PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeude28

Might Stick Around
Jun 14, 2016
Anyone ever try an olive pipe?? Anyone heard of Molina Olive pipes, and tobaccopipes.com??

Jan 8, 2013
Here's mine :) An L'Anatra, and I love it!

LAnatra-2-Eggs-smoking-pipe-285-LAnatra-285-Alpascia-img-137987-w580-h216.jpg
[/url][/img]
Edit to add: I've used tobaccopipes.com and I've always been pleased. They ship pretty quickly and everything is packed nicely. They used to be a site sponsor. Not sure why they're not anymore.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Anthony,

That has to be the nicest Olivewood pipe I've ever seen, a beauty to behold!
pipedude,

Here are some links for Olivewood pipes for sale

banjo
http://www.tobaccopipes.com/molina-olive-wood/
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xolivewood+pi.TRS0&_nkw=olive+wood+pipe&_sacat=0
Stay away from the really cheap ones and go with the named ones, especially from Italy, Tom Spanu made great pipes and passed away last year so what you will see is the last of his stock, Paronelli, Molina, Becker, Moretti, Lantara and il Duca would all be great choices, regards.

lasttango

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 29, 2012
Wilmington, De / Ithaca, NY
I've had my eye on this one for a while but I passed. From one of our forum sponsors. I have bought a couple pipes here. They have great service and prices. You can get 10% off your first order if you ask them etc...
https://www.lepipe.it/en/scheda.asp?id=1768

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
[Tom Spanu made great pipes and passed away last year so what you will see is the last of his stock]
Tom Spanu son Massimiliano was working with his father and he is continuing the shop. It looks he is continuing the tradition of his father.

inquisitor3

Lurker
Jun 20, 2017
I bought one in Jamaica, and it didn't look ANYTHING like that beauty. 'Course it only cost 4 dollars, so ...

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
64alex, great news, always nice to see a family member pick up the mantle and carry on with the family business, I wish him well.

banjo

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Here is a link to the thread I posted on my olive wood author from Ryan Alden.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ryan-alden-olive-author-pad-pictures
I love the taste of an olive wood pipe during break in, and also love the way they colour up as they are smoked. Anthony, that is a stunning pipe. Nice pick-up man.
@Pipeude28 - As far as I can tell, Masto Cascia is a carver who sells primarily on eBay. I have not held or seen his pipes in person that I can recall.
-- Pat

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Anthony, gorgeous L'Anatra! I have one olive wood pipe, a Claremont by Spanu with some briar trim on it. But it doesn't have that great contrast like yours. I wonder if some olive wood pipes are stained, and sanded down to get the contrast that great. I like smoking it, but it does seem to get a little hotter than my briars do, so sipping slow is needed.

Maybe we should have a "show off your olive wood pipes" thread.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
@Orley - I agree with you that some olivewood pipes just have killer grain and a deep craggy quality which just amazes me. I wonder if the variety in grain and colour has more to do with type of olive tree or age of tree. Ryan has an early pipe which is made from a very old tree from Jerusalem that looks similar to Anthony's L'Anatra pipe. The wood looks almost foreign to the olive wood which makes up my pipe.
Food (olives?) for thought.
Yes please let's get a "Show off" thread going. I can't believe that Smokybear didn't start one back in the day.
-- Pat

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
Here is my only olive pipe. It is a great little smoker, made by Benner.
benner-olive-01-600x312.jpg

benner-olive-02-600x337.jpg

I've had it for 4 months and it has became considerably darker since I got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.