Pipes Magazine » Pipe Smoking Basics & Beginner Questions

Tags:  No tags yet. 

One Pipe - One Tobacco??

(31 posts)
  1. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

I know that most (perhaps all) of us smoke a variety of tobaccos. Is any one designating a pipe for a single tobacco? For example, "this pipe is only used when I smoke Lane's 1Q and this other pipe is only used when I'm smoking Cornell & Diehl's Berry Good?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Yep. Frog Morton Cellar in a free hand.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Many puffers dedicate pipes to varying degrees. For some, it's only English blends in these pipes, only aromatics in these two, Lakelands in that one, virginias in these three ... well, you get the idea.

Some go even further, and dedicate a certain pipe for a certain blend -- and may even do so with several pipes/blends.

I idea for doing this, purportedly, is a dedicated pipe enhances the "unique" flavor nuances of a blend and/or genre.

Me? I don't dedicate pipes. I smoke mostly virginias, a bowl of a light English/Balkan now and then, and aromatic less often, and virtually no Lakelands so, for my tastes, dedicating a pipe to anything I smoke is not necessary.

Posted 5 years ago #
  4. tarak

tarak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe dedicated to each type of blend I smoke:

English
    Virginia (and VaBur)
    VaPer
    Aro

Then I have a pipe or two that are "free agents"

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

wilson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don't dedicate pipes to certain tobaccos, or even certain types of tobacco. I smoke whatever blend I'm in the mood for in whatever pipe I happen to pick up.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm primarily an aro smoker, but I do have a few pipes dedicated to English blends. Although, I do occasionally smoke Carter Hall or Prince Albert in those pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

I smoke straight VAs and one VaPer, so I smoke 'em in any of my pipes...no worry of ghosting!

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. petergunn

petergunn

Login to Send PM

dedicating a certain pipe to a specific blend seems a bit anal to me but what do I know. I smoke only two blends both Aro through all my pipes a couple smoke a little better with one but all smoke fine and my life is simple.

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dedicate. No not so much, however I do find that I favor certain blends in certain pipes in my collection. For example killington and moulin rouge blends I prefer the killington in my caminetto but the moulin rouge tastes better in my David jones or church warden cob.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

All of my pipes are dedicated to certain categories. I smoke only Va, Vaper and Vabur flakes. I also have a few pipes that I only smoke specific blends in. For example my Lane Era Charatan Dublin only sees SG FVF, my Mastro De Paja Apple only sees Peterson University Flake, my Don Carlos Billiard only sees SG Best Brown, there are other pipes in my collection that have two blends designated to them. I have a Rad Davis Dublin that gets Escudo and Solani 633 exclusively, one of my Rad Davis Lovats only gets Stonehaven or ODF. When I find a combination that just feels perfect, I stick with it.

Harris
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Wow - very neat to get other's prospective. Man, this site is like Lumberjocks.com - ask a question and get a reply! Now you have to like that!!

Thanks for your input.

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I also dedicate pipes to blends. Some just seem to find each other. Then I have the next tier, which is pipes dedicated to styles. And I have a small handful of jack-of-all-trades.

Blends that have pipes dedicated to them are Escudo, Anniversary Kake, Barbary Coast, Battleground, Haddo's Delight, LBF, and LNF. I have a pipe that I'm considering dedicating to Royal Yacht and I'm on the lookout for one to dedicate to Capstan Blue.

Then I've got a few pipes dedicated to Aros, to VAs, to VaPers and to flavored VaBurs. Several cobs are dedicated to burleys.

I'm not sure how certain pipes find certain blends. They just seem to. But I've also learned that slight ghosting in a pipe can have a big influence on taste, especially among nuanced blends. So dedicating at least by style seems to make sense if a smoker enjoys a variety of styles of tobacco. But as always with our hobby: to each his own.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The major problem I've heard expressed on Forums is the ghosting (aftertaste in future bowls) of Latakia.
    I'm not sure other tobaccos ghost much, if at all. So the major distinction seems to be those who have
    separate pipes for Latakia tobaccos and those who don't. I don't think most other tobaccos, separately
    or in blends, carry over much -- burleys, Va, va/per, etc. I'm not sensitive to ghosting. Apparently, if there's
    any aftertaste of Latakia, it's a pleasant dash of flavor, not a corruption of a different kind of tobacco later.
    But I am of the any pipe for any tobacco school. If l was bothered by ghosting, I'd definitely assign pipes.

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. sallow

sallow

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I tend not to dedicate as well. The ghost issue doesn't really bother me, even with the lakelands. It is noticeable at times, but I tend to think of it as a bonus. But besides lakelands I don't smoke any real aromatics.

I have however found that if a certain blend really sings in a particular pipe, a dedication of that pipe to the blend can be worthwhile. Even a dedication for a short amount of time, say five or six bowls can really amplify what I like about the blend. Escudo is that way for me and several of my pipes. Peterson's perfect plug also has distinct characteristics that I have found benefit from a short term dedicated pipe.

What doesn't work for me is when I try to pick the combinations beforehand. The pipe has to choose.

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. 85royals

85royals

Login to Send PM

My local B&M has a Dunhill 965 I like a lot I have 1 pipe that this tobacco is the only tobacco to go in it.. Then I have my aero pipes and my English Latakia pipes.. One other pipe I have is just for McClelland Blakeney's Best blends..

