Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

OMG OMG OMG

(37 posts)
  1. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, SO... I learned how people can bid stupid amounts on ebay today...

I bid a healthy $802 for the unsmoked Charatan Supreme that was from the George Sidney estate today with 10 seconds left. It wasn't high bid. There was a button to bid $867 and I thought, "Hell, why not!?" I quickly hit the button. There was like 6 seconds left. In that time, the fucking button shifted to $1575. I hit it out of pure lack of reflex control. HOLY SHIT. I am so glad I didn't win with that bid. I would be divorcing forthwith...

LoL. But THAT is how some fool can bid too much on a damned pipe.

In other news, I did get one of the Barlings really reasonable! Yaay me!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Your button finger gets that, "Oh Hell No!", impulse and clicks the button. Been there, and it scares the shit out of you!

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

Congrats on the Barling!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We NEED pics MAN!!!............

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks! It was an emotional time. That was 2.5 times more than I've ever bid on anything on ebay, let alone a pipe. lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Congratulations on your win! Which pipe did you buy?

At the last minute I decided not to bid on the Quaint. I looked at it and realized that I already own better and who knows what the condition really is in the chamber. Of course, the joke's on me, it went for less than I would have expected. I have other uses for the cash right now.

$1575 for a cased unsmoked Pre-Lane Charatan Supreme isn't ridiculous by any means in the collector's market. That pipe is about as rare as it gets. One would have to find a cased set of unsmoked Charatan Underboars to beat it.

It's easy to get caught up in the moment. I went and washed the bathroom floor rather than watch the auction. I'm an addict and I know it.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 2 years ago #
  7. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This is the one that I almost died on.

So Pretty...

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I got this one for $85.50. I got price coaching from Jesse.

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And SOMEHOW, I won this even though it said I didn't!! odd....

To be honest, I think it may have better grain than the unsmoked one. lol.

Posted 2 years ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Got your PM. Congratulations of the M Landaw. You did better than you know. Not only did you get that pipe for a song, but the pencil shanked, thick walled pots are the best damned smoking machines that Barling made, and for my money, about as good as it gets for Brit wood. I don't know what it is about them, but just about anything I put in them tastes and smokes great, often better than in my other Barlings.

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a gorgeous pipe!!

I often have to keep all bidding devices away from me. I drop a bid and move on. Painful at times, but I know how Tourette's finger works. Hard lessons.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sable, I know how you feel about the Quaint. I passed on several pipes from this seller in an effort to win what I deemed the picks of the litter. The ones I let go ended up bargains, and those I tried for soared out of reach. Wyfbane got one of those bargains, and Sable speaks truth about that shape.

I was surprised by that Dunhill Bruyere with the "Geek Wynn" band. I thought that big band would anchor that price to the low end.

Life contains a particle of risk. - Allardyce T. Meriweather in Little Big Man
    Posted 2 years ago #
  13. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Those are great pipes! I've been there before in the holy shit moment on eBay, thankfully I lost most of them.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. tinsel

tinsel

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

the fucking button shifted to $1575. I hit it out of pure lack of reflex control. HOLY SHIT.

... and right about THEN would have been the time that I ruined my underwear, pants, chair, and socks and carpet all at once.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oh you aren't kidding, I wrote my name in my skivvies right then!

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. woodsroad

woodsroad

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wyfbane, you are not alone. I did the same on a Dunhill Unique lift arm petrol lighter in silver. Thank goodness I didn't win, although I wish that I had. Not. Keep telling myself that. Right.

Beautiful winnings, though. Can't wait to see the restorations.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I am so excited to get that Barling now! I thank you, Jesse. You really are the bees knees. Can't wait to clean it up and smoke it!

That Supreme is pretty awesome too. I think it went cheap because of the shape. I think it's pre-Lane, so I am pretty happy with the acquisition.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Dan, You are so right. I have found in this year leading up to my 5th anniversary of pipe smoking that I could have likely bought more than I have. Would my wife have divorced me for this at $1575? No. I would have been in the doghouse, sold a bunch of stuff, and been fine. The thought of spending that much is what freaked me out. I have found that unless the thing has char damage or spider webbing, I am pretty happy overall with all my pipe purchases.

I have also found that I have deep remorse from selling any of my pipes. That is what has limited my buying more than anything: the fact that I don't see me EVER selling them once they are mine. So you are right. I am telling myself that I didn't want that pipe for $1575, but in fact I would be a proud papa if I had won it. Though I definately would have been happier to have gotten it for $867.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

wyfbane, I make my mind up in advance how much I am willing to pay for the pipe. That is what it is worth to me. That includes maybe going over a little bit for cushion to be sure I get it. Then I watch the bidding and hope some jerk isn't bidding it through the roof and if not, in the last 5 seconds I place my bid so that it goes through with too little time left for anyone to respond. My best bid goes in as the clock counts to zero. If I won the bid, I got my pipe, if I lose, then someone wanted the pipe more than me. Either way, I never pay more than I think the pipe is worth, and hopefully, not near what my highest bid was.

To Master Po: Is it not being able to see that makes you tire of life?
    Master Po: No! It is being able to hear!
    Posted 2 years ago #
  20. dread

dread

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That bottom pipe is something else! I decide what I want to spend and am done. If I watch it or bid like that I can easily get caught up in the moment. So I stopped.

". . . I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul."
    - INVICTUS
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Toob, I get it. But in this case, I was warned that unsmoked Charatan was going into 4 digits. I just was praying for a freak of nature and a win with my bids in the $800's.

