PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Does anyone remember these from the Chicago Show, maybe in 2007 or 2008? I think it was the Fog City Selection being offered in little one oz tins, which you could buy for maybe $5 or so. Maybe C&D was offering them, too, since they're tinned on the same line and sell at the same table in Chicago.
I wish GLP or C&D would offer this again, even if it was only as a set of five at a time. There are so many GLP and C&D blends that a little sampler pack of, say, five one oz tins, to sample the various collections as a whole without laying out $80-$100 for stuff you might not enjoy.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Those were a special, one off thing. There were two different "sets," a Fog City sampler, and a "Day in London" pack. Each comprised four 1oz tins, a descriptive card, all packaged in a shrink-wrapped sleeve. The sets sold for $20, were certainly a lot of fun, and I'm happy to say we didn't lose too much money on them. Remember, we're not a big, automated factory with a lot of machinery to do human work. Everything is still done by hand - filling the tins, sealing them, labeling them. It's almost as expensive to produce a 1oz tin as it is a 2oz tin, and we have to sell them for half the price. Ouch...
As much as I'd love to have really spiffy sampler packs, at present, the economics just don't allow it. I do know that a few retailers have offered this service, though I don't know if any are doing it currently. But, as we move towards 2014, I'll certainly keep this in mind, and see if I can concoct a creative solution.
-glp

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Awesome response time GLP! It is cool to see that you listen to customer comments.
Perhaps you could tweak the idea so that the samples were in small ziplock bags instead of tins. I am thinking about how the Chicago Pipe Show handled the Balkan showdown in 2011 & 2012. I understand that there would still be a lot of man hours to fill the bags. Sure there are lots of open tins for samples, but the show is only open for a short period of time. It is a wild weekend of many many things happening at the same time. I would be willing to pay the cost of a tin to get several samples to take home and try slowly.
Winton

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
C&D had a build your own sampler:
We offer a Trial Pack, (5 blends, 2 ounces each, you pick'em, including premium blends - pressed, too, if it's available) for $35.00, or 8 blends for $43.00 plus S&H. The trial pack may include C&D tinned tobaccos, GL Pease tins, Two Friends blends, and Hermit Capt. Earle blends but the sample will be 1 ounce.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/oldindex.html

Status
Not open for further replies.