PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
First off, I know this post doesn't have anything to do with government legislation so, if I have posted this in the wrong place I apologize, and ask the mods to move it to where it belongs. As many of you know, I work for a major retailer, and receive health insurance as part of my benefits. The other day I received my annual notice of open insurance enrollment coming up in October. As I started to read the notice, they mentioned that since smokers have an approximate 25% higher healthcare cost compared to nonsmokers, insurance rates for smokers was going to go up, (they mention the cost of a pack a day cigarette habit, but in all other instances, they mention it just as tobacco users in general). There was no mention about how much the rates were going to increase, but I'd imagine they would shoot for 25% based on their "studies" citing the 25% higher cost. The notice goes on to state that I must be tobacco free on or before October 15 in order to receive the tobacco free rate on my insurance. My employer has been pushing a quit tobacco program for some time now, and I believe this insurance notice is just moving one step closer to the time when we will be told if you smoke, you can't work here. I'm sorry, but I have a real problem with this, as of now, smoking is still legal, and what I do on my time is none of their business. I think unless they want to pay me for a 24hr day, don't tell me what I can and can't do as long as it's within the boundaries of the law. I hate to see it, but I can see the day when I'll be leaving this company rather than giving up on a hobby I enjoy.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I can half way understand them not letting you smoke on the job (inside the building or in the police cruiser), but to refuse to hire because of smoking, since it is still legal, should be against the law as a form of discrimination IMHO.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I was wondering about this the other day, and I had the same thought as Paul. Why hasn't this made it into the courts??!?? :crazy:
I am just hoping someone that owns their own business starts turning away potential employees that have children, eat hamburgers, or some other legal thing. I wonder how long that would stay out of the court system.

Status
Not open for further replies.