PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Here's the review. This is my first review so please be gentle.
Ole Shenandoah Barrel No. 76
Blend of Burley & Cavendish By Pipes & Cigars.com, Russ Oulette?
The blender’s description - Imagine a blend of warm butter with just a hint of vanilla and honey, then add sweet nutty overtones to round out the flavor.
My pipe was a new grab bag cob. I like to use a fresh, cheap cob when trying a new blend.
Tin Note – A pleasant earthy note with the mild promise of something else on the sweeter side. I found it was ready to smoke right out of the tin w/o drying out.
With the char light I get a full but mild tobacco taste w/o a hint of the Cavendish. The Burley asserts itself right away but it is a mild tobacco taste, not an overwhelming taste of a stronger Burley , Latakia or Perique. If the stronger flavor is what you are looking for, stop right now and go smoke your favorite Lat bomb or Perique blend. To my tongue the Burley is a mild but nice tobacco flavor.
On the true light there is still a full Burley tobacco taste with “something” in the background. As you smoke the first half of the bowl the Cavendish then comes into play as the smoke rolls around your mouth. It imparts a mild background sweetness. It in no way asserts itself into the puff but rather as an aftertaste as you blow the smoke out.
Midway through the bowl the flavor settles down into a mild and pleasant smoke with Cavendish continuing to impart the hint of sweetness. Honey & vanilla? I’m not sure about the honey but the sweetness does remind me of a very low hint of vanilla. It is very smooth and pleasant.
At the bottom I was able to smoke the bowl all the way to ash without getting tongue bite. In fact, in order to get anything like a hot bowl or anything approaching tongue bite I had to consciously puff too fast and hard.
Conclusion – While I’m not sure of the nutty or honey flavors, this blend is a nice smooth smoke from the top to the bottom of the bowl. As I stated earlier this is a nice mild smoke so anyone looking for a full, strong tobacco experience should look elsewhere. I prefer mild smokes but usually prefer something with a slightly stronger, but still mild vanilla taste (4th Gen 1957 is my daily smoke). However, I can see me smoking this when I want a change of pace and need a more tobacco tasting flavor.
Bonus coverage – I then compared Barrel No. 76 to Lane 1Q. They are indeed very similar and my review of 1Q would be almost identical to my review above. BUT…..Barrel No. 76 is Burley & Cavendish while 1Q throws some Virginia into the mix. The Virginia throws in another level of tobacco sweetness as opposed to an added flavoring. I could see anyone liking one blend liking the other as well. Both are very mild bite-free blends I would recommend to anyone looking for a mild “tobacco” tasting aromatic blend.

apatim

Can't Leave
Feb 17, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
Interesting... I just received a tin of Barrel No. 76 and really like the taste. As a newbie, I don't understand most of the terms/descriptions you used but concur that it's an enjoyable flavor and guests to my home said they loved the aroma.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
This is a blend made in the USA by Scandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Limited. Thanks for posting this great review! Burley is one of my favorites. With the Pipes & Cigars special offer of BUY ONE GET ONE FREE I now have 6 unopened tins and now I'll open the first one after reading your review. Thanks!

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
apatim & Durham, thanx for the kind words. Also thanx to Durham for the update on the blend's origination.
Mods - is there any way I can update the review to correct the blend origination info??
Happy puffin' all,
Dave

flipflopsandshades

Can't Leave
Dec 12, 2010
Anyone else care to give their impressions on this blend? I am considering placing an order at P&C if I can be convinced that it is worth the $.
Thanks.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
For me, a newer pipe smoker with an affinity for aromatics, this is an all day smoke. I ALWAYS get compliments from the wife or friends when I smoke this blend. I've only smoked it in a bent briar, so I'll have to give it a shot in a cob. It smokes without any bite and stays lit fairly well. I want to experiment with drying it a little, as I've been just stuffing directly from the tin.
I highly recommend this blend to anyone who likes 1Q or easy smoking, sweet but not TOO sweet blends.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I've been on the lookout for another aromatic blend to test for wifely approval (I seem to have acquired rather a lot of "Stinky Englishes" and Va/Pers) - and this one sounds promising. Been meaning to pick up a Mark Twain cob as well, so the timing is almost perfect...

jmsutton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2014
LOVE this blend. One of my favorites for sure. Great review. I have finished two tins and one was definitely more prominent in burley, as you mentioned. The other seemed to have a little more honey and nutty flavor, but not enough to think it was a different blend. I love this stuff. Great Post.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
This is one of my 3 favorite blends and I have about 20 dated tins sitting ready for the aging process to alter the taste. To be honest the burley is very mild and cavendish just right. Low nicotine and no appreciable tongue bite. A great smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.