PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Suppose you were granted one wish and could bring back to the market any discontinued pipe-tobacco blend. Which would you choose and why? Be convincing, for you never know who might read--and possibly act upon--your response!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
An interesting question and one that deserves a response. If I was to say one brand I would like too see resurrected it would be War Horse only since I was able to sample some courtesy of Mr Lowercase.

eightywon

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 4, 2014
Raven's Wing. The only blend I can think of that I've had that is no longer available. It is amazing.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Bohemian Scandal, because there's nothing quite like Syrian latakia.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think there were some fabulous blends that have been discontinued, but I feel really spoiled and whiney

to pine for them. We live in the golden age when not only is there a vast and various selection of pipe tobaccos,

and an ongoing effort to come up with even more tempting and diverse blends, but they are available to

everyone as never before via the internet. Compared to the heyday of pipes in the 1950s, when most pipe

smokers made do with the eight blends available at the drugstore, we are in pipe smokers heaven.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
I'd love to have the opportunity to try either Dunhill's Ye Olde Signe or Benson & Hedges' Original Virginia Flake. Ye Olde Signe was discontinued in the late 70s, and OVF was gone sometime in the late 80s, right after I was born.

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
I was given a few bowls of John Cotton's Smyrna. Very Smooth with nice flavour. I would have loved to have it as a regular smoke.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
For me...
Edgeworth Sliced
Since its demise there have been several flakes that have been introduced to fill the void. Sadly none have come close in my humble opinion.
It was sublime.

Mar 1, 2014
I know it's kind of cliché, but being so new I think the best answer I can give would be the original Three Nuns, just to see how well SG St. James Flake and Escudo stack up.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
The only problem with such wishes is that the reason some of these blends are gone is because of changing times, politics and availability. No matter how much we wish for them, if the proper leaf is unobtainable, it will all be for naught. I would really like to try some Raven's Wing as at the time, the description of full flavored and lat heavy scared me off. Knowing what I know now, it wasn't full flavored blends or Latakia I was opposed to so much as Burley when it present earth or cigar flavors in a blend or just straight cigarish tastes in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.