PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2014
I'm An inexperienced returnee after many years! Got two pipes, a Milville estate (turned out to be a Mini) straight briar and unusual green coloured Nypla straight acrylic?/meerschaum lined? off ebay (not quite sure what it is!). I've mostly used the "unusual" pipe for experimentation, being conscious of fouling up the briar. I'm anxious to extend the collection for pipe rotation, yet a simultaneous collecting addiction appears to be taking hold!
I've looked in the usual places for good estate briars e.g. Peterson, Savinelli, and been tempted by some used relatively inexpensive hand made gems, Zettervig, Upshall, Invicta, HH etc. I'm torn between these and going for something totally different e.g. a new Mr Brog in pearwood, maybe a pipe in olive wood, or a meerschaum? A bent or half bent is surely the next choice anyway. I'd really appreciate some advice from you gentlemen of great experience before making a total idiot of myself, as my purchases so far, whilst they smoke fine, I think could have been wiser ones...

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Pear and Olive? Not real sure about those. I do have a Ropp Cherry.

Sounds like a healthy curiosity developing and most of your questions will need personal investigation.

Time to look for a couple of pipe racks.
and as usual, Welcome to the forum.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Welcome to the forum. I'm a big fan of Mastro Beraldi pipes (I have 6). I think they are at least on a par with the higher end Savinelli pipes. They are priced well and each pipe is a one-off. No two are alike.

Good luck with your pipe pursuits and keep us posted.

macabra11

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 14, 2014
Boise, ID
First off, welcome to the forum. You'll find there is a wealth of knowledge and guidance. If you have a question, just ask and you won't be disappointed!
While it's not considered "sexy" by most, I would recommend getting a Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. These pipes are cheap, light weight and offer a great smoke. Really nice for trying different blends of tobaccos (much like a meer). If you really want to snaz it up and give the cob an upgrade, I'd suggest replacing the stem with one from Walker Briarworks. AMAZING difference in his stems from the stock MM acrylics. When I first wanted to smoke a pipe, I did not think cobs were very attractive or worth trying, but I was wrong.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Welcome to the Forum. What is your budget? As many on this forum can attest, it is VERY easy to go over board with pipe and tobacco purchases. Tobacco is currently relatively inexpensive, particularly bought in bulk. But if you were a pipe smoker from decades ago you will find the choice of tobacco dizzying now. With the explosion of the Internet you will also find that there are literally thousands of pipe makers. Study and buy wisely is always the best advice. And just to keep you focused, search TAD and PAD to find out how addictive this hobby is! Good luck...

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A Milville! What a great marque to have at this stage. I hope it smokes as well as mine do. I do not know where you reside but, estate sales and garage sales good places to look for pipes. I am averse to buying sight unseen and unfondled pipes nor am I apt to buy used pipes. Should I stumble onto one that attracts me, I wouldn't hesitate to though.
So, I do the weekend garage sales now and then, usually looking for something specific for the shop. I've seen Petersons, Dunhills and more than a few Grabows and others. Usually in terrible condition with the people selling having no idea of the value.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm the Forums budget monster, but I would take a look at Stanwells at Pipes and Cigars, one of our sponsors, if

you want to build your rotation with excellent pipes that have moderate prices. Even if you are after something

more exotic at this point, be aware of these. I think P&C has them at unusually good prices -- brushed black and

brown, silk brune, and others. Just be sure you are getting the filter (or no filter) you want. Some are filterless,

which seem to be Forums preferred, and some are 9 mm if that's what you like. Right now you can get the brushed

pipes for $49.95.

Oct 16, 2014
Thanks guys for your welcome and much valued experience, proving just what an exciting adventure I've embarked upon, given your enthusiasm and the vast number of directions it seems I can take.
To answer a few questions, firstly I'm UK based, secondly I have a very tight budget for my fledgling pipe hobby, so am limited to estate bargains and interesting lesser priced options. I recently missed out on a nice looking unsmoked Holger Haettich hand made briar(Bag model I think) which sold for peanuts! Any experience of this maker?
The best internet pipe smoking resources are undoubtedly US based. There's nothing like the vast resources of this site in the UK, and my local tobacco store has some staff of limited experience. I was looking to expand my tobacco repertoire beyond Gawith & Hoggarth aromatics e.g. to some of the finer tinned blends but one seller keeps pushing ever more G&H aromatics! Recommended brands I've read about e.g. Lanes 1Q and Captain Black are unavailable here. Apologies guys, but yet more questions it seems...

papajoe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 9, 2014
I'm not very experienced and don’t smoke for long time. I'm also on tight budget so I can't afford the higher class pipes (yet). I have 2 Mr. Brog's made of pear wood and one Gaspariny made of briar and I can tell you I like my Mr. Brog's "boxer" better than my briar Gaspariny

Status
Not open for further replies.