PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
I have been reading the numerous storage and aging questions for our tobacco. I get the use of jars but I have limited space and also travel for long periods and do not want to be with out all my blends. Sooooo, what would be the life expectancy of my tobacco in freezer style ziplocks. I dont care about aging just freshness and longevity. Also why does a jar seem to last longer then a ziplock.
Thanks to all and this site.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
why does a jar seem to last longer then a ziplock.
because the plastic bag 'breathes' and the jar does not ...
as for the first question, how long a period do your travels entail ?
by any chance are you from Alabama, johnny ?

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
You can always buy in tins and eliminate the need for bags and jars. It is more expensive that way, but more convenient. And then there's the issue of a lot of blends that are bulk only......

johnnyiii

Can't Leave
Nov 30, 2013
hertford nc
No, not from alabama but if you ever have a hurricane I might visit. Although I am primarily a hands on home builder and remodeler in hertford nc I on occasion go out on catastrophe adjusting assignments for months at a time. Based on the replies it sounds like I will have to find a shop while on the road, and get a new pipe while im there, cause I cant help my self. The only problem with tins though steve is that I have two open already and desparatly want to try the third so I am off for some jars. Thank you steve and stan. As a new member u2 are my first replies. GOD Bless and happy smoking. Feel free to check out my work at johnjwoodard.com. not spam as I dont go further then an hour away for that

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
For short periods of time, ziplocks are fine - they just don't work for long term storage. Tins are great for travel and long term storage.
And then there's the issue of a lot of blends that are bulk only......
There's also the issue of blends that are tin only, like Peterson. Personally,I can do without bulk only a lot easier than without tin only, but YMMV.

billypm

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2013
FWIW, freezer bags seem to keep things fresh a good deal longer than sandwich bags. Thicker plastic, I guess.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Avoid storing tobacco in plastic bags. Glass is what's used most to store pipe tobacco. But I can understand if your traveling you probably don't want to lug breakable jars with you. So, a good alternative I've found are those stainless steel thermos like bottles you find in camping stores. They have O ring rubber seals and can be hermetically sealed. They're unbreakable, safe and can store tobacco for however long you wish. Course, the more you open them, like glass jars, why the quicker the tobacco wil dry out. I have a bunch of these and I've noticed no loss of moisture after prolonged storage of over a year.

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
Plastic freezer bags work for one, maybe 2 weeks if you are in a humid environment. If you will be on the road longer than 1 -2 week, look into getting a couple of the jar humidifiers. They can be purchased from most online retailers in the accessoried section.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I found out to my shock when I posted about the glass jars I use for storage that there are a bunch of people on here who are OCD about storing their tobacco, to the point of obsessing over rubber gaskets deteriorating 10 years in the future!!! I buy all my blends in 1.5oz tins except one. Regardless how many tins of each I buy to save on shipping, I open them one at a time, dump into a small glass bail-top jar, and then have it smoked up in a couple months. That said, I bought an 8oz baggie of house blend from my local B&M back in 2005 and put the baggie into a Tupperware canister. It's still fine and tasty as in the beginning. So I suggest if you want belt-and-suspenders, put your blends into ziplock bags and put those into small plastic canisters like margarine comes in. Unless you're traveling across the desert or in a tropical jungle without A/C, it will be fine for a month or two easily.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I personally never use any type of plastic bag to store tobacco as it will dry out fairly quickly. I normally have 20-25 tins open at any given time and I store them all in plastic tupperware like containers that keep my open tins fresh for months. Here is a pic of the containers I use, you can see the tins in them. I buy the containers at Walmart and they come in a 4 pack of different sizes that sells for about 6 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.