PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Let it be chiseled deeply into the hallowed marble stones of pipe smoking history that on this day, January 20th in the year of our lord 2017 that I, Stephen Wilson of Atlanta GA, have finally, after 20 years of pipe smoking, have experienced the utter joy of smoking a bowl of tobacco all the way to ash and nothing but ash utilizing just a single charing light and a single true light! (Insert trumpet fanfare here)
Location: Lounging with my pipe sitting on my living room floor with a comfy pillow to ease my back against my couch.

Pipe: Stefano Santambrogio poker (chamber approx. 7/8" × 1.5")

Tobacco: Full Virginia Flake (air dried 6 hrs as a whole flake then rubbed out)

Lightning method: matches

Packing method: traditional 3 pinch method.

Total smoking time (approx): 1 hr 23 mins
Wow. Just wow.

I got a smile a mile wide :)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Congratulations. This should make some of the newbies feel better; some are concerned if they can't do it in their first week!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
WOW!!!
I takes me 3 or 4 relights to achieve the same ash results and its all over in about 50 minutes.

snoopy311

Can't Leave
Dec 21, 2016
Truly an achievement worth celebrating. Congratulations! I’m quite certain I will never achieve that milestone.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
I've been at eight years and was wondering just today why I have to relight so damn often. Congrats and thanks for the perspective.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Soon to hit 26 years smoking here, and have done that under 10 times myself. :clap:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I've been at eight years and was wondering just today why I have to relight so damn often. Congrats and thanks for the perspective.
Cause you're either not paying attention or your tobacco needs much more drying before loading! :)
Yes, congratulations!

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
FWIW, I rarely get the opportunity to smoke anything in one go. I smoke up to 8 bowls a day, but between interruptions and other distractions, I actually never see a one-light one-bowl in my future.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I've been at it for 32 years, minus a few spells when I was "cigar-only"......... I think I can count on one hand when that has happened... usually when I wasn't even trying...... Congrats... :puffy:

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
I believe a single light smoke has happened to me just once, however I would be more likely to win an award for most relights!
Congrats on your milestone!

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done sir!!

This day shall forever be etched in the pipe smoking history of your soul. :clap:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
This suggests that if one has to relight then one is not doing it right. This is not the case, relights are part and parcel of pipesmoking surely?
FWIW, I have done (not achieved!) this a couple of times, purely by accident, when smoking some Dunghill ribbon cut blends, the char light taking me right to the bottom of the bowl.
Regards,
Jay.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
No, Jay, we're just saying it's pretty neat when it happens. Familiar with golf? If you don't get a hole-in-one every swing, it doesn't mean you're "golfing wrong". But it's still pretty damned neat when it happens, isn't it?

lonefrog615

Might Stick Around
Nov 19, 2015
Thanks everybody :)

24 hours later I am still telling anyone who will listen. My non-pipe smoking friends think I've lost it!
@Aldecaker-

Best analogy ever...it's like a hole in one in golf. If you don't get it every swing it doesn't mean you are doing it wrong but it is still pretty neat when it happens. Brilliant. That's excatly what it is. A hole in one in pipe smoking :)

Status
Not open for further replies.