PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
I, as I'm sure many of you do as well, keep my eye open for Penzance and Stonehaven. Their reputation in this community is mythic. No matter how hard I look, however, they allude my grasp -- but that's sort of the fun of it!
Sure, I could pay a premium for them on an auction site -- but that feels like cheating. With the unending bounds of the internet, my only real limitation is budget so being restricted by availability certainly adds to the wanting. There are other reasons to resist the low hanging fruit of auction sites, inflated prices, or breaking in to certain forum members houses (whose names will go unsaid in case their houses are broken in to and I wrongly implicate myself) to pocket a bag or twelve. Primarily, I have only been smoking for ~ 2 years: I have plenty of other blends to try; I think these blends would be wasted on me as I am still developing my methodology, cadence and palette. As we all know, this is a life-long hobby... and it is good to have white whales to chase!
There are those who say that these blends are overrated or that you can find more readily available blends that are essentially the same... but I still look forward to that glorious, fated day when I hold that elusive golden bag in my hands, knowing that I finally ensnared the beast!
What are your white whales of the pipe world? Or other hobbies at that?
(Clarification: this is by no means an attempt to prey on the famed generosity of this community and pry some ounces loose from your cellars. It would be sincerely wasted on me and would spoil the fun of the hunt!)

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I landed one of my white whales; for years had coveted the Yanik meerschaum pipes. The artistry and beauty of them being pipes at that are just amazing. Well Looking at the price tags I thought there is no way I'll ever be able to smoke one of those. My first Yanik is currently jetting its way across the air to me as we speak.
As far as other things I'm a history buff love history so I'd really like to have a piece of colonial money that I sold years ago to by my wife's engagement ring. It was a 2#6p note that was printed by the Franklin and Hall Printing company dated by hand 1761 and signed by the printers themselves as well as Governor of Pennsylvania. It was certified and sealed in 2" acrylic display that it came in from the NYC auction. It's the one piece I wish I could find again. A man in Mass bought it from me and to my knowledge he still has it. :(

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
Sounds like you used that whale to land a better catch! Unless you feel differently about your wife ;)
That sounds like one hell of a bank note! Have any pictures? When my grandma recently passed I received a 1923 silver dollar: not incredibly rare by any means but it has passed through so many hands that the liberty head has worn half off. It just kind of floats my boat to think about how many lives that piece of metal came in and out of.
I'm excited to see your Yanik too! I've yet to delve in to the meershaum world too deeply but I'm sure the artistry will speak for itself!

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
You're a great writer, drezz. SPC should hire you for their biweekly newsletter
:idea:
Re: white whales- Be patient. Penzance and Stonehaven ship to the U.S. about every 6 months, and it has been about that long since I saw them last. I would say that if you are keeping close tabs on this forum and checking with a few shops, you will get your whales in the next month or so. Both are good- I stock Penzance more due to its value though- there are lots of other English blends just as good. I haven't found anything quite like Stonehaven though, it is one of my favorites for sure. I would love to find some 1983 McCranie's Red Ribbon, and some Pease Bohemian Scandal. Both of those are well worth the hunt from the samples I have tried.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Sounds like you used that whale to land a better catch! Unless you feel differently about your wife
That sounds like one hell of a bank note! Have any pictures? When my grandma recently passed I received a 1923 silver dollar: not incredibly rare by any means but it has passed through so many hands that the liberty head has worn half off. It just kind of floats my boat to think about how many lives that piece of metal came in and out of.
I'm excited to see your Yanik too! I've yet to delve in to the meershaum world too deeply but I'm sure the artistry will speak for itself
Sadly no pics I didn't at the time even think about taking pictures of it. I worked for almost 10 years as an Account officer for a bank so I got to get my hands on all kinds of neat things. Like a box of dimes from the Fed it was $250.00 worth of dimes. Nothing to special except that the Fed sorter works by weight and Silver dimes weight different than new dimes. Because of this silver dimes from the Federal Reserve get rolled together. So my $250.00 box of dimes was all Mercury Head solid silver dimes :D. Right now silver prices are around $20.00 for every one dollar of coinage. Do the math.
Or getting a $10,000.00 federal reserve transfer note in a stack of $10.00 bills from the Fed. That one we had to call the Secret Service on.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My only white whale is the old version of Three Nuns, I am an idiot for not stocking up on it when I had the chance. In terms of Stonehaven. I went on the hunt for that around December of 2012 after my good buddy Shantiques traded a small amount with me and I fell in love with the stuff. It took me about 8 months or so to acquire 14 pounds of it with three of those pounds being 2007 stock.
I got one 8.0z bag from 4noggins and all the rest through either trades( 4 pounds) or from small mom and pop stores( 10 pounds) who have no internet presence. One store sold me 4 pounds in one shot. It is out there if you are willing to take the time and have the patience to track it down. I began calling retailers in the low tax states and found all I wanted. There are stores out there that will sell you their entire inventories in one shot and they will even call you when they get in their next shipment. Stores with no internet presence love guys like us, that take the time to find them and are willing to buy in quantity.

