PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
For some time I've been wondering, what is inhalation exactly?
I smoke cigarettes on occasion. When I first started smoking them, I'd puff, keep the smoke in my mouth and blow it out. I noticed that other smokers were blowing out a lot more smoke that I did, so I enquired. The answer: 'you need to pull it in'. Hmm, well, what I started doing was to contract whatever muscles are involved to pull the smoke into the pharynx and then expel it. Yeah, I blew out lotsa more smoke than with my initial puffs. But, is this inhaling?
Or is inhaling actually breathing in the smoke all the way in, as in when one takes a deep breath –or any breath for that matter?
When I started pulling the smoke into my pharynx, I also noticed that I could blow it out through my nose, something I can't do if I just puff and keep it in my mouth. So again, am I inhaling it?
The question has always been there, kinda, but now it has become more important since I started smoking a pipe. Considering one isn't s'posed to inhale (although some people do, I know), a few times I've done the motion to bring the smoke into my pharynx and exhale through my nose. I wonder if I'm inhaling...

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
It's real simple... when you inhale the smoke into your lungs you can feel it, and you know it. All the rest is a non-issue in my book.

brightleaf

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 4, 2017
When I say the word inhale I am referring to in the lungs. You are right that it can be inhaled to different degrees of depth, which is dependent on how much nicotine you want. Depth is basically controlled by how long you continue inhaling. I do not think it is the accepted way to smoke a pipe, but that is neither here nor there to me. There is even some minor technique that can be used for inhaling. To help reduce the desire to cough, or for a cooler feeling, I sometimes chase the smoke inhalation with fresh air before exhaling.
A word of caution. Nicotine poisoning is nothing you want to deal with.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
A word of caution. Nicotine poisoning is nothing you want to deal with.
I hear you there. When I was 'admonished' on my unsmoking cigarette smoking technique, some bloke said I wasn't pulling it in and made the motion of sucking in forcefully as a 'demonstration'. Well, I imitated the motion and got really ill. I remember because we were just about to go into a mid-term for which I had studied quite poorly. No time to go lie down or take something for it, although one kind girl gave me some candies. I finished the test in like 5 minutes, handed it in, and subsequently kinda collapsed on my bench. I was presently hallucinating: saw myself climbing the trees outside the window at great speed without grabbing the branches. Horrible.
When the test came back, it had a score of 97%. 8O
When I do the motion I described when pipe smoking I haven't felt any hit. Which again, makes me wonder that maybe that's not inhaling really. Wonder if that's what they call retrohaling. :?:

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Retrohaling usually refers to bringing smoke into your mouth and exhaling it through your nose. Some blends you pick up flavors better this way I've found. Probably absorb more nicotine this way as well.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
There is no point in smoking a cigarette if you aren't going to inhale the smoke into your lungs for the nicotine effect, unless you're doing it to look "cool", and if it makes you that ill, then it's a real bad idea. :roll:

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
@mcitinner1 -- Depends on the cigarette. There were some very flavorful ones that I savored that way. I wouldn't smoke the average cigarette that way, but I wouldn't smoke just any old cigarette anyway.
@prairiedruid -- My lawyer says that she died of natural causes, and I was just a good Samaritan giving her a decent burial.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
unfiltered Camel-Luckie Srikes, Old Gold+ Gauloises Caporal beforedays I liked them all.Nonetheless on todays Eu market All prerolled'cigarettes regardless of the brand became unflavorful due to Eu Tar&Nicotine content limits//tastewise the Eu Marlboro has nothing to do with those sold in the U.S,

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Wonder if that's what they call retrohaling.
img_20171009_020942-600x487.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.