PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

colcolt

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Anyone like any of the old standbys like Prince Albert, Sir Walter Raleigh, Half n' Half or Captain Black? I took a liking to Captain Black but suppose my favorite will always be Autumn Evening and Lousiana Red.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
My "old standbys" are Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half-and-Half (though not the current iteration), Edgeworth Ready-Rubbed, Sutliff's current iteration of Holiday, and Grainger. Nothing fancy here, but I find each pleasant and comfortable in their own unique ways. The best part is that these pipe-tobaccos serve as portals back to the days of my grandfathers (one of whom died when I was only 11, and the other who was gone well before I was born), and I find solace in enjoying them as they did.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I really dislike the codger burley pouches. Too dry, nutty and one dimensional. Light it and forget it blends, but I'd rather just forget em all together. I used to like Captain Black when I first started smoking, but tried a pouch early in the summer again and realized why I had stopped buying it and didn't go back: too much casing. Just give me some straight VA flakes or some VaPer and I'm good.
I'm a quality over quantity guy.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I remember a fellow on the forum that was totally enthralled with Black House. I need to try that some day.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Black House is hardly a "codger" blend but it is a very good one. You may want to consider trying Magnum Opus as well. Russ O. blended it for his personal use.

As for aromatics this is the perfect time of year for Autumn Evening.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've tried no less than 20 blends but none tickle my fancy like Autumn Evening. I have to say Louisiana Red comes close. Hafling's Leaf is another good one.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
I haven't returned to "codger" or OTC blends since I left them in the dust years ago. I moved on to (subjectively) better blends. I cut my teeth on Captain Black back in the mid to late '80s but it became too "goopy" for me. It might be interesting to go back and try some now that I have better piping technique and understand my tastes and blends better. Let me smoke a bowl and think upon it......
Dave

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've found my taste is fickle in that what I like today may taste like burned wood tomorrow. Escuda was once good but now I can do without it but, Autumn Evening has been most faithful. I never tire of the maple smell.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
I've tried all kinds and still have lots more to savor. I've never smoked Sir Walter Raleigh but aim to try it. I've seen it around as far back as I can remember. I think I'll buy a pouch and try it out. I've tried quite a few I just didn't like from the very get-go...Frog Morton comes to mind.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I can honestly say I've never had Captain Black, Sir Walter Raleigh, Prince Albert, Carter Hall, Half & Half, and/or Velvet. I have had Granger and Edgeworth Ready Rubbed. Both of which smoke very well in a cob. One of these days I'll pick up the old classics but for the time being I'm good with all the baccy I've got.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I used to love Captain Black, white label. Smoked it for years. Then I moved onto other stuff. A couple of years ago I picked up a pouch to try it out again. I was curious how I would respond. Blech! It tasted vile, way over flavored. And it actually stung.

My fallback, when I'm tired of my "sophisticated ways" is still a McClelland bulk blend, Danish Delight, that's a mildly vanilla flavored tobacco. Bland as hell, and so damned congenial. I pulled out some Lane RLP-6 today that I had bought last year and jarred. Also blech! Maybe it would do as a rat poison.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
Dunhill's Dunbar is about as nasty to me as Frog Morton...or any of the Frog Morton's. It don't even smell good. MV-1000, IQ, Autumn Evening, Hefling's Leaf and Louisiana Red are among the best I've tried but,that's only the tip of the ice berg.

munday

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
The oldie tobacco is good stuff or it wouldn't still be here - I have an old (79) neighbor (Navy) who created his own mixture - Mixture #79 (40%) - Half & Half (40%) - Medium

Cherry (20%) - - I call it the "Old Fart Blend" after this old guy - his name is Dick Beaver - yea - that's his real name. I have smoked "Old Fart Blend" and it's pretty damn

good. My usual favs have Latakia in the blend usually with some Sweet Virginia - my #1 got to tobacco is Lancer Slices! I am going to take the "Old Fart Blend and replace

the Medium Cherry with Latakia and see how it is - will be interesting. Semper Fi

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
Captain Black is good. I was desperate and got some smokers pride once. It wasnt terrible either. There are more complex tobaccos maybe, but so what?
You can get some real complex Indian food and be ok with buttery toast the next day. Why not vary your tobacco?
=D

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
I always keep some CH around. There are times when I really like the nuttiness. A cob full of CH with a cup of black coffee can be a very nice way to start the day. Not complex in any way, but satisfying when I'm in the mood for it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There's a reason the old standard used-to-be over the counter blends have lasted around a hundred years.

They can also be dressed up with a little mixing with other blends or blending tobacco, but are usually

pretty good smoking on their own. People tend to associate their enjoyment with how much they spent.

I enjoy some of the upscale blends for sure. And now, C&D and others do incredible things with burley

tobacco. But I find a bowl of Carter Hall, Granger, PA and the others, a good smoke. I think those who

can't enjoy them may be missing something.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've got and enjoy in this order: PA, SWR, and CH. Just getting into my first tub of CH...so..maybe it'll make me fond after awhile.

colcolt

Jun 11, 2012
When I first tried Escuda I liked it but after smoking the entire tin it started giving me a burning sensation on the tongue. Never bought anymore. I need to try CH and Mixture 79.

Status
Not open for further replies.