PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
So, before reading on here enough, I became excited about restoring and rusticating some old briars; a Dr. Grabow Viscount, an "Imperial", "The Rampart by Danco; and a "Pipe Maker." I read about a few people using olive oil and since I wanted to try some things before actually getting stains or other finishes, I tried it on them after rusticating and sanding. Probably used an awful lot too, because, well... it made the wood look really good. So now I'm reading many people warning of olive oil going rancid... sounding pretty nasty, although a few people say they've never had it happen. I am wondering if it would help if I do something to encourage the drying (like oven, hair dryer, sunlight outside) or if there are any other suggestions to help keep this from getting bad?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, it will go rancid in time, but it may not be a problem. Just wipe off the excess, smoke and enjoy. A well handled pipe will have most of the oil rubbed off before it goes really bad. But Mineral oil won't turn, is readily available and works at least as well.
It doesn't dry so much as soaks into the wood. (but only a tiny bit soaks in)

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I like Dr. Grabow pipes, but despise the shiny, cheap-looking finish used on most of their newer smooth pipes. So I always remove the finish from them. I used olive oil on a couple of them, just to put a darker color into the briar. This was two to three years ago, and no sign of rancidity yet.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
I rubbed it in pretty good, I think it started to show darker inside the bowl, is that even possible??? These are pipes I acquired very cheaply, 2 of them were 2 dollars each, so its not a catastrophe in that sense, but I would be sad if these first experiments ended up unusable or something. I wonder if there is anything to rub them with that might especially soak up the oil? Just brainstorming I guess. I will definitely look for mineral oil, thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know there is the inclination to want to put something on a pipe to make it shiny, but most of the time, the best shine is a good polishing with a cloth, a polishing cloth if you have one. Polishes tend to leave residue. A small amount from time to time is okay, but not needed. If you want to cheat a little to polish a pipe up to sell it, we'll look the other way. Mostly, don't try to make them look brand new, just spiffy and well kept, is my advice.

Yeh, usually you can bring up a shine with just any cloth and some elbow grease, but a polishing cloth has the best formula of tooth and softness for bringing up a shine quickly. We get so used to buying products and using products for problems we don't even have. But, if I wax my pipes with even carnauba wax, the very next time I smoke it, it will be back to that matte/dull look. But, just hitting it with a cloth every time takes care of the shine, without having to buy anything.
I used drier sheets for every time I washed my clothes, until a girlfriend asked me if I had a terrible problem with static cling. I wasn't sure because I always used a drier sheet. I didn't even know that static cling was the reason I was using it. So, now I just save myself the money by not buying that product at all, and I've never had static cling. Like that would be so terrible anyways, ha ha.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
So, now I just save myself the money by not buying that product at all, and I've never had static cling. Like that would be so terrible anyways, ha ha.
c9a510fdd6ef613b599e1c59d5ea61a3.jpg

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I wouldn't worry about it. I use Extra Virgin Olive Oil on my pipes with no ill effects. My pipes always smell nice and sweet. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis though as I imagine that too much of it would (for lack of a better term) "gum" them up. I only put it on about once a year.
When I put it on, it is a light coating that I vigorously buff off with a clean cloth after a few minutes. I have been doing it for over a decade and have had no problems. DON'T put it inside of the bowl though.

oldpipesoul

Lurker
May 12, 2017
Like those cats. Thanks for the replies, helps not worry so much and now I know to be more careful.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Never had a problem with using olive oil . Works better than ear wax or nose grease . You will find that your fingers will soak up the excess over time anyway . And it will take two to three years for EVOO to go rancid . You could go mineral oil I hear it is good for constipation , you could get food grade cutting board oil . A small bottle should last forever .

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
You should really give this a try. It works a charm: Howard Butcher Block Conditioner. Ingredients : Food grade mineral oil stabilized with vitamin E, beeswax, and carnauba wax.

I apply it, let it sit for 10 to 20 minutes and buff off with a cotton cloth that is now impregnated with it and it's good for a quick polish. Home Depot carries it in 12 oz bottles for $7. Not much more than high grade olive oil.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
And it will probably last a life time in the bottle or on the pipe. Some more costly waxes made for pipes is also available, probably with more Carnauba wax than the above, but at 30x the cost of Howard's.

oldmansmoking

Part of the Furniture Now
May 13, 2017
UK
Don't worry I have always used vergin olive oil with no problem, I put it on the briar and also on the mouthpiece particularly the valconite ones. I whipe it on buff it off using kitchen towel, and finish with a cloth.
Oldmansmoking

Status
Not open for further replies.