PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariorossi

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2018
Italy
Hello Pipe folks,
i gently need some advices for a problem that i have with two of my pipes.

The problem is the following one:
After a routine clean up of my two Dunhill pipes (with alcohol), i decided, following an advice ,to put a small amount of extra virgin olive oil on the exterior briar of the bowl and shank to polish it. After that ,i let the pipes dry for 3 days. The result is that now, i have my best smoking pipes that taste like frying oil in a severe way. Also when i smoke them, the pipes continues to pour out oil from the wood. I think the oil got rancid and i didn’t check it before using it (very intelligent move).

What i can do to solve this situation?
I kindly ask for help to this amazing forum.
Many thanks
Mario

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Herr Mario Rossi, I'm pretty convinced after a short while You'll gonna have answers that may solve Your problem, but mine first aid is as the followong,do flush the pipe with hot running water inside and out following on with a quick swap with paper towels+ pipe cleaners as usual.

upnorth1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2017
La Belle Province, Canada
Olive oil has a very low burn point compared to other oils. I've used it on wood before and it is possible to over saturate the wood. It may be a case of too much oil, or maybe any olive oil is too much on a pipe. Good luck finding a fix. I'm sure someone here has a good solution.

smittyd

Feb 7, 2018
Pennsylvania
I have used this method before, but i only applied oil to a soft rag and then let it sit for 1 min and then buffed it off right away . I got the desired effect without saturating the bowl. I would have to agree with paulie66 try to rise with hot water to remove the excess oil. Good luck!

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Olive oil can be nasty. I once poured some on a marble kneading slab and it stained it permanently; the stain actually went through the stone: you can see it on both sides. Unbelivable.
I'd try the water rinse, although, oil being insouble in water, I'm not sure it'll help much, but I don't think you can make it worse than it is now.

mariorossi

Might Stick Around
Jul 6, 2018
Italy
Thank you all for your answers. I cleaned the pipes with hot water, now they are drying. How much time do you think they need to rest?

Also, if anyone have other solutions, please let me know.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
If it's me I am going to everclear 190 proof on a cotton Q-tip in the bowl.

If that does not work I am doing a salt an alcohol bath.
But knowing me, I would not listen to a word I say... :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Overnight should suffice, but some would wait a couple of days. In the absence of a buffer, Paragon wax is great for putting a shine on a pipe though in a pinch, nose oil works wanders.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
If the stummel still feels tacky (oil residue), rewash the pipes, and use a bit of dish detergent to help disperse the oil. Finish with a hot water flush inside and out. Towel dry, pipe cleaner in the airway.
You can smoke it in a few hours, unless it's humid where the pipe resides.
Mineral oil on the stem. For now, just buff the stummel with a cotton or linen cloth. (Wax after making sure it's smoking as you want it.)

skaukatt

Can't Leave
I never understood why some use olive oil at all. Personally, I would not as there are a number of good products on the market that will polish your pipe without any residual issues. I have read both positive and negative reviews of using olive oil however, I never thought it was a good idea, for me.
Pick up some Halcyon and Paragon wax or the like and you will be in better shape.
As to rid your pipes of this issue, I'll let others guide you.

davek

Mar 20, 2014
Mineral spirits might take some out. Might ruin the finish too. Is it ruined now? How much of a chance do you want to take? I'd start with immersing it for a while in something absorbent like sawdust or floor dry, kitty litter if it's unscented. Block the bowl interior obviously.
How about packing it in sawdust and then baking it?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I never understood why people would use olive oil on their pipes. I use Obidisian stem oil on my vulcanite stems and a Dunhill polishing cloth on the outside of my pipes. I have been using both for 5 plus years with very good success.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Two things about using olive oil on a pipe. First, a quick wipe on and wipe off in application, the oil isn't polish, it does bring out a certain richness to the grain, much like mineral oil will. Second, NEVER use Extra Virgin oil, use a Light Pure type, the exact opposite of what one would choose in culinary terms. Even after using oil on a pipe, POLISHING is still necessary. Some before and after olive oil and polishing with micro mesh examples.
A Bewlay Special,
bewlayoil-004-600x449.jpg

bewlayoil-016-600x449.jpg

bewfin-0021-600x449.jpg

A Sasieni Old England Rustic,
oeb-003-600x449.jpg

52b-002-600x449.jpg

s52h-003-600x449.jpg

Wiping down the pipe well with isopropyl alcohol will remove the oil. If it's really soaked, smoke it and wipe it again. I've never had a problem with rancidity when using fresh Light Pure olive oil when doing this kind of finish, the final part of which is the application of Paragon, or Halcyon wax, and a final buffing with a micro fiber cloth. But that's just me.
:)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I can't imagine using Olive Oil or anything else the briar might absorb. I would think though that smoking it for awhile would eventually cause the Olive Oil to be driven to the outside of the bowl. Cleaning the inside of the bowl a few times with Everclear will hopefully get rid of whatever burns into the cake. After you've smoked it a number of times, ream out that cake as well.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
@mariorossi, you will be fine. Great advice above. Just wash the oils off and smoke. It will burn off in short time. I went through the olive oil phase and gave it up quickly. Like others above, I now only use a Dunhill polishing cloth on the stummel and it works great.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Wow, I've never had this happen while using Extra V. olive oil. Make sure you don't get the oil in the chamber. Under those circumstances I can see that you'd get a frying pan aroma.
I started using Olive Oil on the stem because of its antioxidant qualities. But I believe the best thing for a stem is using oxyclean and repolishing the stem. Perhaps some one with more knowledge of this method can direct us how to do it properly. Other than that use paragon Wax to make the briar shine, if the olive oil creates to many off odors.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
But I believe the best thing for a stem is using oxyclean and repolishing the stem.
A Magic Eraser, Barkeeper's Friend, and toothpaste can turn a green stem into a black mirror without a buffer.
20180613_180543-448x600.jpg

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not predisposed to using olive oil on briar, but for those who can't resist, buy some vitamin E gel caps, and squeeze some of the oily vitamin E in the olive oil to prevent it from going rancid.
It's α-Tocopherol, an anti-oxidant. (It might even be good for preserving vulcanite stems -- but I've never tried it.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Forget about olive oil altogether. Use obsidian oil if you want to buy mineral oil at a very inflated priced. Do not use alcohol before exhausting less severe methods of cleaning. Might as well keep the pipes in great shape for your heirs!

Status
Not open for further replies.