PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
I just got this little fellow in the mail! A cast iron crocodile stand. I think I'll try to paint it black but I don't want to lose the details in the scales and face. A cute little guy anyways! I'm happy I got him for a dollar! :)
dsc_1166-600x337.jpg

dsc_11651-600x337.jpg

dsc_1167-600x337.jpg

--------------------------

Thanks for being a member and participating.
Thread title fixed.
Please use your Shift key in body text as well.
Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules
Thanks!
- Kevin

--------------------------

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Nice little stand. I have never seen one like it. I'd personally clean it up a little and use it as it. I like the wear and patina.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
The color of the oxidized surface makes me think you have a bronze pipe stand. I would polish it, but I would not cover up bronze with paint.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Make that three that say; leave it as is, or clean up a tad, but do not cover it up with paint. But it's yours, do what you want to do...
Any way you look at it, it is an interesting piece.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
Buroak, I think you're 100% correct. I was probably too quick on the draw to chalk it down as iron. It says "star metal" in Swedish on the bottom and I just presumed it was iron. I have a bronze statue at home and it looks very similar!
How would one go about freshening up a little bronze crocodile?

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
alexnorth, I do not know what you should use to polish it. Brasso might be an option, but I cannot vouch for its safety on bronze. Perhaps a private message to cosmicfolklore would yield a good answer. He seems to work mainly in silver, but may know how to help with this.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Great little piece!
How would one go about freshening up a little bronze crocodile?
Don't do a damn thing to it, that is how. Just clean it with damp rag and use it. Brasso or anything else will take the natural patina off. You don't want to take it down to a shiny anything.. imo. The wear and tear is half the attraction! You use it now, put more wear and tear on it.. and it just gets better all the time, like a well used pipe or a vintage tin of your favorite flake. :puffy:

beastkhk

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2015
I almost would think the intent was for it to be oxidized so the crocodile would be green. I also would leave it as is, but just my 2 cents.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
Quick Internet search shows Stjärnmetall as a Swedish company from the 1930's. I see some expensive items for auction made by them. Better not mess with your investment! Who knows what it's really worth? 8O

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
I've been looking some more items from that factory just out curiosity and many of the items I see from them are painted cast iron. Cool stuff.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
I too, would leave it alone with the patina. Products like Brasso actually etch metal away so if it is brass or bronze you could lose some of the detail in the scales. Clean with just mild soap & water but if you do decide to remove the patina try a solution of white vinegar & water. It won't etch or harm the material.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I'm with the others here. Leave it alone. It's old, so... it should look old! That's an integral part of it's character.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
What an awesome little pipe stand. Unique items like that are so cool to stumble upon. They are so rare that it's almost like having a one of a kind. Congrats and enjoy. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.