PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Well that was fun. Just spent 2 hrs clearing the driveway after last nights storm. Running out of room to put all the snow. The silver lining was the 2 bowls I smoked while doing the job. Smoking outside isn't bad when you're sweating like hell. And thank goodness for snow blowers.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Nah, I don't think so. But then again, I'm a winter creature. Heck, I just spotted the guy the landlady hired to shovel around the building and couldn't help but feel a pang of resentment that I'm not the one doing it.
When I worked at a PC repair shop, there were two of us bench techies, and we were supposed to divide evenly the shovelings. I immediately told the other guy to stay inside always, as I promptly appropriated 100% of the shoveling. I'd rather be outside enjoying myself than fixing computers. The guy was Chinese and hated the cold, so he was ecstatic.
I've always found shoveling calming for my mind. I don't think I could smoke a pipe whilst doing it, though, not being a clencher.

3rdguy

Lifer
Aug 29, 2017
Iowa
You need a good 2 stage. I have a Toro that is a beast. We are at 37" so far which is lower than normal but it has mostly arrived in 3 storms.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
My neighbor 2 houses down has a plow on his truck. I’ve given up the blowing and most of the shoveling. Just don’t find much satisfaction in snow removal any more.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
The snow banks are 4 to 5 ft now. The next snowblower I get is going to be a heavy duty one that can blow the snow about 8 ft high.

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Weatherman is calling for 24" in the next 36 hours for us here in the Colorado high country. Fun times ahead! On the positive, we really need the water.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
Whoa! Now that's a storm. Reminds me of when I was young. We had to run a line to the outhouse so's we wouldn't get lost going to and fro when nature came calling. The old folks use to tell us about the fella down the line who headed to the outhouse late one night and never returned to the farmhouse. He was found three days later, as frozen as a Popsicle. A sad tale.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The nostalgia would wear off after the first 20 minutes.
Yep, peaceful beauty aspect wears off about 1/2 way down the driveway.

I bought a two-stage 9 HP Ariens a few years ago, this one throws the snow from my drive over to the neighbors!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It used to be a bracing challenge to do battle with snow, growing up, at my first house, and at this one with a sloping driveway. Old joints make it much less fun, so I'm glad I don't live in the snow belt per se. 'Never owned a snow blower, but if you live where it snows regularly, it's the only sane thing to do.

mau1

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
Ontario, Canada
MSO, I heard on the local news this morning that there were two heart attacks from snow shoveling yesterday . The snow blower is a necessity IMO as we get older.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Where the hell did all these polar vortices come from? Growing up, all we had to contend with was the occasional cold front. :x

Status
Not open for further replies.