PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Forums accommodates the style of conversation that actual conversation often doesn't. In person, the people who talk the most, loudest, or most vehemently often just end the conversation, whereas Forums has room for the conversation to get passed from person to person as a matter of design. I think a lot of information and thoughts surface that might get silenced by the loud voice or excessive energy of a self-appointed "presiding officer." Too few venues of conversation provide for this. I've been to only a few parties where the conversational ball was really passed around. Some Native American tribes had an object passed from hand to hand to signal that each person could speak and was expected to do so. Rather than a few people, or one person, holding forth entirely. It's no small feat.

One of my favorite things about forums is that I don't "have" to read all posts, nor do I have to read all threads. Most of the time, I can just skim a thread to look to see if anyone I like has posted. I am not a fan of really long posts. If it is over 500 words and is about some topic that only vaguely interests me, I move on. But, if it is really long and is about something cool, like finding a really cool Becker pipe in a brothel... then I might just read the whole thing. :puffy:

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Personally, it's humbling to know that you all are waiting around glued to your monitors waiting for me to post.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I think you are right MSO. There are always several conversations going on. Some on topics of little interest to me and some that I find interesting. Or funny.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
ash', yup, I can't deny Forums has had some "stemwinders." And a few members have a genius for banter, can stop you in your tracks with a joke and still stay on track. Interesting crew.

blackadderlxx

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2018
I love forums. I learned like 10 years ago that if you're interested in something, there's a forum somewhere about the subject. I especially enjoy how you can select what you want to be involved with rather than be subjected to content dictated by others. And I can easily talk over people IRL, so I'm glad for the turn based nature of forum threads. I find that the loudmouths like me usually have more quantity, less quality than people who are more thoughtful and slow to speak.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I enjoy the forums and sometimes I think I overwhelm people in person, largely because I don't get out much.
When I saw the word 'genius' in the title, I figured this thread was right up my alley.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I agree that the 'classic forum' setup like this is much more condusive to good conversation than say, facebook or Twitter. I too scroll through the threads and see if there are any names I recognize.
If you are active in multiple threads it is like having multiple conversations.
But the forum setup is only as good as its members. I was looking for help with some of my vintage stereo equipment and joined an appropriate forum. It was very slow moving. Active members keep forums active!

Status
Not open for further replies.