PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
For any adventurous types...you might want to apply...but be forewarned: Mars ain’t the kind of place to raise your kids...in fact, it’s cold as hell (not sure if they allow pipe smoking...you’ll have to inquire).
Dutch company offers one way ticket to Mars
March 27 - A Dutch company called Mars One is looking for volunteer astronauts to participate in the first manned-mission to Mars. The company wants to send four people to the Red Planet to start a colony in 2023 although there is one catch - the successful applicants will have no way of coming back.
Video (2:22)
http://www.reuters.com/video/2013/03/27/reuters-tv-dutch-company-offers-one-way-ticket-to-m?videoId=241882270&videoChannel=118065

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
I nominate Jane Fonda, Sean Penn and any of the Baldwin family we can round up.

Only if you can guarantee that they cant reproduce......or maybe mess with the guidance system so they miss the space station....

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Umm no thanks...I would probably get taken hostage by the Martians and then there would be a whole intergalactic thing that would happen and well then we would be facing a war and........

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
with the skillset I possess, I'd probably manage somehow to survive

+1

My skillset is primarily hunting and gardening and being able to convert raw materials into useable tools/sustenance. And I have this feeling no matter what section of mars they set me down on, the White tail and Trout population may be a little smaller than I'm used to. and that ground looks mighty rocky for planting in.

checotah

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2012
If Jane Fonda is going, sign me up. I'd relish the opportunity to do to her what she did to all the fine young Americans who stepped up to the call in the 60's and '70's. Granted, it would be a sacrifice on my part, but, at 67, not so much a loss for the Nation. OK, pull my post because it's political.... Sometimes you just gotta act like you've got a pair...

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
At this time we’d like to introduce you to the Mission Commander:

(sorry, I couldn’t resist)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xo6FaypcpY

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Update on this story:
More than 100,000 want to go to Mars
Prospective Martians apply for one-way trip to red planet (including 30,000 Americans)
http://www.clickorlando.com/lifestyle/technology/More-than-100-000-want-to-go-to-Mars/-/2242398/21404096/-/vmqh3az/-/index.html

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I dislike Jane. How long does it take to travel there? 7 years?
Tell me this is a Typo
Anyone 18 or older may apply, but the fee depends on a user's nationality. For Americans, it's $38.
The company said it sets the price based on the gross domestic product per capita of each nation. "We wanted it to be high enough for people to have to really think about it and low enough for anyone to be able to afford it," Lansdorp said.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
This must be a joke. There's a long list of problems to overcome to put humans on Mars, without even thinking of starting a permanent colony. NASA is planning a trip in 30 years, how can they do it in 10? I see some pretty big law suits ahead for that company.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
I saw this a few months back. It's going to be interesting to find out if this really happens.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
They should have a place where you can nominate people for the "honor."

I nominate Jane Fonda, Sean Penn and any of the Baldwin family we can round up.
Holy Cow I almost peed my pants. :rofl: My danger zone alert is going off because I can see this getting political but I can think of a few politicians based in NV and California that I'd pay to go. I'd mow 10,000 lawns to get them on that flight.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
Is this a reward or punishment? Long ago, when I was a teenager, my Dad threatened to send me on a one-way trip to the moon.

Status
Not open for further replies.