I Am what I Am
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. chawz

chawz

Login to Send PM

I like both aro and English; I've separated about half my pipes for Latakia containing blends, the rest reserved for Aro/Virginia. I do have one special Rhodesian that I smoke just the Frog line in.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Love the briar

Login to Send PM

Pipes go with the blend for me. Keeps it simple.

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. brdavidson

brdavidson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a small Dr. Grabow billiard that I smoke only English blends in since I don't smoke them much. I have 2 pipes (and possibly a third) that seem to smoke flakes better than any other pipes so I dedicate the few flakes to those blends (Escudo, BBF, LBF). I also have one Brigham pipe I smoke only American style aromatics in as the filter helps keep the moisture down. The rest of what I smoke is either a VA, Vaper, or Burley blend and I just grab whatever pipe suits my mood that day.

Posted 5 years ago #
  19. phred

phred

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I actually do have one pipe (a Missouri Meerschaum Great Dane) that I've dedicated to Black House - mostly because early on, I managed a nearly perfect smoke in it, and since I had a bunch of other cobs to try other blends in, I could easily dedicate that one pipe to that one blend.

But that's the only one at this point - I've got an aro pipe, a Va/Per pipe, a Burley pipe, and some cobs that I use for specific types. I plan to pick up an English/Latakia pipe next, and then maybe one for straight Virginias. Beyond that, who knows?

And honestly - most of my reasoning behind dedicating pipes is that I'm not familiar enough with the various types to be able to tell whether I'm getting the true flavor of a specific blend, or whether I'm getting some ghosting - so until I know more, I'd rather eliminate one easily controlled variable.

"De gustibus non est disputandum."
    Posted 5 years ago #
  20. hambone

hambone

Login to Send PM

I dedicate my Peterson Fishtail Spigot Bulldog to SG 1792 (the ghosting tobacco)

Pipers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!
    http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Hambone1
    Posted 5 years ago #
  21. pruss

pruss

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

At the suggestion of Harris, Roth and others, I have begun to build out two rotations.

I mostly smoke English blends, and as such most of my pipes are dedicated to these blends. These pipes have a wide array of shapes but are largely built around my growing collection of pipes with egg shaped bowls.

I have recently begun exploring Virginias and VaPers, and was really struggling with the flavour delivery of these tobaccos. With some solid packing advice and a switch to dedicated pipes I am finally enjoying the sweetness and nuanced flavours of different VAs and VaPers. The pipes I use for this rotation are all medium sized, longer shanked, billiards, lovats and pots, and one Pete Tankard.

-- Pat

Posted 5 years ago #
  22. daytonsean

Sean

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Almost all of mine are dedicated. I use cobs to try new things. I have a couple of briar pipes that are dedicated to categories rather than specific blends.

My soul has had enough chicken soup, it needs more TESD podcast.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  23. cortezattic

Cortez

A part of the problem since he ...

Login to Send PM

I have a cob, a BC, and a Jobey for sampling blends. No need to dedicate because I smoke mostly Vas ± {Perique, Burley, & Oriental}.

I find myself sitting idly on the line dividing past and future,
    as if I could kill time without injuring eternity. -- Thoreau
    Posted 5 years ago #
  24. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

I'm so impressed with the activity this silly question I posted is getting. Thank you so much. Honestly, in my first go around with pipes 1970's - 90's, I never dedicated any - each pipe there shot at what ever tobacco I had. When I posted this question, I thought most folks would reply in the same respect as I had smoked "no dedication" Interesting to see that most folks that have answered seem to have some sort of dedication.

phred:

not familiar enough with the various types to be able to tell whether I'm getting the true flavor of a specific blend, or whether I'm getting some ghosting
    That's sounds like a very strong reason to have a dedicated pipe.

To all... thank you

Posted 5 years ago #
  25. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have one pipe just for Dunhill flake, I find when I smoke other tobaccos (even other VA's/Vapers) through it and then go back to the the Dunhill flake I find it effects the taste.

Posted 5 years ago #
  26. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Any baccy in any pipe. I always did and never found a diff.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  27. bentmike

bentmike

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have three or four pipes for Latakia blends. If I am in the mood for one of these pipes but not the Latakia I will smoke a Viginia in them and I don't notice any ghost or if I do I'm not troubled by it. The majority of my rotation are reserved for Virginias and I won't corrupt them with English blends. I don't segregate based on Va-Per or Va-Bur or individual tobaccos I just enjoy them all in my Virginia pipes. Any more I rarely smoke aromatics.

Posted 5 years ago #
  28. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

nsfisher, I am with you...

"the weez"...
    Posted 5 years ago #
  29. jbbaldwin

jbbaldwin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have pipes that do better with flakes than anything else, so I don't smoke anything else in those.

Just yesterday, I had an absolutely amazing bowl of C&D's Star of the East in a Boswell that I've been using for English blends. It was beyond wonderful. I like SotE but it had never tasted like that. If that happens again the next time I might dedicate that pipe to that blend.

- Write if you get work.

- Hang by your thumbs.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  30. haroldt

haroldt

Login to Send PM

Interesting - today when I logged in, this article by G. L. Pease was on the home page - it fits in with this posting

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/out-of-the-ashes/indulge-your-pleasure/#more-7088

Posted 5 years ago #
  31. pylorns

pylorns

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a couple pipes I put non-aromatics in as I tend to smoke more aromatics.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cossackjack, hoosierpipeguy, oldgeezersmoker, philobeddoe, ebnash