One Lucky Thing About Us New/Old Pipe Smokers!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdunbar

Lurker
Dec 23, 2017
Arizona
Everything has been so good! I just picked up a tin of Dunhill Three Year Matured Virginia this afternoon and had a bowl while driving back home and another sitting in the yard. OMG! so good! Sooo good!! Every tin I've bought since venturing out of the captain Black and other gas station type tobacco's have been my new favorite!! Just loving them all!! :clap:

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
My wife finally started smoking a pipe, after she put up with me smoking for four years. She a wine fanatic and started sipping on my English blends while enjoying a bottle of wine. I bought her a Big Ben Pipo for Christmas. Last night she told me that she absolutely loved smoking a pipe with me. She said it's one of the most relaxing things she'd ever done. I get a kick out of her starting with Englishes. It's been my philosophy for quite a while that English blends are the most approachable for the newbie. In my wife's case, my philosophy has panned out. I was smoking some Riverboat Gambler while she was smoking Balkan Blue, I let her try some of the Gambler. She said it was to advanced for her palate. I told her one day she'd get there. Smoking a pipe is a beautiful thing, Glad you are enjoying yourself, Jdunbar.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
My wife would love to smoke a pipe with me but her Lupus says no. So she is content to sit with me and admire the room note if it is not too strong. She loves the smell of English blends in the tin but the smoke is too much. Viprati, Klondike Gold, Dragon Flake, Grousemoor, Exotic Orange, and Christmas Spice are her favorites.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The future of Dunhill pipe blends is still uncertain, but you can buy up a supply. I also recommend McClellands Virginia blends. Those seem to be its specialty, with many different blends. Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flakes is another good one, but there are many. PC Russ O.'s Fire Storm with some dark fired is also excellent.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Enjoy the voyage. There is currently an amazingly wide assortment of blends to try so jump right on in. Unfortunately, the situation won't last, but for the next couple of years you can explore and stock up before the blade falls.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
But weren't there a great many blends on the market before 2007? Certainly we will lose a lot, 10 years worth, but if the pre-2007 blends continue to be made we can make it do. What concerns me more are the blending houses that stop making tobacco because the limitations on what they can produce is no fun, or more probably, financially rewarding. The antis strategy has multiple levels: limit the tobacco that can be grown, limit what manufacturers can produce and price tobacco beyond what smokers can pay. As I understand, in England cigars are cost prohibitive except to 6 figure folk.
There is worldwide condemnation of tobacco. I read that countries send delegates to international anti conferences where they plan agendas together. They're after cigarettes and have some 100 years of hard data on their effect; pipes and cigars are collateral damage.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But weren't there a great many blends on the market before 2007? Certainly we will lose a lot, 10 years worth, but if the pre-2007 blends continue to be made we can make it do. What concerns me more are the blending houses that stop making tobacco because the limitations on what they can produce is no fun, or more probably, financially rewarding.
There are a lot of excellent pre-2007 blends that are grandfathered in, for now. The FDA reserves the right to revisit this as well. But you should also consider that sources for pipe tobacco manufacture may go through some changes if growers don't find it profitable to grow tobacco. And if imports aren't profitable, expect the availability of imported blends may diminish.
Tobacco use is an international bogey man. Tobacco users are pariahs, and there's no reason to expect that to change in any meaningful way.
So if there's a blend currently available that you like, and you want to be able to smoke it in the future, put some away for that rainy day.

5star

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
“Really think the antis will stop there?”
IMO this has Nothing to do with antis, who didn’t wake up one day and decide to go after a rather tiny niche market that had done quite well for decades as things are.This is about closing a legal loophole used by the rather lucrative (potentially) vape biz. Increase regulatory costs to drive small players out. It’s an old tactic.Pipe tobacco and cigars were collateral damage. The domestic Cigar industry has its advocates. Florida is important in U.S. presidential politics. Pipe tobacco does not have the same voice; it would be so much better if someone like Jerry Ford - he was a pipe smoker - was in the White House.

On the other hand, one never knows what may happen in the next few years. Federal bureaucrats act arbitrarily. An executive order could make it all go away.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
Does anyone know of a resource where I can find which blends were created when?
This way, if there is a blend on the chopping block, I can stock up now.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Does anyone know of a resource where I can find which blends were created when?
I have used Tobaccoreviews.com. I don't think this method is 100% accurate but if you can find reviews that predate 2007 on a blend you like, it would follow that the blend has been around long enough to be grandfathered in.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Tobacco review would be an excellent resource for finding blends that are 2007 and older.
Jesse, what do you think will happen to small players like Wessex,Astleys, Fribourg & Treyer, R.Will aka Solani? Being as small as they are and not being able to bring new blends to market do you think they will survive? One thing is weird is that I am seeing shortages on many of the flakes I had stocked up on years ago. I would be in a panic right now if I had to stock up on my favorites.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Tobacco review would be an excellent resource for finding blends that are 2007 and older.
Jesse, what do you think will happen to small players like Wessex,Astleys, Fribourg & Treyer, R.Will aka Solani? Being as small as they are and not being able to bring new blends to market do you think they will survive? One thing is weird is that I am seeing shortages on many of the flakes I had stocked up on years ago. I would be in a panic right now if I had to stock up on my favorites.
Harris,
The most honest answer I could give is "I have no idea". These aren't American blenders, so the first question I would have is are there any potential issues regaqrding import/exports? They all have solid products that have been around for years and are grandfathered in. Wessex, Solani, and Astley's are made by Kohlhase and Kopp, Fribourg and Treyer is made by Planta. The underlying manufacturers of these labels are not small outfits. The tobaccos they use could be sourced elsewhere than the US and for all I know, probably are. Granted, Perique is a US product, but it's also a process, so why couldn't that process be done by an overseas manufacturer? The look and taste of the product would change, but as we've seen with revivals like WhiteKnight, it's possible to blend to a profile with substitute tobaccos. That's the blenders' alchemy.

The decider would be profitability. If making pipe tobaccos isn't profitable then pipe tobaccos will cease to be made. I expect that the burgeoning Asian market will be a more important one, certainly more important than the US market if current trends continue. Pipe and pipe tobacco sales in the US have been on a steady decline. So these blends could continue to be made, just not imported here.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jdunbar, you just described the best part of pipe smoking for me - the discovery of new flavors, and the emergence of your own palette for tobacco. Its like when you had your first beer and thought they all tasted the same, and then over time you pick up subtle flavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.