PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Well found in my warehouse a Big piece of briar and then I started to carve a big pipe,probably to much big to be smoked without keeping it always in a hand 8O .It measures 8,46 inch lenght 2,78 inch height,2,75 inch width and weight is 0,4 lb.What think you to much big?
dsc2888.jpg

dsc2887b.jpg

dsc2886r.jpg

dsc2885y.jpg

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I Like it. As always it has a fabulous grain on it. Oh just a suggestion to make it easeier for us over in the USA, if its less then a foot, use inches instead of 0,71 feet. Also we use periods, not commas for decimals over here so for us it would be 0.71

cthulhu

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2011
Can we get a shot of this next to a "normal" sized pipe for reference?

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
Big part of the work has been the hand-cut the stem.If i right rember to get the entire pipe i worked on it about 20 hours and stem has taken for itself 2-3 hours.Sanding lucite it's a looooooong :( work

Maurizio

abecox

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 8, 2010
Holy crap that is some beautiful grain.
You know what they say about big pipes...

Jul 12, 2011
Sweet pipe, I have a few 4oz'ers one by Perry White and one Olive

Wood I carved, both have 1" tobacco chambers and smoke the English

bacci like no others, love'em and that one you carved is fantastic!

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have a couple of Bari Wikings that are close to 8 inches ( 203.2 mm ). Bowl sizes are also very close to your pipe. You've done a great job. I enjoy the grain and the shape, both of the briar and the stem together, it is very interesting. It has a nice organic flow and the swelling at the button end of the stem nicely contrasts to the size of the bowl.
I love the two Baris I own and they are truly hand pipes. I have never weighed them, so I'm not sure what that number might be. I seldom smoke them at one sitting. They are close to a two + hours smoke.
Its rare to have a chunk of wood with such nice grain and so few fills that it deserves to be carved into something special like this.

pentangle

Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
" Its rare to have a chunk of wood with such nice grain and so few fills that it deserves to be carved into something special like this"
Well, not so rare at all.Surely expensive,from 40 to 50 dollars to get selected if you buy one.I usually buy more and price decrease a little but remains still expensive.When i can i choice the briar directely in the warehouse of the producer

mlaug

May 23, 2010
Iowa
Interesting. I had understood that it had become difficult to get quality briar in any size anymore. I'm happy to find out otherwise.
Maybe big pipes will once again be fashionable!

Status
Not open for further replies.