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
ericusrex

Thank you for the compliment! I just have too much time on my hands at work lately since I gave my two-weeks notice ahead of starting at a new company in June.
hiplainsdrifter, cigrmaster

I'm sort of delaying gratification on this one. I have a romantic vision of just stumbling in to a B&M on one of my trips somewhere and finding it. After a year or so of failing to stumble upon some I will fall back on your advice! I can certainly understand the allure of some of the older blends that have since been released but are plagued by 'not as good as the original' comments. I fear I will never know! But maybe I will stumble upon some old tins some day, or actually make it out to a pipe show where some is on offer!
freakiefrog

That's a tidy little sum if my maths are right, and I'm sure the employee who misplaced that transfer note had some explaining to do! Currency in general has always fascinated me -- these things we ascribe value to and just all agree upon. There's a video game series I like called Fallout where, after an apocalypse and the collapse of civilization, survivors decide printed currency has no value and start bartering with bottle caps :lol:

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Whatchoo talkin' bout, hiplaindrifter?!?! Do tell where we can find some...and Dunbar while we're at it.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Drezz01:
Odd how your innoculosly titled post so quickly digressed to hard to find Esoterica blends.
Take a note from Harris' post. Those blends are out there. You've just got to pick up the phone and start building the sweat equity.
But, be warned. What was unobtainable does not - repeat - does not translate to sublime. I've had many bowls of Penzance and it's a nice smoke. And, if I liked VAs, maybe I could say the same about Stonehaven.
Count your blessings that we live in a country where so many wonderful blends are readily available and are there for the asking. And, on a side note, if I could ever find some Pappy Van Winkle I wouldn't be able to afford the going rate, but thank you God for Elmer Lee, Booker Noe, Jimmy Russell and Jim Rutledge, (I'm also old enough to remember when Four Roses - pre-Mr. Rutledge - ranked right down there alongside Kentucky DeLuxe.)
Cheers, pal.
Fnord

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
My only white whale at the moment is a commissioned pipe by Brian Rowley. I went after the fabled Esoterica Penzance and found a vendor via phone calls. They sell over the phone, not internet.

I have about 2 lbs, but don't feel the need to hoard it. I find the easier to fine Escudo more satisfying.

May 31, 2012
JbqJM6F.png
My white whale baccy is definitely an old cutter top of St. Bruno...
+ Redbreast Flake
+ Condor Sliced
+ Capstan Full
+ Bendigo Plug
+ Walnut Plug
+ Bulwark Flake
+ Warlock Flake
:P

etc...
Lob7mnJ.png

drezz01

Can't Leave
Dec 1, 2014
fnord There certainly may be harder to find, more appealing and less cliché blends out there but I've yet to catch wind of them. I was hoping some would come up in the replies and it appears some have!
misterlowercase Perfect images! And I'll certainly add those blends to the list of 'to try's that I keep in evernote. It speaks to my inexperience that the only one of those I have hear of was Capstan Full. Good thing it's a life long hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.