PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
Anybody know anything about olive wood pipes? I saw some online and they looked sharp. The price was decent too but I've never heard anything about the wood for a pipe.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Wow! That's a pretty pipe. I was looking at some churchwardens made out of it. How similar to briar is it, do you know?

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Oh fair enough... Who knows on here.. You could have been a Vanderbilt.

backyardbriar

Lurker
Apr 26, 2012
Mario Grandi also makes some nice Olive Wood pipes but I have not smoked them. You can only purchase new Mario Grandi pipes on eBay from the seller futurepipes.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
How are those Grandi pipes? They look really nice and seem decently priced but I haven't heard much about them.
Roth, I was only joking. I tend to like to earn things. They mean more that way. Although, my father got me a pipe as a present once and I cherish it. It isn't the fanciest pipe in the world (Peterson Killarney) but it's my favorite. But, I do agree with you. There's a lot to be said for working and saving and scrimping to the day when the pipe comes. It seems to smoke that much sweeter. I'll make you a deal though... If I ever come across a nice big stash of cash I'll get us both an Olivewood pipe to try together.

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the link. I'm off to bed, but what an amazing and interesting site! I'm going to spend some time poking around on it tomorrow. I bet he is fascinating to talk to in person and those pipes are incredible. Thanks for the tip on him, Roth. I may have to waylay a churchwarden...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
quincy, that olive wood pipe is a work of art and a piece with especially fine grain, etc. etc.

If you have a hankering to try a pipe with other than a standard briar bowl, take a look

at Cup O Joes rosewood pipes, @ $20 a piece with a stand. They aren't quite ready for

the museum of art, but they look like they might be pretty good pipes. "My" carver makes

pipes out of Mountain Laurel and others non-standard woods in addition to the usual

briar. Mountain Laurel was used during World War II to make pipes in the U.S. when the

briar from Europe was no longer available because of bombing and other combat and

suspension of trade (I think were the reasons).

ace57

Lifer
Jun 21, 2011
(Yep, Olive wood, though I've never owned one, makes for a good pipe.)
If you never owned one how can you say it makes for a good pipe? Man I wish I was that good.

rockvillepete

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2013
I’ve got two olive wood or olivastro pipes by Tom Spanu of Sardinia Italy and I like them very much. He is probably the foremost maker of pipes from olive and other exotic woods such as lemonwood (limone) and cork for the outer cover. Both pipes smoke very well but seem to be slightly heavier than comparably-sized briar pipes. The effect is subtle but they do lend a slightly enhanced flavor to English and latakia blends. I noticed this more early on when the pipe was being broken-in. Now I’m not even sure if I taste any difference. Olive is a very dense wood and should last as long as briar. The grain and finish color are unique. Nice pipes!
Amazingly, Tom uses no power tools in the making of his pipes. Everything is done by hand. Considering the additional time it must take, his pipes are pretty reasonably priced. His cork-covered pipes are also beautiful and I’ve received more favorable comments about them than almost any other pipe in my collection.

:puffy:

Jul 12, 2011
I also really love the grains of the olive wood, someone also

mentioned having canisters made up for their tobacco (not long term

storage) but I can see myself having a few around for my weeks

rotation or putting them out during a gathering ;-)
Found some :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0029MUC1E/ref=mw_dp_img_1?in=1&is=300

Status
Not open for further replies.