is actually a live chat feature. Please don't chat there though. I'd like to keep it as "What Are You Smoking Right Now?"
However, we could install this elsewhere to be a live chat section on the site. I think we need to build up more user participation here first though.
We have over 400 members and currently about a 1% active participation rate I'm sorry to say. Any ideas on picking that up?
I use ICQ, which seems to be the "webmaster" chat of choice, but I use it solely for business to stay in touch with several different programmers, workers and clients, communicating with overseas contractors and managing projects throughout the day.

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
I sympathies with Python, thats why I do business from home and have created a
"Work Free Smoking Environment"
Seriously, watch ICQ, I have had some real problems with hackers getting in back doors to my computer with it.
Havw a look at Skype, its free, and easy to set up and use Mac or PC

mate

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 4, 2009
Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.
Unlike Midnightrider I don't have the luxury of going to a Tobacconist at midday and chewing the fat with other Brothers of the Briar.
It's something I suspect other Non-American or UK members also suffer from.
This is why online chats here would be super
But if any one wants to use AOL, Skype or iChat, I'll be really happy for the company
just e-mail me at mate@tstt.net.tt
John
ps. Python, if working is interfering with your smoking time, just give up work
work is highly overrated activity and it is definitely a "Four Letter Word", and I don't think that kind of language i encouraged here. Please warn yourself.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
Mate, I have often thought about giving up work so I could smoke and chat more often, but I am afraid without the money I wouldn't be smoking or chatting online for very long, lol!
But I will continue to consider that option.

Jan 8, 2013
We had a chat on a forum I was an administrator for, and most members loved it. As long as you have a solid group of members who visit the site often enough, there's always going to be two or more people in the chat room. I would think with the number of regular members here, the chat would probably work out great.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Kevin has addressed this after the post above.

He has decided against it.

If memory serves, he thought it would have a deleterious effect on the Forums.

There have been other ideas along those lines as well. e.g. Chess Room

Just thought I let you guys know.

He certainly has the option of changing his mind...
:puffy:

canadianbiggame

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 24, 2013
Edmonton Alberta
I think a small, chat type thing like alot of other forum have would be awesome! Something we can pop into from time to time just to talk about complete bull$hi% with other members would be absolutely great. If it does not cost much to have a chat room I think it would bell worth it.

Just my 2c

Status
Not open for further replies.