PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 12, 2017
Relatively new smoker. Over the past few years, I've used a plain straight cob and bent Dublin style briar. I take generally good care of them, but recently have made an effort to read up on more thorough care and cleaning procedures so as to ensure a fresher pipe. I recently bought my third pipe, a pear wood churchwarden. The first difference I noticed, as it's been written, is it heats up faster so I have to be gentler with it.

Besides this, I'm wondering if there are any major differences between a briar and a pear wood that call for different caring procedure. For example, all references to applying wax (or olive oil, apparently) regard briar pipes only. Obviously, briar dominates the market, so I understand that. But does anyone have any advice to note when caring or comparing briar and pear wood?

Jan 8, 2013
My main advise would be to never under any circumstances remove the stem from the shank or replace the stem to the shank while the pipe is still warm. It's not as durable as briar and I had two I cracked the shank on lengthwise.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Other than Anthony's advice I can't think of any procedure that would be different. If you were smoking a meer pipe, then there would be a whole load of different procedures but for wooden pipes just stick to the usual routine.
Welcome to the forum by the way :puffy:
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the innate durability of briar versus pear wood means that many briar pipe purchases are for life, if you keep them that long, whereas pear will give you five or ten years, maybe not as much as a cob, which can go on for decades. Of course, if you have quite a few pipes, a pear wood might last a long time, not be smoked as much. But if you are going to have a dozen or fewer pipes, I'd sure stick with briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another point, don't buy pear wood only because of price. There are a number of good briar pipes in that price range or just above. Examples are Dr. Grabow, Ewa at Iwan Ries site, Medico pipes in briar (not the Brylon ones) at 4noggins, just for a few examples. Further, you can often find good brand pipes on sale. I've bought Stanwells at PC for less than $50, and Big Bens. Occasional sales pop up on other pipes; I bought a Tsuge "tasting pipe" at PC for less than $40, that exhibits Tsuge high-end quality. So unless you are especially drawn to pear wood, I would go the briar route. For a while I was shopping low-end for sport, and I could always find jaw-dropping bargains, to my mind anyway. Then my wife and other family and friends started gifting me with higher end pipes, and a Forums member sent me a beauty, so the bargain quest ended, for now. Incidentally, those Ewa pipes at IR are small, but with flake (or coin, plug, or rope) give a full length smoke. Anyone with just a little discretionary spending can have a fine rack of pipes, a full rotation, bought over a year or two at reasonable prices. With good maintenance, many briar pipes will last a lifetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.