PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
When I accepted the challenge of helping this little company survive, there were just the four of us. We worked round the clock. We did things we thought were impossible. And did them well. We pulled it out of the fire and started making stupid kinds of money and enjoyed prosperity.
Just when I thought we would coast a little bit, safe and secure, the owners did what they said they were *not* interested in. They expanded. They doubled our staff. Then doubled it again. Then built two sister companies, each one at times threatening the resources of the other.
And again we were doing things we had never done before and didn’t think we could do. And… again there was unbearable stress. Every waking moment, taxed. Feeling like raging and then feeling empty, emotions bottoming out. Riding that roller coaster day after day, week in, week out, year after year. Feeling older than I am. Sleepless nights and sleepless nights. Clients that refuse to pay. Major clients that threaten to go to another firm. Location after location, story after story. Trying to make deadlines but unable to keep everyone happy.
Tempted every night to just fall into a bottle of scotch and let it all go. Bottle of Jack in my desk drawer, just in case. This one still unopened. Disciplined only just enough to know that road would be disastrous. I need my mind. I don’t have time to be drunk. I don’t dare risk losing my edge.
And then there’s lunch. Lunch is meditation time. Recovery time. Recharging time. I get an hour to spend walking through the fir forest along the lake or sitting at the marsh.
Sitting at the marsh right now is amazing. Geese and ducks and exotic calls of birds I had forgotten during the long silence of winter. Pheasants crowing near me, and across the inlet in the cattails, and over by the stables. Drumming of a woodpecker. Whistling wood ducks startled by my presence after paddling through the inlet to where I am sitting on rocks behind a pile of rotten planks.
I forgot my lighter today. I have only wooden matches. The lightest of breezes is playing the devil with my pipe, tantalizing me. Each match lights, grows in flame, but as I bring it lower to the pipe, flaps out and turns to sulfurous wisps of dead smoke.
At first I’m lighting match after match, trying to get as close to the planks as possible, turning my head this way this time, that way next time. Then I think to myself, Why are you throwing down the matches? Hold onto them. If more than one catches, you’ll have a better flame.
Soon I have six burnt matches. Seven burnt matches. When I have about eight burnt matches, they all catch the flame. And now I am trying to light my pipe with a hand-sized bonfire. The enormous flame is flapping around like a hot orange flag, burning my fingers. Having succeeded in finally getting a fire, I’m not about to drop it just because my fingers are burning. But my fingers revolt. Against my will they fling their conflagration to the dirt. I stomp it out blindly, grinding it in without looking down, because my eyes are focused on the lovely plume of smoke flowing out from my pipe. It worked.
I didn’t bring a tamper and I’m not going to waste time snapping off a branch. I touch the raised ashes down with my finger and test the draw. Still well lit. Thank you, Lord.
I settle back against the stack of planks to watch the ducks, listen to the pheasants, feel the sun, smell the cattails, and study the thick moss here and there on the rocks, still vibrant green from last night’s rain, a little velvet painting of Ireland, it occurs to me, though I’ve never been there.
Now my butt and brain are having a conversation in spite of me, as if I’m not there between them. These conversations are never good. I’ll tell you what was said but leave out some of the harsher language and threats.
Butt is complaining to brain that the rock I am on is too small, too hard, and too pointy. Move the body, brain. Stand it up and find me another place to sit. But brain is telling butt to just put up with it a little longer, just 30 minutes more, 40 minutes more, tops. Brain is on break and doesn’t want to be involved in relocating.
Butt interrupts to restate the case more loudly. Evidently the old man’s butt cheeks aren’t as firm as in his younger years. And now I’m tense again, helplessly caught between them, wondering if I get to continue relaxing or am going to be ordered to get up. I crouch down, afraid of the answer, making myself smaller, less noticeable. Even my own ass is boss of me, and I’m trying to hide from it. Everybody is my boss these days. I can remember when I had higher status. That was years ago, though. I’m just a peon now, a grunt. A hired hand sitting on a sore butt and trying to stop his brain from thinking right now.
I really don’t want to move again. I just got my pipe going. My fingers have returned to normal body temperature, though they sting yet. And I’m sipping the still-warm coffee I brought along. Watch the ducks. Listen to the pheasants crowing. Wonder if there are fish. Look for the woodpecker. Be mesmerized by the breeze making ripples on the water.
Enjoy your smoke.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Today it will be the beautiful little oval Piccadilly and some more Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey. I won't drink today, but I'll still have a taste.
Sunshine today. Calm winds. Temps near 70. A good day for a smoke (but I'm going to find a different place to sit, keep my ass still and my brain on minimum life support mode only). And... I have my lighter!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very nice post 12pups. Sounds like the stress is pretty intense where you are and I applaud your ability to actually enjoy a moment while communing with nature. Important for your sanity. Best of luck with your business too - hope you can change that dynamic.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I can level with you buddy. Although I'm not in the business of well...business... I do carry the burden of maintaining medical records, a crap load of paper work, appointments, pretty much anything involved with maintaining good health, up to date records, fully medically ready and deployable troops for 60+ Marines. Of course this is just a portion of it, as is what you described I'm sure. The point is that the easy route would just be to drown my sorrows and forget what happened that day. But I think it takes a stronger man to say no, than to succumb to the temptation of seeking immediate and only temporary relief. Smoking my pipe is a huge part of my day and really the only thing that keeps my head on straight through these stressful times. It sounds like you have a great smoking spot. I like to smoke while sitting by the sea and watching the ships pass through the harbor. Nothing like the sound of the ocean crashing on the sea wall while the Seahawks crow overhead. Stay positive and smoke on my friend :)