But if the thing is worth $1575, then it isn't like I would have gotten bit, even if I didn't intend to go that high. Not like that guy who paid $800+ for the $400 pipe, or something.

My largest fear is getting taken to the cleaners. I have been took, but nothing so bad I wouldn't own up to it on here with you guys. So like I said, I am happy with all my buys.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

'Can't do it. I'd get so addicted to the gaming table aspect, if I did this at all, that the pipes would be totally lost in the excitement. I sure wouldn't want to end up with a $1,500 pipe unless I'd planned to buy it for a year or two.

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The best bids are the ones where you come across a treasured find and somehow there is no interest in it at all. Maybe it was listed wrong or no one is looking that week. You watch the clock count down and offer a minimal bid or just enough that you should snipe it out from under the other bidder. My problem with a pipe like this is that I could never leave a pipe just sit untried/unsmoked. If I paid $1500 for a pipe like above, it would become an $800 pipe real fast. So, best thing for me is to just stick with the ones already smoked.

My theory is that if it was well-smoked, it must smoke well.

But in reading Jesse and others all the time talk about their Barlings, they are making me real interested in trying one! I'll be looking forward to see these two pipes all cleaned up and how they smoke, wyfbane!

Posted 2 years ago #
  24. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

If I paid $1500 for a pipe like above, it would become an $800 pipe real fast.

Yep. That first match is a very expensive one. An unsmoked Pre-Lane Charatan Supreme is an extreme rarity. Once smoked it's just another old pipe from a collecto's standpoint. I have a few unsmoked Barlings, the oldest being a cased companion set from 1907. That would be really expensive first match.

Since I buy pipes to smoke them, I don't go after the unsmoked pieces, which is why I didn't even consider bidding on the unsmoked EL. The unsmoked companion set was another matter altogether. The other unsmoked Barlings that I do have weren't listed as unsmoked, so I picked them up at favorable prices. I did predict to Mike that the unsmoked Barling could top out at $600, so not a bad guess. I also predicted 4 figures for the Charatan.

BTW, the guy who paid all that money for the unsmoked EL is the same bidder who bid almost $900 for that $200 Kevin Arthur pipe a couple of days ago. He bought a lot of Dunhills at top dollar and I'm assuming that he's either a trust fund baby, or an idiot, or both.

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. toobfreak

toobfreak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The other unsmoked Barlings that I do have weren't listed as unsmoked, so I picked them up at favorable prices.

One man's rank stupidity is another man's good fortune.

BTW, the guy who paid all that money for the unsmoked EL is the same bidder who bid almost $900 for that $200 Kevin Arthur pipe a couple of days ago. He bought a lot of Dunhills at top dollar and I'm assuming that he's either a trust fund baby, or an idiot, or both.

One thing seems certain, he seems to have much more money than brains as a collector and will likely never see a penny's profit on any of them and will indeed likely lose badly if he ever tries to sell anything.

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. buroak

buroak

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If not for the buyer's Kevin Arthur folly, I would think he was just a bad shill.

Posted 2 years ago #
  27. metalheadycigarguy

metalheadycigarguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hell even the $800 bid was to rich for my blood, because if I bid that much for a pipe my blood would be spilled all over the floor after my wife kicked my butt!!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

One thing seems certain, he seems to have much more money than brains as a collector and will likely never see a penny's profit on any of them and will indeed likely lose badly if he ever tries to sell anything.

I harbor few illusions about profiting from any of the pipes that I own, but I've been lucky with the buys that I made. I'm happy that I bought when I bought as prices have certainly soared in the past few years. I did pretty well with mislabeled listings or poorly presented ones. It's much harder these days to find bargains. Too many irrational bidders. And eBay's software has improved so that many ineptly listed pipes are linked to the correct make. For example, a few years ago, a pipe listed as a Lasieni would not have been linked to Sasieni, a pipe listed as EB WB would not have been linked to Barling. Nowadays, eBay provides those links and takes the fun out of the hunt. These days I'm not really interested in adding to the herd. I still follow auctions to keep abreast of market prices and to enjoy the behaviors of bidders.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Some collectors don't go there to profit or to ever sell anything.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  30. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

Well,yes......my Sasieni eight dot was a Lasieni.
    When I opened the parcel I thought......what a lot of dots.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lol! How long ago was that, Jensen?

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

As an interesting side note, I sent the link for the unsmoked Charatan Supreme to Kennedy Barnes. He dates it to about 1960-62. He also says that Reuben Charatan carved these horns. Seeing the pipe brought back memories of his days working at Charatan.

Posted 2 years ago #
  33. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wow! As awesome as that pipe is, I am glad I am not having to scramble around to sell stuff and get the evil eye from my wife. lol

Now I am curious about the Charatan I did win.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. User has not uploaded an avatar

jensen

Login to Send PM

Wyfbane, well about 10-12 years ago

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Wyfbane, well about 10-12 years ago

I see the beginning of a great story right there, Jensen. lol

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Wow! As awesome as that pipe is, I am glad I am not having to scramble around to sell stuff and get the evil eye from my wife. lol

Now I am curious about the Charatan I did win.

When you get the pipe, take some good pictures of it, especially the nomenclature. Forward them to me and I'll send them on to Ken and see what he says about it. Or you can post them here and I'll let Ken know.

Posted 2 years ago #
  37. wyfbane

wyfbane

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Will do!

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   tobefrank