PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

64alex

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2016
I am curious to find out the oldest pipe tobacco blend still in production with no interruption in production from the same manufacturer with no change in recipe. Any ideas?

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Just a guess on my part but I'd say a couple of the Samuel Gawith blends would qualify. 1792 and Grousemoor have been around since the early 19th century from what I understand. In the USA I would guess it could be Prince Albert.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
This is a tough one.
Every pipe tobacco company will change formulations over time. Probably more frequently than you might imagine. Most manufacturers have changed hands and/or changed locations, management and certainly production techniques frequently. Leaf changes every season.
Prince Al was introduced by Reynolds, but subsequently sold to Middleton, then Altria in '07.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Condor Plug is probably close the late 19th century original and as previously mentioned some of the S&G blends. That been said changes in leaf, soil, fertilizers used and many other factors effect the final outcome. Does it taste just like it did back in 1900? Who the hell knows!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Samuel Gawith sounds like a good guess to me. For U.S. blends, Prince Albert and Granger might be pretty old. There might be a blend or two in the Iwan Ries inventory that would go way back, although I think their venerable Three Star Blue only goes back in its present form to the 1950's. As someone pointed out recently, blends change to some degree with every season of tobacco growing in every region of the world, so we are only talking about the longest existing brands. Really old ads in newspapers and magazines might supply other clues, at least well back into the 19th Century. Many fairly recent brands or revived brands like to give the impression of antiquity, so that also confuses things.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I am curious to find out the oldest pipe tobacco blend still in production with no interruption in production from the same manufacturer with no change in recipe. Any ideas?

Samuel Gawith, established in 1792 and going since then. I'm not sure if 1792 flake is actually from 1792, it just states

Named after the year that Samuel Gawith first began blending fine tobaccos in Kendal England, 1792 Flake is Gawith’s biggest selling flake. Produced from dark-fired leaf, stripped, pressed and subtly flavored with tonquin bean to produce a slow burning, spicy and full flavored smoke.

Considering all of the blends that are now blended by other companies, SG would be the most definite answer to your question. Crops and fertilizer would of been changing every year back in 1792 also.

Mar 29, 2016
I've read somewhere that in the 19th century, they used asbestos and bacon in some mixtures and you had more than 3000 mixtures and as many plugs and ropes. The list of additives was out of this world, so thank god most of those mixtures didn't survive. Modern quality control plays a big role in the survival or integrity of pipe tobacco mixtures. Let's not forget that even if tobacco is produced the world over, only a few big companies, I'm thinking BAT, STG and the like have the last word in changing the recipes according to the available crop. So again what's in a name.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of our resident historians may be able to reverse engineer this question a little, look at what was reported as a standard blend or single leaf in the seventeen hundreds and look how that evolved forward to something that is branded today. It might not be the brand that reaches into the past, but the basic tobacco or tobaccos might be the same, as much as possible given the evolution and mutation of the tobacco plants themselves. I think we're discussing the European and colonialist adaptation of tobacco. The Native American use of tobacco is a whole separate cultural, anthropological, and archeological discussion; maybe some Native American Forums members can sort that one out.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
According to britannica.com, Prince Albert brand crimp cut long-burning pipe and cigarette tobacco was introduced by the R.J. Reynolds Company in 1906.
...but subsequently sold to Middleton, then Altria in 2007. That knocks it out of the running.

piperray

Lurker
Dec 27, 2016
Gawiths Commonwealth, 1792 and propably Skiff Mixture as someone mentioned Condor is from early 1900.

-Ray

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Names (Trademarks) are all that survive.

Bingo.
Somewhat related, it seems like until about twenty years ago, so many popular American blends had deer-tongue in the mix or some form of coumarin in the casing. That's got to knock a number of aros out of the running.

Status
Not open for further replies.