PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Getting ready to try out some Beacon Extra tomorrow (thanks Secret Santa!!!), I was going over the label and noticed that, quite curiously, the Perique is described as being aromatic. This is something I've noticed before, the word aromatic being used to describe the flavor or a component of an apparently non-aromatic tobacco. Has anyone else seen this?
If, indeed, Beacon Extra is not an aromatic, why would the term be on the label at all?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've seen aromatic used to describe non-flavored blending tobaccos and assumed it is just an inexact use of tobacco related language. Most pipe people, even many in the business, are largely self-taught, so the definitions sometimes get shuffled a little.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Older tobacco books differentiate the use of aromatic and flavored. Aromatic being a tobacco's natural aroma, and flavored being what most call aromatics now.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I've seen it as well. I think, though I'm not the tobacco blend historian, that in England, where they were (still are?) limited in what they can add to tobacco, they would sometimes use the word "aromatic" to describe oriental leaf and perique. In contrast, in the US aromatic tends to mean tobacco with flavorings and scents added to the tobacco towards the end of their processing.

retrogasm

Might Stick Around
Aug 15, 2014
Germans will use 'aromatisch' sometimes in their blend descriptions while denoting the smell of the tobacco, and sometimes that carries over as 'aromatic' in the english description.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
technically perique, latakia, orientals ... are aromatic or flavoring/condiment tobaccos (at least as far as I understand).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
As there is not and has never been a global overseer of tobacco products such definitions as exist are pretty much a "national" thing. And, words morph over time. Many of today's words existed two or three hundred years ago and meant the exact opposite from which they do today.
A wee bit of trivia: "Cock" may mean a male bird or a man's wedding tackle today. Not that many years ago it referred to a woman's reproductive organs.
So, words do indeed mean something. The question is what? And, to whom?

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
words do indeed mean something. The question is what? And, to whom?

Great point warren!!! I might add, "And when."

I have always fount that topic endlessly fascinating and have also been amazed that we, as a species, have managed to communicate at all.

I found out while paint shopping with my ex-wife that, "I really don't care, whatever color you want, honey." (thinking I was being nice deferring to her wants), could mean, "I don't care about our house or you." :crazy:

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I'd love to hear a review on that Beacon Extra. That's one I've been curious to try.

jazz

Feb 17, 2014
UK
To me, tobacco is by its very nature "aromatic". The use of the word "aromatic" to describe blends that I would describe more as flavoured has always irritated me slightly.
But hey, it is what it is and I can see how it happened.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Many moons ago all English blends were considered aromatics. Applying that the term only to tobaccos that have been sauced with flavorings like vanilla, fruit, armpit sweat, is too narrow. Any component with a pungent scent would fall under the category of being an aromatic.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I've seen aromatic used to describe non-flavored blending tobaccos and assumed it is just an inexact use of tobacco related language.
I'm more like to suggest that the word aromatic used in this context is an exact use of the word in a context in which it has been applied inexactly, for a long time. In pipe tobacco parlance "aromatic" is synonymous with "flavoured" or "flavour infused", where in common parlance "aromatic" simply means "having a pleasant and/or distinctive smell".
-- Pat

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Many of today's words existed two or three hundred years ago and meant the exact opposite from which they do today."
Indeed Warren, there are many such words if one is interested in such matters (as I am).
The word "awful" today means the exact opposite of its original meaning which was 'awe inspiring' and the word "artificial" today is suggestive of something false where it originally meant something made by a craftsman, from the Latin 'artificium'.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Decimate meant killing off 10% of the enemy, or plague wiping out 10% of the population. It now seems to mean almost complete annihilation of whatever.
Fine used to mean "thin", etc.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Keeping with this notion of contemporary misuse, aromatic could be applied to stinky, pungent, acrid, funky, odorous, malodorous,smelly, fetid, high, gamy, fusty and gangrenous, to suggest a few. I would never do that myself as I like the redolent fragrance of many aros.

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
I'll have to agree with jpmcwjr. Today's use of certain terms has gotten way off base. As if no one really knows the meanings. Kinda sad. ;-(

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, except meanings do change with time, and that's the way of most languages. Where it's bothersome is ignorant use of legitimate words or terms.

Status
Not open for further replies.