PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiujitsubowl

Can't Leave
May 19, 2015
Muskegon Michigan
I know its a popular trend and I follow it pretty closely as well, to have one pipe dedicated to certain blends. I have been experimenting with a pipe or two lately allowing all blends I enjoy to be smoked out of the same pipe. My results thus far have been awesome. For example I smoked Frog Morton Cellar in a corn cob the the other night and then the next day shoved some Cult Blood Red Moon in the same pipe. You will forsure get latakia ghosting but it makes for a spicey roasted cherry/chocolate flavor. I know this tactic is not for all but its worth a shot if you got an extra cob sitting around.
Anyone else give this a try?

rblood

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 2, 2015
Yep, I have a few "knock around" pipes I use when traveling or at the shop that I smoke whatever blend I happen to be carrying with me at the time in. I enjoy a little latikia cross-pollination.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
My pipes are steered more toward varieties than actual blends. I've got pipes I smoke straight virginias, VaPers, Englishes....and a few that just do whatever I feel like.
I think the main rule in smoking is do what works for you...smoke on!

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
Well seeing that I mainly smoke English blends, I smoke all my tobaccos out of all my pipes. Latakia all around for me baby. I have found that the few VA I smoke tend to do better in a smaller bowl so I will tend to gravitate towards two smaller pipes I own for those.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I have a couple pipes like that on the work bench, in case I forget my dedicated ones. They are affectionately referred to as my "whore pipes".

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I love whore pipes!

Never called them that but I called them pipes.

Then I have special/restricted/allocated for???

Mar 1, 2014
The vast majority of my pipes smoke Latakia and Virginia blends indiscriminately, and then I have a few Lakeland pipes. Most aromatics can go in either set, though a few are more likely to land in a Lakeland pipe.
Which is to say, I'll smoke just about anything in any pipe, with the exception of crossing Ennerdale and Latakia.

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
I actually like to purposely ghost my pipes on occasion. I smoke Virginias and Vapers most of the time, so those go in any pipe. I have a few pipes that I will use when I want to smoke a latakia blend, but every once in a while I like to have a latakia bowl in my otherwise Virginia only pipe. I think that the slight ghost it leaves is enjoyable.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I don't pay too much attention to what pipes I use for what blends. I usually pick a pipe I feel like smoking at that particular time and stuff it with whatever tickles my fancy at the time. No negative issues to report at this time. :puffy:

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
+1 @jkrug
I cross Virginias and aros and even light English blends in the majority of my pipes with no noticeable difference. But I have a couple pipes specifically for the strong English blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the dedication of pipes to particular tobaccos has been overplayed, to say the least. A few people with extraordinarily sensitive taste buds might need to do this. There are certainly a very few blends, most notably the Lakelands, that really will hang on in a pipe chamber seemingly forever. Some people find Latakia problematical, but not so many. Mostly, I don't think most of us have to worry about this. A blend might hang on for the first part of the next bowl you smoke, and sometimes that is a pleasing effect, but it is rarely unpleasant. I think if you designate a cob or specific pipe for Lakelands, if you ever smoke those, and one or two other blends that I may not know about, you can forget about designating pipes otherwise. It's just not needed. I apologize to the ultra-sensitive smokers who can really taste minute differences; to them I say, do as you must, and enjoy your smoking.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Smoking an English blend in a VA, Vaper or Vabur pipe is blaspheny. Smoking a Lakeland in anything but a dedicated pipe is an anathema and is punishable by death of a thousand cuts.
Dedicating pipes to certain categories of blends will make your tobacco taste better, this is an indisputable fact. Dedicating a pipe to only one blend can be nirvana. If you have never tried it, you need to, magic can happen this way. If you try and argue against my opinion on these matters, you will be shot down and made to look the fool, so don't try me. :nana:

danhester

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2016
A.) I don't have enough pipes to dedicate them to certain blends at the moment.

B.) I don't really notice any ghosting effect from blend to blend. If there is, it's gone after a bowl or two. My palate just isn't that sophisticated.
I do have a tall MM General stack shape which I use for flakes and Virginias (and the rare aromatic). Other than that, it's pretty much fair game for blends in all my pipes. I haven't tried any Lakeland blends yet, but I might get a cob for those. I could see myself buying an especially thick-walled, narrow chamber briar pipe for flakes at some points.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I've been smoking a pipe since long before the internet came around where Cliff Clavins who have been smoking a pipe for 6 months school me on the right and wrong ways of what, when and how to smoke a pipe by parroting what they read on the internet by someone who has been smoking 6 months longer than them ;) Thus I ignore all the ritualistic/fetishistic horsehockey and just smoke what, when and how I like. That includes putting whatever tobacco I happen to feel like smoking into whatever pipe I happen to feel like smoking. As I don't smoke any crap tobacco that ghosts, it's not been a problem.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
shutter,
That includes putting whatever tobacco I happen to feel like smoking into whatever pipe I happen to feel like smoking. As I don't smoke any crap tobacco that ghosts, it's not been a problem.
Say it ain't so. You realize that your preferred status can be stripped from you and you will be relegated to lowly member status. The horror, the horror.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I do keep separate rotations by blend. It's no trouble at all to keep track, because they are on different racks. I've got a couple of pipes dedicated to a specific blend, too. It's worked OK for me.

I keep pipes separated by genre, but I do have a few that I will smoke whatever in.

I also find that I can smoke an English after an aromatic for a pleasant "friendly ghost" effect, and a Virginia after an English for one also. Sometimes my most enjoyable Virginia or VaPer smokes were with a hint of latakia ghosting.

Anything can be smoked after a Virginia though, IMO. I find no noticeable ghosts after a Virginia or Vaper.
But, I have had terrible smokes when trying to smoke a Virginia after an aromatic. It needs a few smokes of latakia to rid it of the overly "candle-like" scents. Once the latakia has set it, it's ready for a Virginia.
But, like I said, for the most part, I keep my pipes separated by genre. But, when I do cross them over, I have a system. :puffy:

Status
Not open for further replies.