PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Believe it or not, I used to smoke a pipe so rarely that I survived for about 20 years with only one MM Legend. It was the straight version; if I wanted to smoke a bent pipe, I would use my trusty old Dr. Grabow Savoy. When I started pipe smoking full time, I checked out MM's again. To my surprise, their bent stems were no longer bent, they were kinked! The upshot is, every bent cob I have bought in the last few years has the stock kinked stem thrown away, and replaced with a straight stem that I have bent properly.
Can anyone tell me when MM started kinking instead of bending? 20-plus years ago, I don't remember them being that way, or is my memory just crapping out?

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
For the definitive answer, email and ask Missouri Meerschaum. I don't remember or else never paid heed to a change in the bend. I'm supposing I never noticed any change in smoking characteristics when the change was made. Though I'd prefer a gently arc, I buy cobs for the utilitarian value and "smokability", not the looks.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Yeah, I buy them for utilitarian reasons too. The sharp bend rests on my lower lip in a way I don't care for, though, whereas the gentle bend doesn't. (I also have a little OCD thing for having the button end of the stem parallel to the top of the bowl.)

Status
Not open for further replies.