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Thanks, sailorjeremy -- and same for you. In 2008 I learned the only thing worse than being too busy was... unemployment.
Hang in there. My boy is in the Air Force. Sixth year and things have gone sour at his base for him. I can't imagine what it's like for you guys. Seems to me, after serving in Afghanistan as security forces a few years ago, he feels a little like he put it all on the line but it counted for nothing. A petty incident off-base somehow made him the "example" boy for his base, and he's like "Really? This, after that?" His best friend is a marine. They sort of keep each other going. (But maybe I should be getting *him* a pipe, keep him away from beer).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Eloquence under duress ... very nice Joseph!
I really like your writing style from what I've seen so far.

You are adept at painting the scene without being verbose.
We get an unpaid, thirty minute dinner break with barely enough time to avoid indigestion.

However, in the short time that I have, the outdoor courtyard is where I go most.

Every small nature fix that one can get is good for the soul.
Thanks for sharing!

transmutated

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2014
I can take as many unpaid breaks as I like, for as long as I like. Since I took up pipe smoking I am getting paid a lot less.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I don't want to spend any more time at work than I have to. We combine our paid breaks into a paid lunch and a early out to enjoy my cigar on the drive home. 8O

Jan 8, 2013
As always, I really enjoyed your post 12pups. I live close to work (5 min) so usually my lunch breaks are spent at home. But I have some walking trails in the neighborhood, one that winds along the edge of a lake. At least once a week I like to stroll the path with a pipe and just unwind. I have gotten some funny looks (Army base) but I have never really been concerned with what people think. The pipe and the woods were made for each other, and the soul knows it.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
From what I'm hearing 12pups, your smoking spot is a living eden. As pipe smokers, I think most of us seek out little hide-aways like the one you described. It also seems a lot of you guys live in or near the countryside. Not my case, I live in the heart of one of the largest, dirtiest cities in the world, but I still manage to scout myself out a little nook of scenery for a relaxing smoke. I've recently discovered how pipe smoking really contributes to our overall peace of mind.
As far as work's concerned,I'm sure many of us are overworked, underpaid and under appreciated. And not that long ago the stress what jeopardizing my health; I just couldn't disconnect. I simply had no time for myself, but the pipe has given me the opportunity to take my rightful place and treat myself to a moment alone with my pipe, just me and my pipe.
I even have to credit this forum for serving the same purpose in my life: A moment to just walk away from reponsibilities and take that well deserved break. The responsibilities will still be there when I get back!

Status
Not open for further replies.