One For Students Of Early American History.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Sir George Yeardley: The Briton who shaped early America.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44944073
I should imagine many books have been written about Jamestown and its early settlers but here we possibly have tangible evidence of one of the main players.
"The Virginia Company (which controlled the colony) wanted a society that was an improvement on England," says Dr[James J] Horn author of an upcoming book, 1619: Jamestown and the Forging of American Democracy.
This book is due for release on 16th October this year and I for one will be ordering a copy. In fact, due to reading this piece I have just ordered a copy of Dr. Horn's "A Land as God Made it: Jamestown and the Birth of America." which going by the reviews promises to be a great read and will make a useful addition to my small library of early American history books.
Regards,
Jay.

bouwser

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 8, 2018
This is pretty cool information. I'll be sure to share it with my History teaching peeps. They could probably use this in class! Thank you

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Interesting! What I've read in the past on Jamestown gives me shivers. What a mess!
Here is the oddest quote- The FBI??
Tests are being carried out by the FBI and Professor Turi King, a geneticist at the University of Leicester who helped identify the remains of King Richard III found under a city car park in 2012.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What I've read in the past on Jamestown gives me shivers."
Can you enlighten me John?
I've also just ordered "A Kingdom Strange: The Brief and Tragic History of the Lost Colony of Roanoke" by Dr. Horn and "Savage Kingdom: Virginia and The Founding of English America." by Benjamin Woolley.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The FBI = forensics. The Bureau has a stellar reputation in this area.
Well, sure. But does that mean they've caught all the bad guys and have manpower to spare?
Jay- Starvation, extreme hardships, murder, cannabilism, biting cold with little shelter. And very little sex. That's what I recall. Could have been an overly dramatic account, but I do believe life was utterly miserable there then.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I would certainly love to pick up that one on the Lost Colony. It's always fascinated me to no end. Being born and raised and living in North Carolina makes it even more interesting to me. I've seen the Lost Colony play on the island of Manteo quite a few times and it's always a great experience. I would highly recommend it to anyone that vacations near or on the Outer Banks at some point.
Jamestown has always interested me as well, but have yet to go there. I'm trying to plan a us a trip to visit Colonial Williamsburg and I want to take a day trek down to Jamestown when we go. I love mostly American history from colonization up to and through the Revolutionary War, the Civil War Era as well as the World War II Era, so history is really exciting for me. I may look into all the Jamestown books as well.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Jay- Starvation, extreme hardships, murder, cannabilism[sic], biting cold with little shelter. And very little sex. That's what I recall. Could have been an overly dramatic account, but I do believe life was utterly miserable there then."
John, that sounds like pretty much all of the early American settlements going by the books I have read thus far. No wonder so many couldn't wait for the next ship to take them 'home'.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm a fifth or sixth generation descendant of Roger Williams, the founder of Rhode Island. The bright side of him was that he was a principled religious pioneer with the charm to trek back to England and get grants to what became Rhode Island, despite his bitter rejection of most organized religion including the Anglican Church. He also succeeded big time after being ejected from Massachusetts. And he was respectful and an advocate for his Native American neighbors. On the dark side, his religious purist traits were such that at one time the only person he would pray with was his wife. I'm not that charming nor that rebellious, but there might be a little of his genetic material rattling around with me. The early days of European presence in the New World (new to them) is fascinating.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Starvation, extreme hardships, murder, cannabilism, biting cold with little shelter. And very little sex.
I'm a bit confused. Is the implication that the cannibalism at Jamestown would have been more acceptable if accompanied by more sex?

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Is the implication that the cannibalism at Jamestown would have been more acceptable if accompanied by more sex?
Everything is better with SEX!... :twisted:

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jesse- My memory of my childhood events in Jamestown is faded with it being so many years ago. But it was awful. We had to walk three miles to school in snow, uphill both ways. Our toys were rocks and sticks, and coca-cola hadn't even been invented!!
Jon- Indeed, that what was I was implying.
Tom- There's a lot they didn't tell us in Fourth Grade!
Jay- Cannibalism, yes! Misspellings, yes. I thought you referred to a grammatical error... As I really do try to proof read and omit them.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"We had to walk three miles to school in snow, uphill both ways. Our toys were rocks and sticks,....."
Well you had it good then.....we lived in a cardboard box in't middle of't road!
Regards,
Jay.

nitemair13

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2018
North Carolina
These will be added to my reading list for next month. I've always been fascinated by the lost colony, even visited the supposed area where they were last recorded as being. Whole place has a creepy vibe to it, but I love American history in general so these will be a must have for my library. Thanks for posting this.

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
If you haven't read Love and Hate in Jamestown I'd suggest that as well. In fact I have an extra copy if you PM me address I'll send it your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.